Wanting a HB, but MW will be out of town - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've wanted a HB for my 2nd baby ever since my first was born. My first child was born in a birth center and everything went wonderfully, no complaints. I just want to have the experience of a HB for this baby.

I found a midwife I really like, but the problem is she is going out of town about a week or so before my due date. My first child came a little early (still full term) and I'm very uncomfortable with the fact that she may or may not be there. She's got backups in case, but I want this baby to be born with the person I spend the next 34 weeks getting to know, not some random stranger!

I don't know what to think about any of this, and honestly it's but a damper on my spirit and it's making me think of giving up the whole idea of HB all together and going back to the birth center (although I HATE the thought of riding in the car during labor again!).

I just think if I'm going to hire someone for this journey, they can't miss the big day!

Advice?
#2 of 5 Old 01-12-2010, 05:40 PM

How much will you be able to meet/get to know the back up? Are there other homebirth MWs you could consider?

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know. We have a meeting with this midwife in the next few weeks to find out all the answers to these questions. I'm currently trying to find some other MW's I could use. I guess my thing is signing on with a MW who has a really good chance of not being there for the delivery, so it just kind of seems like a waste, does that make sense? Not to mention, wondering from now until the due date, is she'll be here or who will be coming in her place.
#4 of 5 Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 AM

There is a high chance that my m/w won't be attending my birth. She has another client due 2 days after me & for some reason I have it in my mind she won't be here for my birth. I do adore her back up midwife, so I am okay with the switch if she isn't here. I am sure it will set me back a bit, though, labor wise to have a change--but nothing I can't handle.

Think about it some more & talk to the midwife about your concerns. Maybe the back up midwife can do a few prenatals with the primary m/w & that way your mind can be more at ease.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#5 of 5 Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM

Don't give up your right to have a home birth due to your midwifes possible departure. I suggest seeing if you are comfortable with her back ups and scheduling a few appointments with them as well. Or, finding another that supports the time you need her to be there.

'09   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page