Decorating your birth space? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are any of you decorating your birth space? I'm thinking I'll probably birth in the living room, since that's where I'll have the pool. I want to decorate. I'll have candles and my essential oil diffuser going. I'll also hang these gorgeous handmade hanging things my friend sent me. Any other ideas? What are you doing? I just want to create a peaceful, comfy atmosphere. Anyone want to share pictures?
#2 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM

This isn't really decorating, but I covered up all the clocks in the house (HIGHLY recommended). I also brought my sound machine down from my bedroom and had it going in the living room, where the tub/ birth bed was. I figured I was conditioned to be relaxed when I heard that sound, and it worked.

HTH!

Christina, wife , mother of 2 :, RN ... : :
#3 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM

My tub will be in the dining area, so I plan on decorating my buffet and hutch as my birth shrine. I want a picture of my Hypnobabies special place, candles, photo frames with my u/s pics, pics of my first amazing homebirth and a few affirmations printed and framed. I also plan to have a cd player set up on a table near the tub with some sliced fruit, bottle of gatorade, lip balm, hand towel and other such small things that I might want nearby. The rest isn't so much decorating as it is just setting up supplies and making room for my birth team to relax and watch the show. lol.
#4 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 PM

I've been thinking about painting the windows with some sort of peaceful stained glass look. I'm due any day now though, so I'm not sure if I'll get around to it. It would be gorgeous with the sunlight peeking through though.

Mama to three

#5 of 11 Old 02-27-2010, 02:01 AM

Wanted to add this as another birth space decoration. My mom made me this birth quilt! I love it!

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1267235302

Mama to three

#6 of 11 Old 02-27-2010, 01:50 PM

I had friends/family make birth affirmation signs for me--I also made some for myself-- and I hung them up around the house when I was in early labor. I did this for both of my births and the messages were so encouraging both during labor and post partum!!
#7 of 11 Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
I've been thinking about painting the windows with some sort of peaceful stained glass look. I'm due any day now though, so I'm not sure if I'll get around to it. It would be gorgeous with the sunlight peeking through though.
You could still do it... maybe even make it an early labor project? A lovely idea, I may copy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
Wanted to add this as another birth space decoration. My mom made me this birth quilt! I love it!

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1267235302
That is a gorgeous quilt!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
I had friends/family make birth affirmation signs for me--I also made some for myself-- and I hung them up around the house when I was in early labor. I did this for both of my births and the messages were so encouraging both during labor and post partum!!

Yes! I planned a Blessingway Party for my best friend (if this is new to any of you, here is a brief explanation of what a Blessingway is).

We did the same thing but put our affirmations and blessings on triangular shaped fabric flags (like Tibetan or Buddhist prayer flags). I then connected them to a long string and we hung the flags in her birth room... she then hung it in her nursery.

I love the idea of a birth shrine and setting all the necessary items on a nearby table, so that my birth team can easily find them.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#8 of 11 Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent ideas! Keep them coming.

Nicole, that quilt is gorgeous!! What a blessing that must have been!

I think I may mosaic the huge mirror hanging in the living room with beads, stones, feathers, and clay items that my friend makes. I also went and bought a bunch of plants to bring some kind of living thing into the living room. It really adds a preaceful effect! I bought a bromeliad flower, which reminds me of opening. It's going to be a focal point, I think. Very gorgeous.
#9 of 11 Old 12-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

candle.gifCandles and TWINKLE LIGHTS

om.gifSerene Focal Point Pictures

flower.gifFresh Flowers are pretty Artificial Ones

thumb.gifHooks to Hang towels and blankets, robes on.

thumb.gifGonna Have the TV and Surround Sound set up for my distractions and white noise and iPod

rainbow1284.gifI plan on Hanging Paper Mobiles & Fabric Canopies to Give some dimension and to feel cozy and enclosed. I like that.

CanopyHB.jpg125200752728.gif317458.jpg?268

The way this Tub Is decorated is Nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeqWq5WNZpY

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#10 of 11 Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 AM

This was HUGE for me! Glad you're preparing for it!

I had a picture of a clearing in a forest hanging on our bedroom wall.

That piece became an invaluable part of my labor.

I would focus on it and imagine I was there, and everything felt so peaceful.

I also enjoyed soft music in the background, but not as much as I thought.

And I kept getting hot, so candles were out.

Guided imagery and focal points were key!

RACHAEL - registered nurse. handsome musician's wife.
Stepmom to Lucas (10yrs) & Avery (8yrs). Momma to Ames (1yr), born at home.
Our "4th & Final Boy" turned out to be a set of TWIN GIRLS, born April 2011!
www.letterstoames.com

#11 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 PM

I bought a bunch of candles and glass hurricanes, votives, etc. I had planned to have a waterbirth in the living room, but I wasn't sure if I'd want to be out of the water and in my bed or not, so I also redecorated the bedroom. It felt somewhat unfinished, so I had DH install swing arm sconces over each bedside table, and I chose a framed photo to hang above the bed that I felt would be very soothing. I ended up delivering in the bathtub, but my dear sweet midwife and her apprentice gathered all of the candles my mother had lit in the living room and brought them into the bathroom so I could have low light and a peaceful atmosphere.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page