Legality of Homebirth with Midwife in TN with Twins - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if it is legal to have a homebirth with a midwife in TN if you are prego with twins?

If it is legal does it have to be a CNM or can it be CPM?

I've searched on google and can't find anything to answer this.

Thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 PM

My doula was recently with a team of midwives that did a twin homebirth in the Nashville area. I think they worked with an OB, just in case I suppose, but I know the twins were born at home, full term! I'll message you the name of the group that did it.

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#3 of 11 Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 PM

The Farm (of Ina May Gaskin fame) is in Tennessee and they do twin births there. All the Farm midwives are direct entry CPMs, not CNMs, so I'd think it is probably legal, or at least I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
#4 of 11 Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freistms View Post
The Farm (of Ina May Gaskin fame) is in Tennessee and they do twin births there. All the Farm midwives are direct entry CPMs, not CNMs, so I'd think it is probably legal, or at least I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
That's what I was going to say. I know they do twin births all the time at the farm. Its legal there and they have a good relationship with their transfer hospital.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#5 of 11 Old 02-03-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! That is what I wanted to hear.

I am planning to be a surrogate for a nice couple from Italy and they want to try for twins. I had a homebirth with my first and definitely want to avoid the hospital if at all possible.

The tricky part will be getting the Intended Parents here for the birth but that is a great problem in comparison to what it could be, I guess.

Thanks a bunch, ladies!
#6 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 01:58 AM

CPMs can do twins, and I know a number of midwives here that have, and in some cases, several sets. It's just another variation of normal. It is not illegal, to my knowledge for any twins to be born at home(it's unenforceable) but finding a knowledgable team to help, can sometimes be daunting. Most midwives will have one midwife and her assistant for each baby, and one for the mom. That's a lot of people, but sometimes that's what you need. Most times it isn't though. And if I were having twins, I would SURE as all get-out have them at home.
#7 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 AM

It may not be illegal to have twins *at home*, but it may be illegal (as in beyond scope of practice) for licensed midwives to attend the birth in some states. (If it is beyond scope of practice, then if anything goes wrong, the midwife could be prosecuted.) Or it may be outside their malpractice insurance coverage. Either way, it is a huge risk for the attendant.

For example, my midwives in Ohio told me they could not legally be my primary attendant if I was outside normal gestation (before 37 weeks or after 42) or if the pregnancy was not singleton, among other things. I never checked to figure out if this was in their licensing laws or a malpractice insurance issue. It didn't matter because it would have had the same effect.

But like I said, I'm pretty sure neither of those things is an issue in Tennessee.
#8 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM

My CPM attends twin homebirths here in East TN, and I talked to a couple of others who did as well, when I was choosing a midwife.
#9 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 03:15 AM

, and I know a great CPM right near Bristol, in Johnson City. She would be who you would probably contact. I am guessing, but most CNMs in the area arent' allowed to do homebirths, let alone twins. PM me, or look on the Tennessee Midwives Association website for her info...http://www.tnmidwives.org
#10 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 PM

Sounds like you're talking about Angie Neis, cathicog. She's my midwife's backup, and the one she calls in to help her with twin births - so we know she does them.
#11 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 03:21 AM

It is really up to the midwife's consulting physician if she is a CPM. CNM regulations are a little more complicated but there are only 4 that I am aware of who are attending home births.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page