Consuming raw placenta vs encapsulating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so fact is, I can't afford another $200 to pay for someone to encapsulate. I don't think DH will be taking any time off other than birth (maybe a day or 2 so that I can work on BFing since we had so much trouble with DD) so he won't have time...

So, I'm considering consuming it raw. I was already planning to consume some of it raw in a smoothie after birth but what do I do with it further?

I have suffered PPD twice (now don't get me wrong, both births were unecessary c-sections and traumatic) and I want to do anything I can to prevent that again.

So... How does one consume the placenta? Do I eat or smoothie the whole thing right away? Cut it and freeze it and consume it once a week, once a month?

Help from those with experience!!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM

I had my mws cut it up and freeze it. then I made a smoothie with it every day for a week. I had a lot more to use after the week (just didn't feel like I needed anymore), so I'm assuming you could just keep going with the daily smoothies until you run out of placenta.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Would it be possible to have a friend or family member encapsulate it? That is what I am doing.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did the smoothie right after the birth and then my dh cut most of the rest into chunks. We kept enough in the fridge for 3 days and froze the rest. Blended with frozen berries and yogurt I couldn't tell it was in there at all so it totally worked for me. I didn't consider encapsulating for long since just the thought of the smell of that was awful.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:50 AM

That's what I'm planning to do too - placenta smoothie straight after birth, then I'll get DH or doula to cut it up for me and freeze it - I guess I can take it straight out of the freezer to blend it, since I can blend frozen berries/ice cubes...

But not sure how to freeze it so it doesn't all stick together? Any ideas?

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Old 04-17-2010, 07:27 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 04-17-2010, 11:29 PM

I had my parents encapsulate mine this time, but next time I'm going to do smoothies...less work and I honestly couldn't taste it. If I could, there is no way I'd be able to *gag* it down. I had two placenta smoothies this time, but it was being dried before I realized I would have been fine with just the smoothies.

To freeze it so it doesn't sick together, cut the chunks and freeze individually on a cutting board, once frozen, put into a bag.

Oh, and I wouldn't eat it all at once. Especially with a history of PPD. I would probably put a few chunks in a smoothie each day, for a few weeks at least. I am 6 weeks PP and still taking one pill a day.

ETA: Just thought of another way to freeze it, you could blend it and pour it into ice cube trays, then add a cube a day to the smoothie.

Mama to three

Old 04-23-2010, 10:32 AM

I have mine in the freezer from 2 years ago, I wonder if it could help during my next pregnancy! I was keeping it to plant it which has not happened yet.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

ETA: Just thought of another way to freeze it, you could blend it and pour it into ice cube trays, then add a cube a day to the smoothie.
Would the blending and freezing affect the nutrients/hormones more or less than encapsulating?

Also does anyone know how long a placenta will stay "good" in the fridge?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 04-23-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post
Would the blending and freezing affect the nutrients/hormones more or less than encapsulating?

Also does anyone know how long a placenta will stay "good" in the fridge?
From what I know about freezing, it is one of the best ways to preserve nutrients. So I think freezing it would be second best to consuming it fresh. I would think it would stay good in the fridge as long as any "meat", and I don't eat meat, so I have no idea what that is.

I think cooking first would take away some of the nutrients, just like cooking vegetables does.

Mama to three

Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
From what I know about freezing, it is one of the best ways to preserve nutrients. So I think freezing it would be second best to consuming it fresh. I would think it would stay good in the fridge as long as any "meat", and I don't eat meat, so I have no idea what that is.

I think cooking first would take away some of the nutrients, just like cooking vegetables does.
Yeah I think I'm going to leave it in the fridge for a couple days and eat it raw (in a smoothie), then blend and freeze in ice cube trays for the subsequent days.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

User Tag List