Homebirth Mama's March 2nd... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

#121 of 175 Old 03-15-2004, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
:LOL Don't worry SEM, it'll happen!! My mom used to run out of cd's and put us in dishtowels while she threw in a load of laundry... That was one of the 'just in case' reasons she gave me to have disposables around (having disposables around had the same effect for me as formula has on some moms who have that around for 'just in case')

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 175 Old 03-15-2004, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Samurai. . .that's so funny about the cd dreams. Same thing happened to me. . .I was dreaming about diapers almost every night, and never about birthing! (and speaking of cd'ing, I remember someone asking a while back for some cd links. . .I know there is an MDC user--boobiemama--who's sig line has a link to her web page which has almost every WAHM listed. there is another MDC user-engineer_mama, who has a great page. her's is http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kfegelman/index.htm. Another good resource is http://www.borntolove.com/)

Today is my official u/s due date. I was up most of last night having contrax and sitting on the toilet (sorry if TMI!). This baby is riding waaayyyyy low. I never felt this kind of pressure with my other 2 kids until they were actually being born.

Things are very quiet right now, and I have a sitter for a few hours so I'm off for some "me" time. Keep me in your thoughts, mamas!

namaste.gif

#123 of 175 Old 03-15-2004, 06:52 PM

sending you peaceful birthing vibes, mamaroni........

warmly,
claudia
#124 of 175 Old 03-15-2004, 07:16 PM

Love to you Mamaroni-- Best birthing wishes!!!!
#125 of 175 Old 03-16-2004, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey mamaroni i didnt see your post! wishing you the best birth!

i have new belly pictures up at my blog (link 'more about me" in my signature)

Well... now my midwife starts coming every 2 weeks which is wonderful because it is always fun to see her. I have been sewing like mad to do an event for the homebirth collective (a table with sling teaching and slings for sale) and i think it has been a good motivator for me. gopefully it is also an opportunity to make some for the mw.

All night i have braxton hicks.. the tightening is so strong (but painless) and i feel myself get out of breath as my uterus draws more oxygen from my body. It is hard to sleep through. but i have a good feeling that this is all normal, what this baby wants my body to do.

i made a few baby hats from some hemp today. they were so small. i cant imagine having a newborn again.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#126 of 175 Old 03-17-2004, 12:04 AM

Thanks mamas. Still waiting. . .

Tabitha, awesome pics! I just checked the site again, too, and it's great to see all the other new pictures up. Love those bellies! I'm going to have dh take one tonight. . .just another last minute photo.

Tabitha, I also had those BH at night that would kind of take my breath away. I've gotten used to it--now I just want them to get stronger!!

namaste.gif

#127 of 175 Old 03-17-2004, 04:56 PM

oh, mamaroni! soon it will be your turn... we are all sending you peaceful and gentle birthing vibes...

the first cd link you listed i think accidentally has a "." at the end... if you take that off, the link works. i don't know if there's anyone other than me that's getting all freaked about cd'ing again, though, so you might not need to edit it.

k
#128 of 175 Old 03-17-2004, 05:17 PM

Thanks Katje. . .

I just wanted to pop back in and ask for some advice. I also need to search the "I'm Preg" and "Birth and Beyond" forums.

but. . .

I had an appointment with my mw this morning. I had a trace of glucose in my urine, probably not a big deal. At the last minute, I decided to have her check me, and I found out that I have a yeast infection! yuck. I had no idea. . .no symptoms. I sure don't want the baby to get it during birth. I've been taking a garlic supplement AND acidophilus for months now. I guess I need to insert some garlic vaginally, and the mw suggested douching with acidophilus. I've never douched before. any thoughts?

Oh, and I'm 70% effaced, but only dilated to 1. I'm trying not to think about that part! the baby is very low, but not fully engaged.

My mw also reminded me that my original due date was march 20. It was the ultrasound that moved it up to the 15th. So, I guess maybe an Aries for me?

TIA if anyone has any advice regarding the nasty yeast.

namaste.gif

#129 of 175 Old 03-17-2004, 05:45 PM

Hi homebirth mamas!!
We are finally moved into our house (Hooray!!!) Still a few boxes but otherwise settled.

It has taken me a while to catch up. I emailed Tabitha some u/s
pics for the homebirthing mamas website. They are from 11 weeks (when I thought I was only 6 weeks) I was so surprised to be that far along. One is 4D and the other 2D. I will be 16 weeks on Friday. I am starting to get a belly, I need to get some maternity capris/shorts I have never been pg over the summer before but a great excuse to buy new maternity clothes!!

mamaroni- Peaceful last weeks of pregnancy wishes to you and speedy labor vibes!!! I have had great success using colloidal silver for yeast infections. I would soak up a light days type tampon in colloidal silver and leave in for 1-2 hours. I would also take a dropperful internally, sprayed on the inner labia also helps with itching.

Happy gestating (and Happy babymoons to all the new moms!)
Sarah
#130 of 175 Old 03-17-2004, 05:58 PM

Colleen,
Sorry about yeasties!!! In addition to anything else you do, watch your sugar and carb intake....I often have sugar in my urine, in fact I had some today when I checked it myself. So, I am cutting down again and eliminating a little bit more sugars. I definitely recommend the garlic, and if you feel like it, you can alternate with unsweetened, unflavored yogurt inserted vaginally as well. Not quite a douche, but you can get one of those little oral syringes at the pharmacy, fill it, and insert it. Wear a pad though, it can be a little messy.

And about the effacement/dilation......doesn't mean a thing at this point. I usually check myself if I am curious, and the day my last baby was born, I had no dilation what-so-ever at midnight, and he was born by 9:30am.

Hang in there....we'll be reading your birth story soon I am sure!
#131 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 01:37 PM

Hello Ladies! Hoping all of you ready to get labor going are happily laboring as I type this!

I have been hearing more from people as they ask and figure out my decision to homebirth. A few people have said "oh, homebirth sounds so great, but my first wasn't breathing (or, insert complication here) so I was so glad I was at the hospital", I am not always sure how to respond to that. Its like people think midwives don't know how to handle these things. And I guess since most are already moms and this is my first, they might not put any stock in what I say anyway. What are your responses in such situations?

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#132 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 02:18 PM

Regarding comments like, "Oh, homebirth sounds great, but my first wasn't breathing (insert complication here) so I'm glad I was at the hospital."

It really depends on how well I know the person commenting. If it's just a person at the supermarket, for example, I would probably just smile and nod and thank them and go on my merry way. If it's an acquaintance (like my partner's coworker or a neighbor), I would probably act curious and ask what the hospital did to correct the problem. Then I might say something like "wow, that must have been scary, being in an unfamiliar environment and not knowing what was going to happen and what was going on with your baby..." and leave it open to them to respond if they wanted to. They might be interested in starting a dialogue, but then again, they might just need to be validated for their experiences.

Now, if it were a friend that made that comment, I would probably say the same things as to an acquaintance but I would up the ante a bit for theirs and my personal responsibility and ask them a question like what do you think being in a hospital can offer us that having a homebirth with our very experienced and well-trained midwives doesn't? I'm a pretty blunt person, though, and my friends know this so it wouldn't surprise them. And I expect them to have an intelligent answer, not just some emotional response. I also work in the birthing field as a doula, and my friends all know this so they would probably ask me about my research into homebirth and such.

Hope that gives you some ideas about what you might say!

warmly,
claudia

p.s. Received a slew of newborn diapers in the mail yesterday and ohmigod they are sooooooooooo tiny!!!!!!!!! And very cute, of course. Just need to buy a dozen more CPFs and we are set on the diaper front.
#133 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 02:21 PM

I'm SO excited! My mom and dad are here for a visit. Yesterday mom took me out and bought me a bunch of maternity clothes. TEE HEE! I went to Old Navy and the pants are actually long enough for this 5'9" woman!

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have had lots of trouble getting my posts to actually POST...so here is my late congrats to all the new babies!!

Abby
#134 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 02:25 PM

Adventuregirl-it's so good to see you here-I remember you from the April board.

I always got lots of comments like that the first time around. Often this time if I hear things like complications, etc. I don't mind filling people in on the fact that doctors cause many of those complications and that being at home is much safer in most cases than being in a hospital. Usually they just say oh or look kind of dumbfounded! Plant the seed!

I got my 4 dozen small CPFs in the mail yesterday and have been washing them like crazy since. I'm waiting on my small covers which should be here next week. MY blessingway is in a week and I'm getting some diapers then. I'm in diaper heaven right now. Also ordered some little disposable pads to put inside the CD to help with the meconium. Since I'm having twins I expect there will be plenty of meconium.

Everyone take care. I'm 36 weeks tomorrow!
#135 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 02:31 PM

Thanks Kendall, its great to see you too! I can't believe you are so close! That is so awesome!

Good ideas, keep them coming!

-Sheryl

#136 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 02:57 PM

adventuregirl, I second what the others have said. Depending on the situation, I may nod and smile, or offer a bit of info. Dh was telling me this morning that all the women at his office keep asking him "when are they going to induce her? they won't let her go past 41 weeks, you know" and he said he started to get into the conversation with them about all our plans, and then was sorry he started. there have been a number of times that I've been sorry I engaged in teh conversation, so that's why the frequent "smile and nod" response. I've also felt guilty about that, too, though, because I feel I should be a bigger advocate for homebirthing. I say plant the seed if you can!

For all the cd'ers, my newborn stash will probably be for sale in a few months (assuming of course, that this baby IS eventually born :LOL).

OK, time for the kids and me to nap!

namaste.gif

#137 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 04:31 PM

i have learned it is best for my sanity to never hesitate to educate people. if, after beginning my rebuttal, it becomes obvious that they have no desire to be informed... i leave it be and dont associate with them. i dont like people that actually dont want to improve themselves thru knowledge.

where i live, hb isnt uncommon, tho, so i dont get a lot of static about it. other things... that is a different story.

i wanted to pop in and say i added 3 more mama's pictures to the site today! everyone go check out chumani's (sarah's) ultrasound pictures... love2all's (maria's) belly shot! and Turbo(Claudia's) picture!

the stomach flu is still making its rounds in our house.. karl got it and is just getting over it and had to leave town today! grrr. i hate that. i want to be well, the weather here is so wonderful and inviting.

love, tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#138 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 06:04 PM

Oh mamaroni, my DH mistakenly got into a conversation with people at work about our choices. He ended up SO upset, he couldn't even talk to them for a week.

I would *like* to talk about how the hospital personnel and practices may very well have caused various complications, but since I'm usually talking to people who have told me about their births, I feel as though I am insulting their decisions, caregivers, and births. People don't take kindly to that, so I'm at a loss as to what to say.

I like the "how awful to be in an unfamiliar situation" bit though...clever.
#139 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If someone said to me that her baby didn't breathe after birth, I'd probably say that my mw carries resuscitation equipment.

Also that it's normal for some babies not to breathe right away, and it's OK as long as the cord is still attached.
#140 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 07:07 PM

When folks express their concerns to me about my birthing choice, I explain why homebirth is the choice that works best for me. I explain that I trust in my midwife and her ability to handle emergency situations. I also like to express my gratitude that here (in British Columbia) we as woman have the freedom of choice to birth where we feel most comfortable.

Hope that helps
#141 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 07:31 PM

hi mama's! i haven't posted here before, but i've been lurking for the past 3 or so months i'm due in late june/early july.

about 1/2 way through this pregnancy my dh and i decided to switch from a hospital birth to a home birth. my ds, who is 21 months, was born in the hospital by induction. it was a very medical birth and i really wanted a natural birth. he was induced when he was 10 days late. i'm really excited to not have to worry about "being on-time". i think that having those worries of medical interventions was one of the reasons that ds was late. i never really felt "ready" to have him.

i'm very excited to be having the baby at home. it will be so nice to be in a comfortable environment. i'm also excited that my ds won't have to go some where else to meet his new brother.

overall my pregnancy is going well. i've been suffering from heartburn for the past 3 months, but baking soda and water cures it every time. last night i had to get up 3 times to get rid of heart burn.

i'm excited to be a part of a group of women that are so inspirational. it's so nice to have a place to come where others understand me and my choices.

two nights ago we went to a co-worker of my husbands house for dinner. my 21 month old was being a toddler, and doing his thing. the wife asked me "have you ever heard of babywise? i've heard it's a great way to raise kids." and she was all concerned about the weight she gained during her pregnancy, and how come it hasn't come off yet - she has a 2 month old. i was sooo happy to come home and come to mdc. i feel so refreshed that there are so many great mama's out there that see the beauty in letting children be who they are, and also accepting themselves and their bodies and being amazed at what their bodies can do.

so happy to be here!
#142 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 07:48 PM

"baking soda and water"? How much of each? Do you drink it? Slow or fast? Tell me more!
#143 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 07:56 PM

it sounds so gross, and doesn't taste super pleasant but it sure works! i do about 3/4 of a cup of water and about 3/4 a tablespoon of baking soda. stir until dissolved. i drink it really fast because of the taste. beware....it makes you burp i've had a couple of friends that have tried it, and they say it works.

on some of the boxes of arm and hammer, it will say what the exact measurements are for using it as an "antacid".

let me know if it helps. hope so!
#144 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 08:00 PM

yay peaceful mama! welcome

i use the baking soda, just like that, if it gets bad. mw recommended it.

sometimes pregnancy heartburn is due to Too Little acid, though, and a sip of vinegar or lemon juice can actually help.

i also regulary eat Papaya enzyme tabs.

And my newest favorite: Nux Vomica 30C all day!

tabitha

#145 of 175 Old 03-18-2004, 09:18 PM

Ah, that is very good to know about the baking soda, thank you.

I tried Nux Vomica when I first started getting heartburn, but it never seemed to work for me. Disappointing to say the least. I might try it again.

I too take papaya enzymes, since the ghastly reflux started.
#146 of 175 Old 03-19-2004, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

My collostrum came in yesterday! I was so used to the way milk looks, I forgot how yellow this stuff is.

My husband might ( about 99%) have to have spinal surgery. He has two herniated disks, one is absessed and sqeezing off his sciatic nerve. We go to the surgeon today. This is after 5 weeks of physical therapy that didn't help. Keep us in your thoughts please. Thanks.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#147 of 175 Old 03-19-2004, 12:28 PM

Sarah, wow, colostrum!?! How exciting!

I hope your visit with the surgeon goes well, your dh must be in a lot of pain. Healing and peace to you both!

-Sheryl

#148 of 175 Old 03-20-2004, 05:27 PM

DoulaSarah -- sending healing vibes to your DH. Make sure you take care of yourself while he's laid up. Take care of yourself so you can take care of others. But, I'm sure you already know all that! Collostrum's cool, huh? I think mine started to switch over at about month 7 and then all my milk was replaced with colostrum at about 4 weeks before babe came.

Heartburn -- I found theraputic mint chocolate chip ice cream to help me. YUM! Bryers was my fav.

Adventuregirl -- I second, third, fourth the idea of tempering your response about homebirth criticism depending on the person. Bagger at grocery store, nod/smile. Friend from H.S., use humor. Co-worker, gentle information that respects their birth decisions. MIL, provide strong information that could wollup if need be! When my husband is asked why we chose to have our children at home his response is always the same, "Wherever a mother tells you she wants to give birth, BELIEVE HER." I like his response.

Oh, update on my wraps and prefolds for newborn. Uh, after many washings the meconium is beginning to come out...sort of. Glad I was using my "vintage" diapers from circa 1974 from my MIL's stash. Although, they aren't quite thick enough for night time with my (THANK GOODNESS!) great sleeping baby. A friend of mine passed on some AIO that look a little big, but I'm going to try them tonight in hopes of preventing leaks. I am glad though that I didn't buy too many newborn wraps. Cicely is 12 days old and quickly growing out of them. I'm dying to know how much weights she's gained so far. MW comes over on Monday to do check-up.

Happy gestating vibes & Labor vibes to those who want them!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#149 of 175 Old 03-21-2004, 10:24 AM

This is from an e-mail from Mamaroni's Husband!!!! (She wanted me to spread the word)

hello Claire,_ this is Colleen's husband Jeff. she wanted me to write_you_to let you_know it looks like it's time.__she is feeling good and contractions are_3-5 minutes apart._ we have_our first midwife Debbie here and_Col's good friend Lee_who also attended our first two births.__everything_it well and_I or she will report any new developments._

okay now the 2nd midwife has arrived._ full house all we now is a baby._ wish_us luck and we'll type at you soon.

6:01a.m. (1st day of spring)_

MAMARONI'S IN LABOR! SEND LOTS OF POSITIVE VIBES!

#150 of 175 Old 03-21-2004, 01:29 PM

At 9:20 Colleen's DH wrote:
no baby yet, serious contractions but not serious enough._ my prediction is about 9:50 she will arrive._ thanks for all of your kind words I will let Colleen you are thinking about her.

Then this just in:
okay, she's out.....10:37a.m._ She is beautiful, happy, healthy, hairy,_and hungry._ that's all I can tell you for now._ no decision on the name yet and we haven't even weighed her yet.__ more details to follow, but for now everyone is doing fine.

Woo-Hoo! Another beautiful homebirthed babe brought in the world! What a wonderful first day of spring!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page