Homebirth Mama's March 2nd... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 175 Old 03-08-2004, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations
Yay for more home-birthed-babies! SOunds like a beautiful birth, you deserved it Claire!! Cant wait to see a picture of her!!
Enjoy every minute of her newness!

Tanja mama to Raven, Jakob, Ben and our 3 week old bundle of love! + wishing she could talk her dh into just one more baby!
#62 of 175 Old 03-08-2004, 06:35 PM

how beautiful and simple Claire. The naturalness and your comfort of it makes it all the more inspiring.
#63 of 175 Old 03-08-2004, 07:58 PM

Congratulations Claire and welcome to the world baby Cicely. I love your sweet birth story. Enjoy this precious time!

Claudia - that's so cool that you got to feel your baby's head.

I haven't posted much on these threads... I'm almost 37 weeks and I don't feel like I'm having a baby as soon as my mind logically figures I will be. If that makes sense. I keep thinking if I get everything ready it will start to feel like time...but there is always more to do...

I had my blessingway over the weekend and it was really a wonderful event. Everyone should get to have such a beautiful expression of love from their friends and family at the end of pregnancy.

Here's my newborn CD stash:

4 Kissaluv's size 0
5 kushies classics size infant
1 ME OS
20 UBCPFs infant
1 Little Cush pocket diaper size newborn
2 Little Cush pocket diapers size small
7 wonderoos pocket diapers One size
2 Luke's Drawer's OS AIW

1 small fleece stacinator
1 small WAHM fleece wrap
2 small proraps
1 infant kushies wrap
1 ME air flow cover
1 small Bummis SWW

A couple of fleece topped doublers
A bunch of fleece liners I made
5 snappis
30 wipes

I'll be using the fleece liners for the meconium days and if I end up tossing some it's no big deal.

I'm loving that there is a homebirthing group of moms all talking here in these threads!
#64 of 175 Old 03-08-2004, 09:55 PM

Yay! It's great to have a group of homebirth mamas cheering! Thanks guys! It really was a wonderful birth!

Here are some pictures of our new little one. I'll write an official wordy birth story soon. My DH put his version on our blog.
http://homepage.mac.com/jakces/

Tracy -- I agree, Blessingways are great! I think they're so empowering.

Katje -- Oh, yeah for hypnosis. I mean, the labor was intense, but it was really nice. I feel like I could probably do it again tomorrow if need be. Remember, to practice those tapes daily. Regular listening seems to spell the difference between pain and not. My doula visited me today and she said, "You never once asked for the pain to stop. Why was that?" I just had to say, "It wasn't that bad." Wishing you a similiar experience in that regard.

To the mamas due soon: Labor vibes

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#65 of 175 Old 03-08-2004, 11:04 PM

Welcome Cicely!!!

Congratulations Claire, Jason, and Jude!!!! Enjoy!
#66 of 175 Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 AM

hAPPY BABYMOON !!! How wonderful was that story, oh I LOVED reading it, Claire thank you.

I had a home appointment with mw today, my kids were so excited to ask her questions but when it came time all they could come up with was "Is it going to be scary?"--------- I am wondering if I mentioned that it would be a bit bloody one too many times?! OOPS! So she invited us to come to her house to watch some videos of other women birthing.
Does anyone else NOT have the nesting urge? I am due pretty soon but feel no desires to stay at home and "prepare". Weird. I did clean my house since mw was coming and I did get a list of supplies she recommends for the actual birth, I will go to the store and buy them soon, i guess that counts in a way......
#67 of 175 Old 03-09-2004, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CONGRATS CLAIRE!!!!!!

i am very happy because today i found out my new insurance will cover my homebirth!!! (see seperate thread) very cool...

man, everyone has these impressive diaper stashes..i thought i was going expensive when i bought 14 mother ease diapers (used on MDC TP)...all my cover are gerber or thrift store finds..i was planning on getting just plain old prefolds. i used a service with the two boys so i have the covers but not the diapers...i just could never afford all those expensive diapers..anyone else just doing prefolds??

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#68 of 175 Old 03-09-2004, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
HAPPY BABYMOON CLAIRE!! Lots of love and blessings on you and your sweet babies! Love the pics and story from your DH, it all makes me tear up!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#69 of 175 Old 03-09-2004, 04:50 AM

WELCOME TO THE WORLD CICELY MARGARET!!!

she looks just perfect, claire! and so do you!!!

warmly,
claudia
#70 of 175 Old 03-09-2004, 03:34 PM

Congratulations Claire! Welcome to the world Cicely Margaret!

I'm just joining this thread, due with my first in September, very excited to homebirth. It is wonderful hearing all of your experiences and plans. I am taking note of your cd stashes, I am still trying to figure out the wide world of cds.

Labor vibes to those of you ready to go!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#71 of 175 Old 03-09-2004, 08:57 PM

Welcome adventuregirl!!!
#72 of 175 Old 03-09-2004, 09:19 PM

Hello all! I am starting to feel *weird* about reading all your posts with no one knowing!! (guess I'm not a very good lurker....) I sooooooooooooooooooooo want a homebirth with this baby. I don't know what we are going to do, though. We are super poor and on medicaid (so the hospital birth is free...and it's a great hospital, by the way with CNM to deliver...) but I feel like I NEED a homebirth...I just haven't figured out quite how to make that happen yet. But I will. Anyway, nice to meet you all and I enjoy reading your posts!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#73 of 175 Old 03-09-2004, 10:12 PM

welcome youngnhappymama and adventuregirl!

I am still pregnant, although I shouldn't use the word "still" as I'm not due until next Monday. I'm just inspired by Claire's experience and getting excited. (we did have the same edd). I originally figured my date to be closer to the 20th anyway. Time will tell, I know she'll come when she's ready.

Over the weekend, I started feeling extreme pressure on my cervix and on my bladder, so I assume she is moving down. I've also had a few rounds of contrax--all getting ready. And, I think I may have started losing my plug yesterday. My mw was here today, and thinks the baby is at a +4 station. I'm having difficulty sleeping with my pubic bone pain--I'm sure not going to miss that feeling. So, I'm pretty tired most days. But we've been taking it easy and I'm trying to be patient.

Well, that's pretty much my focus these days! I can't wait to share some good news with all you mamas!

Oh, and Liz--my diaper stash is pretty basic. I'm planning to mainly use prefolds. I just got a few other things to try out (mostly used stuff). I love looking at all the fancy diapers, but I'm pretty plain jane I guess. Just about everything I have for ds is white/natural and was purchased used. I've never cd'd a newborn, and I need to practice with the prefolds on a doll or something!

Amyrobynne. . .where are you??

namaste.gif

#74 of 175 Old 03-10-2004, 10:23 AM

Aaah the ambiguity of birth. We did our u/s and the baby is 100% ok - my placenta is lying on top which limits how much movement I feel. I am glad that I did it though because I have been such a basket case. I wish I could trust myself 100% but I think that just having 1 problem birth reaks havoc on your brain and heart. I think if I had never had to have some of these complications I wouldn't know how far to let me brain go. Regardless but edd is so out of whack now. I went from 7/23 due to conception, 7/31 due to LMP, and U/S saying 8/4. But I am still nursing an 8 mo, and just had 2 babies back to back so who knows how my body is going to react... My mom went later with each of us!

The other night I had a beautiful dream that a friend of mine, vbac, was so comfortable and happy in labour that she ended up having a baby boy with no help at all at home. Claire's birth story must have had a huge impact. Now I want a dream like that for myself!
#75 of 175 Old 03-10-2004, 01:31 PM

Hello everyone!
I have been lurking, but I'd love to join this discussion....we are expecting our first at the end of March and we are planning a home waterbirth with a direct entry midwife. I am getting sooooo excited/nervous/impatient...

It's been great reading everyone's different experiences here...DH and I just moved in Nov...away from all of my friends (who support my crunchy-ness) So, sometimes I feel a bit alone! DH and I are very close and work together at home right now...so that helps.

Anyway...I thought I would share my diaper stash because that has been my main obsession for about 6 months now.

Diapers:
13 Kissaluvs 0's
18 UBCPF Infant
12 UBCPF Preemie
Righteous Baby FLAG - Size 1
Fuzzi Bunz - Small
Ella's Diapers - Small
Happy Heiny's - Small
Little Lambs Hemp Fitted
3 Little Lambs AIO (2 newborn, 1 small)
Motherease One Size
First Class Baby Fitted- NB

Covers:
6 NB Prowraps
6 Small Prowraps
1 Bummis Small
1 Bummis NB
Motherease AirFlow - Small
Baa Baa Bottoms Wool Soaker - Medium
LANA Wool Soaker - Small
Aristocrats Soaker - Small

Misc:
2 Hemperoos inserts
Microfleece insert
Happy Heiny's stuffin insert
10 Kissaluvs doublers
2 Kissaluvs Super Soaker inserts

40 cloth wipes
5 snappis
Stainless Steel Diaper Pail
Happy Tushies Wonder Bag
Happy Tushies Pail Liner
Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion
Darling Diapers Velour Changing Pad

Ok, I think that's it! I've had so much fun accumulating my "fluff"...what a joy it will be to finally be able to put them on a BABY!

Regarding meconium...in all of my research about it, it seems that about 90% of moms don't have any problems with staining. In fact, they say that it comes out much easier than BF poop. So, even though I was concerned about staining my beautiful new dipes, putting cloth on my brand new baby is more important. I don't think we'll have problems.

Anyway...I'm excited to join you all!

Blessings,
Sara

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#76 of 175 Old 03-10-2004, 04:20 PM

I am so amazed by everyone's cding stash - I have 6 bummis SWW for each kid, 24 prefolds for DD, 18 fitted and 12 prefolds for DS. 5 extra liners.

I agree doing the wash was no big deal and DH is a great help with the whole diapering thing. He really got into it. I keep wondering, now that I feel better, if maybe we should just go back to them!
#77 of 175 Old 03-10-2004, 05:11 PM

oh, claire! i loved your husband's description of the birth... he sounds like a sweetie. and the little movie of jude and cicely... "MY baby!" i guess she's never gonna have to worry about getting picked on with her big brother around!

man, i am SO not with it on the cloth diapers. those lists make my head spin. is there a place where these different styles are compared? a web site that people can put up diaper reviews on? i guess i had some vague notion of actually making my own covers this time... we'll see what really happens.

your turn soon, mamaroni!

katje
#78 of 175 Old 03-10-2004, 05:14 PM

I've heard that www.diaperpin.com is a good resource. In fact, they state that "Diaper Pin is your ultimate resource for information about natural cloth products for mama and baby" on their own website.

My head spins, too. I've been learning more over a few months, which makes it easier, but still. Everyone just comes down to saying that what works well for one baby might not for another, so you just have to get sampler packs and see what works for your kid's bum!

I still wish there were only one answer, but that's what "they" all say.
#79 of 175 Old 03-10-2004, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

AmyRobynne was "overdue" on Monday, I think technichally 42w2d over and her midwifes would no longer be able to support her at home. I am not sure if she has given birth (I would assume so!) I know that they had her on cohosh, and hopefully that babe was born at home, but if we don't here from her here, I will try to find out via the grapevine! Think great babymoon thoughts for her!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#80 of 175 Old 03-10-2004, 05:52 PM

Check out The Diaper Hyena http://www.thediaperhyena.com as well. It's maintained by MDC's Heather Sanders...and it's a great site on cloth diapering!!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#81 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 12:05 PM

Hi, Mamas! Thanks so much for all the congrats. We're really enjoying our little one. I can't believe how different two babies can be. Jude slept only about 20 minutes at a time and only while being held slightly upright. Cicely sleeps wherever, whenever for hours! And, she still makes time to nurse well and poop/pee proper amounts!

Her 4 diaper covers and antique prefolds are working beautifully (they're smaller than the fluffy new ones and old). Although, we can't get the meconium out. So, I must be part of that 10% who is stain removing deficient!

Now, here's my official birth story if you' have time and will to read it. For a short birth, I didn't have any trouble finding lots of words to describe it! (Hypnosis helped so much. Pregnant mamas, practice, practice, practice!)

You can read the story on our site with some pictures at http://homepage.mac.com/jakces/iblog...841/index.html or I pasted the birth story below.

Around midnight on Monday, March 8th, 2004, Jason brought Jude to bed. I nursed him for a while and then realized I was having contractions so strong that I couldn’t handle the extra stimulation. I asked Jason to give Jude to my mother in the next room. “I need you,” I told him.
From there, Jason laid down behind me and held me as we rocked through the waters of labor together. I sang the song that Lisa taught me through each contraction.
“I am opening in sweet surrender
To the luminous love light of the Lord”
We laid there in bed singing sweetly to each other for quite a while, but then I had to pee. Timing our journey to the bathroom was a bit challenging, because my contractions were close together and lasting quite a while. I didn’t want to time them, but Jason said later that they were about two-and-a-half minutes apart lasting for about ninety seconds.
Then, we stayed in the bathroom for a while. Jason brought our birth ball up and I sat on that while holding onto Jason. We sang together. I would start our song off slowly and then as my contraction would build, the volume and intensity of the song would build, too. I was alone with Jason. I did my best to not think about my mother and Jude being in the house. I just needed to focus my attention on being present and open.
At one point, my mother came upstairs and said that she was going to bring Jude back up. It was everything I could do to stay focused on birth and not think about my mother being there. I turned my head away from her silhouette in the open doorway. “No,” I said into Jason’s ear, “No, no, no.” Jason looked at my mom and told her to keep Jude downstairs. “We need to be alone,” he told her.
Time past, but I didn’t really have any idea if it was hours or minutes passing us by as we were singing and rocking together. “This is the fun part,” Jason whispered in between contractions. “It sure is!” I chimed back. Then, another contraction came.
A couple times Jason asked me if I wanted to call Pat our midwife and Tressa our doula. Each time, I said no. Jason didn’t pressure me, he respected my need to just be with him.
At one point, I wanted to lay down again. We made it a few feet to the guest bedroom that was prepared for birth from the night of false labor. I had another contraction to sing through before we made it the short distance. I lay down and on the next contraction I began grunting as I sang. I rolled onto my back and pushed. I was tuned into my body. Everything felt right.
Jason said he needed to go call Pat and Tressa once he saw me pushing. I tried to ignore the feeling that I was now “on the clock” so to speak until other people came. I whispered to Jason in between contractions, “But, what if the labor stops again?” He told me to just listen to the song and be open, “This is not a time for doubt,” he said.
Tressa lived in town and so she arrived first. I heard the doorbell ring and tried to just mentally stay inside the bathroom where we had moved back to. I sang as we had been doing and tried to not be self-conscious. She came up to the doorway and I turned away from her. “By ourselves, Jason. By ourselves,” I whispered into Jason’s ear.
Tressa was very respectful of our space. She took care of birth preparations and didn’t even talk when she had questions for Jason. She wrote things on notes and passed them to him. I could deal with that much more than hearing them talk. I needed to pretend that it was still just Jason and me.
We kept singing our song. I was having trouble remember the words and I kept changing them. I was glad Jason could keep with me. He said in between contractions, “Gosh, I can tell you’re a Sparklin. You keep changing the words… and the tune… and the pauses.” We laughed together and were quickly swept away by another contraction.
Around 3am, Pat arrived. It had been three hours since I began labor. I was’t quite sure what I wanted to do. I felt like I wanted to get into the bathtub, but I wasn’t too sure I could since my water had broken on Saturday night. I asked Pat if I risked infection at this point. She said it would be fine.
In the water I pushed some more. This is when I stopped singing, but I prodded Jason to keep our song going. I focused on his words and tuned out the people that were there. It was just me and Jason bringing our baby into the world.
I wasn’t in the water very long, but I felt that it wasn’t what I wanted. I got out and we went back into the guest bedroom that was set up for birth. I pushed on my back for a couple of pushes, but it just didn’t seem like the baby was moving down to me. Pat asked me if I wanted her to check me for the first time. I agreed. There was an anterior lip in the way. She moved it, which didn’t feel great, but it was such a relief when it was gone. “Thank you so much, that’s better,” I told her.
Then, I continued pushing. I tried a supported squat once to see if it would help the baby slide under my pubic bone, but that didn’t seem to work either. I got back on the bed and we got down to business. I was getting tired. I said, “Oh, I want to rest so badly, but it will be a better rest when she’s on my chest.”
Tressa held one of my legs, Jason held the other and Pat sat between my legs. I was focused on the task at hand and enjoyed their company. I pushed and what relief to feel my hip bones spread easily and my baby slip under my pubic bone finally.
Then, I felt her fill up my birth canal. Then, my front-waters exploded all over Pat and the bed. (Turns out I only broke my smaller hind-waters) Pat asked for a towel and we pressed on.
I put my hand on my vagina to see if I could feel her. She was just beginning to show. As I felt her, the top of her head seemed to be in two parts. There was a ridge that seemed to separate the halves. It felt like one of those cheap plastic molded items where the plastic has oozed out of the mold and frozen. (After she was born we marveled at the huge ridge that had formed on her head from trying to squeeze under my pubic bone. It went away after some cranial-sacral work.) I pushed on.
I kept my hand touching her head and I grunted and moaned her head into my hand. The whole thing just felt so surreal… here I was pushing my child’s head into my hand. I started laughing deep belly laughs at the idea. Just laughing oozed her out even further, which made me laugh even harder.
Finally, I felt like I’d stretched really far, I said, “Support, support,” and Pat took her hands and supported my perineum. From there, Cicely’s head just oozed out into my hand. “Hi, baby!” I said. On the next push, her shoulders popped out and she was on my chest before I knew it.
She was so warm and wet and soft. She let out some lusty cries and I smiled so big. I was just so happy to meet her. I was overwhelmed with gratitude and joy. She made it. She took the leap of faith and I leapt, too.
She’s our Cicely Margaret.
Daddy’s little girl.
“My baby” as big brother Jude calls her.
My daughter.
My love.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#82 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 12:16 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your story Claire...that was soooo beautiful. Wow.

Sara

#83 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 12:30 PM

Claire,

Your beautiful story brought a tear to my eye. I am re-inspired to birth my little one in to the world.

Thank you
#84 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 12:45 PM

yes, i cant help it, im crying! thanks claire for sharing your story!

hi mamas! after i recovered from the sinus cold i had i came down with a stomach flu, and believe me you do not want it. it was hell for me, i was up all night and weak and dehydrated. however, i woke up this morning completely recovered, thank God! So, i am about to update the site today. thanks for being so patient with me... i am moving so slow!

Welcome, new mamas! If you havent already,please feel free to email (karl@omelay.com) me pictures or links to your personal websites. i am going to sift thru the rollcall thread and add everyone ive missed, and move mama Claire over to the new mamas side! wow its so amazing... soon we all will have babies on the outside... to tanjarine & SBF mommy & spark! we'll be there with you soon!

ok, more later, time to get to work!

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#85 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 12:51 PM

Well, I just realized that I need to join this board even though I already know a few of you. I'm Kendall and I'm due with twin girls April 17. I'm 35 weeks tomorrow so I'm really happy. I have a 2 1/2 year old dd who was 10 pounds and born at home. I will be having these babies at home as well. I just ordered my birth kit and I feel like I'm behind on everything. With my first homebirth I had everything ready 6 weeks before my due date and I was 5 days overdue. This time I have a little more chance of going early because of the twins. I'm already measuring 43 weeks. Check these pics out! belly shots

I'm also in the process of ordering newborn diapers. I didn't cloth diaper until dd was 5 months so this time will be different CD 2 babies from birth. I'm worried about getting the meconium out though. I guess the reason I've put everything off until the last minute is that I'm trying to do everything I can to make these babes go full term. I'm not even having my blessingway for 2 more weeks so they have to stay in until then.

Hey Spark-We were actually planning my blessingway last night and we have the cd with that song on it that you were singing during your labor. It's a little different-it goes-"I am opening up in sweet surrender to this beautiful baby in my womb." I really love it. We are going to play it and sing it at my blessingway and I"m going to use it during labor.

Well, that's my story-good to be here!
#86 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 01:34 PM

Oh Claire,
I am tearfully speechless! That has got to be the most beautiful, romantic birth story I have ever read. I am touched beyond words.
Thank you so much for sharing.
#87 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Claire, How wonderful. I am more excited then ever now!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#88 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You guys and all your CD talk...I wasn't even going to CD, but hearing about your stashes made me reconsider!

Dh is not that into it though, so I'll have to do it in secret. Heh heh heh...I'll see his car pull up and then I'll be running to switch the diapers.
#89 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 07:13 PM

Claire, how beautiful!!!

Kendall, that is one big beautiful belly you have there! way to go!

Tabitha, oh my, that is so not fair to have all that sickness. So glad you are well now. I'm still planning to take and them email you a belly shot one of these days.

I was 11 weeks Tuesday, moving right along. Have an appointment with my midwife tomorrow and am really looking forward to it.

Amyrobyne, you must be holding your baby by now. I've been looking for your birth story.

Greaseball, :LOL My dh wasn't that into it at first either but now he is glad we do it. He might come around.

Well that's all for now,
Chrissy

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#90 of 175 Old 03-11-2004, 07:46 PM

ya know what this place needs? a crying smiley that's SMILING!

i've heard many different renditions of that song. and it sounds like claire made up some more. whatever works for the mama! the one that stays in my head is "to the luminous love light of this babe."

there's a pretty counterpoint to it, too... "i am oooopening, i am oooopening..."

oh, i'm going to have to dig up my libana cds and play them for this baby soon!

i keep looking around my house, wondering where this baby is going to choose to be born... living room? bedroom? bathroom? stairwell? backyard? could be anywhere!

i'm reading "baby catcher," by peggy vincent. anyone else find themselves thinking, why didn't she just let the baby get born before transporting? there have been two or three stories where she's driving the mom in, practically holding in the baby on the perineum because she'd get in trouble birthing a breech or mec stained baby at home. don't you think it would be more stressful for the baby to stay stuck in one position in labor? not to mention the stress to the mom, being driven like mad with a crowning baby. sheesh. but the rest of the book has been good so far. i just feel sorry for medwives that have to bow to the insane policies of their higherups.

katje

edited to add: THANK YOU for those diapering links... they're just what i needed!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page