homebirth friendly place to live - Mothering Forums

#1 of 22 Old 05-01-2002, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was wondering what places to live are friendly towards direct entry midwives and those of us who choose them.
i want to move away one of these days. i am not willing to raise my family in this prehistoric town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 05-01-2002, 10:03 AM

I think Pennsylvania is good...
#3 of 22 Old 05-01-2002, 12:53 PM

I think Seattle is pretty amazing. Seattle Midwifery School is here, of course, and there are tons of practicing midwives here. Also, with the exception of one area hospital that I've heard about, the backup hospitals are very friendly to midwives (I transferred from a home birth to Group Health hospital here, and they were incredibly supportive about the fact that I didn't want to be there. And, they let my midwife deliver...)

#4 of 22 Old 05-01-2002, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oregon. In fact, a midwife doesn't even have to be licensed to practice here. Eugene, the home of Midwifery Today http://www.midwiferytoday.com/, in particular seems to have more per capita than elsewhere.
#5 of 22 Old 05-01-2002, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

wow i didn't know that the northwest was hoppin with midwives. do y'all find where your at a family friendly place to live?
#6 of 22 Old 05-02-2002, 01:23 PM

Seattle is as family-friendly as a big city can be. I'm kind of partial to smaller towns, really. Olympia, the state capitol about an hour south of Seattle, is a really great medium-sized town, very family-friendly and progressive. (By family-friendly I mean lots of resources, stuff for families to do, good childcare and schools, etc).
#7 of 22 Old 05-02-2002, 01:58 PM

a voice from the other side of the country....

i live in ann arbor, michigan. lots of direct-entry midwives here, and it's unregulated. i've even found pediatricians who will do home visits within 24 hours of your baby's birth -- very supportive. it's a pretty diverse place in that you can find people with lots of different parenting styles, etc. fabulous place for kids -- tons to do as the community really supports the arts, music, parks, etc.
#8 of 22 Old 05-03-2002, 04:04 PM

CircleOLifeMidwife - I live in Seattle and am having an HBAC with a midwife in October, I also interviewed about a half dozen local Midwifery clinics and they can indeed do VBAC's although most are confined to doing them in hospitals as they would lose thier priveleges to work in hospital if they didn't.

I am by NO means an expert on this subject I just know this from my own personal experience - VBAC has definately been on the frontlines in this state but it is still going strong - Thankfully
#9 of 22 Old 05-03-2002, 07:19 PM

Your right that the political climate is not good.
I feel so blessed to have found a handful of women in this area that simply refuse to stop doing HBAC's, they believe in them and in their safety and women like me benefit so greatly from their courage.

I have the utmost respect for Midwives that put a birthing woman first and still whole heartedly believe that a woman, EVEN after having had a ceserean, can deliver naturally in their home without being treated like a high risk statistic.

I raise my glass high to these wonderful Midwives.
#10 of 22 Old 05-04-2002, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

i'm impressed with what y'all have written in. here in louisiana a doctor backup is needed to legally have homebirth. next week i meet a new doctor in town that i hear will do it. that's one doctor for a half million metropolitan area. last preg two years ago i used the charity hospital clinics where they could not refuse me care but i had to lie about my choices to avoid trouble for my midwife. unpleasant esp when i went three weeks past a due date (a guesstimate, another story).

here a cpm cannot legally help me unless i have no unusual conditions. that includes twins and breech. i think hbacs may be permitted but i doubt anyone does them i'll ask my midwife. the climate here for homebirth is absolute ignorance. which i guess may be a blessing compared to , say, illinois where there is awareness but less enlightened people keeping midwives down. i think there are less than ten midwives in the entire state maybe less than five.

i'm really enjoying your input. i'm thinking that if a place is a home for midwives it would be a good home for my family. i was a small child in muskegon, michigan i remember fantastic snow. i have heard much much much about washington and oregon but i haven't ventured that far. i want to live in a place where people live without fear. public transport, neighborhood parks, humane employment, etc etc are nice too.

i am inspired hearing about these midwives.
#11 of 22 Old 05-04-2002, 03:48 AM

We have great midwives here! and lots of terrific back-up docs!

CPMs are recognized, and can accept Medicaid!
HBACs are still fine w/CPMs...
(funny, almost all of our hospitals are so small here that ACOG's new rules mean an automatic scheduled repeat c-sec...if ya want a VBAC, you HAVE to do it at home!) actually, not funny at all.

There are many great little communities sprinkled throughout our beautiful green mountains... Great skiing, Ben and Jerry's, lots of food co-ops and Unitarian "churches" and organic farms, Bread and Puppet, and Jim Jeffords!!!

and when you turn out the light at night, it's dark.
I like that.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#12 of 22 Old 05-12-2002, 10:29 PM

What about Connecticut? Anybody know?
#13 of 22 Old 05-13-2002, 08:03 PM

3rd vote for Oregon We are currently back in Texas(tho', God willing, not for another summer after this one!) but lived for 8 yrs in Portland, and both ours were born there.
There is a good midwifery school there(our midwife taught there) and as was said, lay midwives are allowed(she was one).
Besides, it is beautiful(and it doesn't rain THAT much Kimberly, mom to Forest, 10 and Lily, 2.5
#14 of 22 Old 05-14-2002, 02:33 AM

Southern California for all it's supposed "liberalness" isn't all it's cracked up to be. There are midwives to be found and a few Certified nurse midwives doing home and birth center births but are they accepted , not even. The area is just too technologically minded I suppose.
#15 of 22 Old 05-14-2002, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

really, even sf?
#16 of 22 Old 05-14-2002, 02:58 PM

I live in Connecticut and had a homebirth with my second son, Issac, March 2001. We used a Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) and it was a wonderful experience. In the state of CT there are no laws on the books regarding CPM. So it is not illegal to practice midwifery in CT but it is also not totally accepted. We did not use a Dr. Back up because I did not want to have to do the required things that the Dr. requires in his office. We had an uncomplicated first birth and the second was even smoother. I do not know how smooth it would have been if we were to transfer. My midwife said that she would accompany us but that the hospital would have to assist with the rest of the birth and she would be there as more of a Doula support.

Where are the Midwife school in our country? Do you have to be a nurse before starting?

Shane - living the open life
#17 of 22 Old 05-14-2002, 09:24 PM

Vote #4 for Oregon! I had a homebirth in Feb. with a wonderful CPM who has been practicing in our little city for over 15 years. The local hospital and OB group are on board and supportive as back-up. I find this area very homebirth-friendly. At a La Leche League meeting recently, it seemed that about 1/2 of us had homebirths!

I normally try to discourage others from moving to Oregon, lest our little piece of Paradise be overrun, but if you're a hip homebirthin' mama...heck, come join the fun.

Diane
#18 of 22 Old 05-14-2002, 11:03 PM

Tinyone, thank God I saw your post! I'm so glad to know we're not alone in our feelings about the medical profession out here! We just moved here from Texas and wanted to have our baby in a birthing center, thinking that California was going to be so much more in tuned to natural birthing, home births etc. We have been treated like teenage parents who are expected to have an abortion and don't know what we're doing!!! Mind you we're in our mid to late 20's and have had a son in the hospitol w/out pain meds! So we're currently looking for a midwife in the Rancho Bernardo area to homebirth our precious angel. I'm so glad to know we're not alone in our feelings about the medical profession out here! Oh, and the birthing center was more like a planned parenthood scenario of your nightmares....like only the poor could(n't) afford to go there!
#19 of 22 Old 05-20-2002, 09:45 PM

My third baby was born at home in CT. I had the best midwife imaginable--very relaxed, very experienced,very capable. I am from Oregon and while there are many great things about the openess to alternatives, I would say that lack of regulations makes for quantity but not always quality. I know of people in Eugene acting as midwives who have no business doing so. I'm not suggesting stricter regulations on midwives/homebirth, I'm all for the choice, I'm just suggesting that caution be exercised by parents in choosing who will help deliver their babies.
#20 of 22 Old 05-21-2002, 12:20 AM

Portland Oregon is homebirth mecca from what I've heard.

#21 of 22 Old 06-17-2002, 01:09 AM

San Francisco Bay Area is very homebirth-friendly. I'm actually in the south bay (San Jose), and I can name about 5 homebirth midwives in the area...it's great that we can pick and chose our caregiver and not have to settle for the only one in the area. On the other hand, there aren't any dr's willing to do back up for a woman who choses to do a homebirth. There are a few pediatricians in the area that are homebirth friendly, but I was met w/ hostility over the vax issue. At any rate, I think I live in a great area for homebirthin'!
#22 of 22 Old 06-19-2002, 03:35 PM

I'll quickly point out that New York State is a struggle! I envy how much more progressive the West Coast sounds a lot. The only midwives "legal" to practice in this state are CNMs and they practice under an Ob/Gyn, and they "have" to deliver at hospitals or birth centers. Lay-midwives for homebirths are hard to scrounge up, though I have heard of CNMs quietly doing homebirths on the side...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page