What made it amazing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 03-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everything was on my terms.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#32 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM

I could steal quotes from so many who've already responded!

The baby was safe and I didn't need to worry. The midwife handled her as a person, no suction, held like a baby, given to me right away. One of my favorite birth pics is dh standing in the kitchen with my freshly wrapped dd. He's drinking tea in our kitchen while I was having my 2 midwives help me get a shower and back into bed. I was brought my soup in bed and could completely relax. My mom heated me up a blankent in the dryer and covered me...no where to go....nothing that had to be done.

Another great part for me was the fact that my sil, who is my best friend but was against homebirth, could still drive over a few minutes after the birth and be there to celebrate. All of the tension about the disagreement was gone and she was happy for us.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#33 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM

There were so many amazing, wonderful things about my homebirth!

First would be pulling my baby up into my arms and holding, kissing, snuggling and cuddling him. I was the first to hold him and I didn't have to let him go until I was ready. DD was born with a nuchal cord that was cut before she even emerged (it was unneccessary, the cord was only draped, not wrapped, around her neck) and was whisked away before I even got to hold her. She was shaken, suctioned and generally man handled for nearly half an hour before I even got to hold her. All of that due to the hasty, stupid mistake of cutting the cord before she was able to breath on her own. I vowed then not to step foot in a hospital again for birth. DS was born with the same nuchal cord in the same position. The mw gently looped the cord back over his head and he was born moments later. I scooped him right up into my arms and it was magical! I was the first one to hold him, kiss him and talk to him. He took his first breaths in my arms instead of on a cold, sterile hospital warmer. I will never forget that moment.

Second would be not having to argue to have things the way I envisioned them. I didn't need to tell my mw that I wanted to deliver the placenta before the cord was cut. I didn't have to explain that I wanted to cut the cord myself, which was an important and symbolic act for me. I didn't have to tell anyone not to count while I was pushing. I didn't have to fight to avoid EFM, an episiotomy, internal checks and the like. I felt safe and trusted the people around me entirely. I know it helped the process go more smoothly because I was relaxed.

Third... it just felt *right*. In the moment it didn't feel monumental or brave or anything else. It just felt normal and right. Our baby was born in the same place he was made... the same place we celebrated finding out we were pregnant and the same place we cuddled in to sleep every night while making room for my ever-expanding belly. I felt connected to all the women in history who safely and peacefully birthed their babies in their own homes. Hospital birth is a new trend. Homebirth is normal, natural and just right for our family. I remember thinking, right after DS was born, that being home isn't brave or reckless or crazy... it's normal. That feeling gave me almost overwhelming peace and satisfaction.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#34 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Great post, Beth! It's always amazed me that when a baby is born, so many things are done to it that you would NEVER do if someone let you hold their newborn!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#35 of 45 Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 PM

Being able to surrender, being surrounded and protected with love, being pampered and having someone else manage the clean up.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#36 of 45 Old 03-17-2010, 08:03 PM

I didn't have the peaceful birth experience so many rave about. Mine was fast, intense and loud (my vocalizing - otherwise it was quiet). In fact, my midwife didn't even make it in time.

What made it amazing and empowering for me was experiencing my instincts taking over completely. Especially when I hit transition. No one was here doubting me, directing me, talking to me. There was no thinking on my part... I just did whatever it was that I FELT I needed to do.

I caught my own baby, dealt with the cord around his neck like it was something I had done a thousand times, and stimulated him -- all without actually thinking about it. I just did it, instinctually.
I'm not really sure how else to describe it other than saying that once I realized I was in "real" labor (only the last 30 minutes of my 3.5 hour labor) and "let go" everything was just so automatic.

How our bodies/minds just know what to do is what I find completely amazing. It's not often we humans experience situations where what we do is run completely by instincts.

I also really loved the fact that after the birth (and my midwife and her students showed up), that the 4 of us sat in bed talking and sharing stories while they took their time examining me and baby. I really felt cared about and human!

Everything else about the experience is a very close second (so much so that it was difficult to choose which part was the most amazing); catching my own baby, DH and DS calmly watching me catch, doing whatever *I* wanted to do (move, eat, etc), being in the comfort of my own home, being with baby the entire time, going to bed in my own bed that night...

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#37 of 45 Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 PM

Being surronded by people that loved me and supported me. I can't begin to describe the feelings that came from all of the love and support. Knowing that I was in control and could do just about whatever I wanted was a great change from my daughter's birth. Like someone else said, it just felt natural. I can't imagine my son being born in a hospital, being at home seemed so right.
#38 of 45 Old 03-19-2010, 08:39 PM

After having a really crappy hospital birth, what wasn't great?

DD was seperated from us, transferred via ambulance to another hospital, and unnecessarily kept in the NICU for 3 days. The best thing about homebirth was that the only time DS was away from me was to snuggle on the couch with DH while the midwives stitched my tear. DD was in the room within a minute of his birth. There was non-hospital food waiting for us, I got to get into my own shower to clean up, the midwives and my mom cleaned the whole house. Never having to leave the house, or DD, who would've been traumatized by a night away from me. Snuggling in bed with the whole family, staying up until midnight the first night trying to name him.

Another thing I really enjoyed was that because I was in the tub, I had a physical barrier between myself and everyone else. No one could touch me or get in my space unless I wanted them to. The one vaginal exam I had was at my request; the only other hands in there feeling for the baby were my own. And that was incredible - feeling his head after each push, to see how much closer he was.

And, like someone else said, the most amazing thing was that it really wasn't amazing at all. It felt totally normal, like the only way to do it.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#39 of 45 Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Birth #1- discovering a new, stronger, part of myself. the transformation from regular lady to super duper birthing goddess--which gave me a renewed sense of confidence in my whole life and the courage I needed to start the journey of motherhood.

Birth #2- the presence of my 2.5 year old son. He rubbed my back and kissed my cheeks. When his little sister crowned he laughed and yelled "baby! baby!" and gave me the strength I needed to finish.
#40 of 45 Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 PM

My daughters being able to watch. My birth was fast and furious...less then 2 hours from first contraction to baby born. The girls were in the basement rollerskating when my daughter crowned. The doula called for them and they all ditched the skates and came upstairs and gathered around the birth pool. The baby's head was out at that point and I remember them saying "Ohhh...look at her ears! She's so cute!" They didn't know the gender of the baby but they kept saying "she". Within a minute or two, their baby sister came into the world. It was so peaceful and magical....and it was truly pricelss that they got to witness it. I want them to know that women are POWERFUL and even though birth can hurt and be hard and painful, that it's nothing to fear! They still talk about her birth.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#41 of 45 Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naupakamama View Post
When I told my midwife (she had just arrived and hadn't checked me at all) she said in a loud voice, "well push woman, push" I was nearly crying in relief and DD2 was out very quickly after that!

It was fast and quick and overpowering. I was lost in the moment which never happened at the hospital. My DD2 didn't cry at birth just made a few noises to say hello and latched on.
We had some very similar experiences with our births. I had been secretly pushing with each contraction before the midwife arrived. I didn't tell anyone because I was afraid it was wrong...but it felt SO GOOD!! When the midwife arrived - about 10 minutes before DD was born - I told her I was pushing. She said "OK". I said "Do you need to check me to make sure it's ok?" and she said "I can if YOU want me to. But I think you should just trust your body." It was all the permission I needed. My labor too was very fast and overpowering. I totally got lost in the moment and surrendered to the whole thing. Amazing. From start to finish. Amazing.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#42 of 45 Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 PM

WOW! I am loving hearing all these snippets of your HB experiences. I have to say one of reasons I'm so excited to be pg again is to have a HB. I've had 4 hospital births (inductions, pitocin, 1 episiotomy, 1 forceps, internal monitoring, external monitoring, 4 epidurals flat-on-back hospital bed deliveries with timed pushing.

I would love nothing more than the chance to do the exact oppositve of all that. I would love to be in my own bed when it's all done and sleep with my baby next to me, not in a plastic box next to my bed. I'd be so happy NOT to have nurses coming in ever 20 minutes and waking me and a baby up to "check us". I'd be delighted to eat my own food whenever I want to. I be thrilled to avoid any and all unnecessary intervention. With the going rate of c-sections in the US and 4 vaginal births so far, I'm sure in the hospital's eyes, I'm over due for my c-section!

My DH and I watched the Ricki Lake movie and less than 1/2 way through it we were hooked on the idea of a HB if we were to get pregnant again. When those statistics are presented to you, how can you NOT be?

We have a brand new master bedroom and master bathroom suite (that my DH singly handedly build from the ground up) and I would LOVE to have the memory of labor and delivery in OUR space.

Thanks sharing everyone - very powerful words!

Tracy
#43 of 45 Old 03-27-2010, 03:38 PM

I loved not having to go anywhere. Walking to the car and sitting in a car would have been hell. I loved eating and drinking as needed, and not being checked for progress unless i wanted to be. I loved watching the birds. I loved my own music, and I loved not worrying about anyone but myself.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#44 of 45 Old 03-27-2010, 03:55 PM

i loved being i complete controll at all times. everything was as blissfull and calm and tranquil as i wanted it to be. i could just let those wonderful sensations take over and really give in to them ... everything was perfect!!!
#45 of 45 Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It was laid back and simply being at home. The experience itself was not 'amazing,' though. It was too short for it to be amazing (if amazing means beautiful/serene, etc.) I only recall having about 10 contractions once active labor kicked in, 5 of which occurred right before his birth. From the time active labor started to birth was 15 minutes and only about 1 minute of really intense back to back contractions (those 5).

I had been hanging out at a stretchy 4-5 cm and 80% effaced for a week. We knew to expect a fast birth, but not that fast. There really was no 'labor.' It was just a birth. Went from 6 cm, 80% effaced w/swollen cervix and -2 station to birth in 1 minute. Those contractions were coming about every 10-15 seconds. Absolutely bizarre and chaotic.

It was a classic case of maternal-fetal ejection reflex. My body just heaved him out.

The experience was amazing in how it played out. It was absolutely crazy. Quite the experience and I was on a high for a couple weeks following his birth. It took some time to process, though. I still am processing it. My midwife had never seen anything like it and her intern was shocked. I can't wait to do it (give birth) again. My only hope is that I make it to the tub in time.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page