What will you do with the placenta? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After getting over the initial ick factor, I've become quite interested in the idea of placenta encapsulation. It's only an "idea" because I don't think I'd really be up for chopping and grinding it and filling all those capsules. As far as I can tell there is no service available here that would do that.

I mentioned the concept to DH and he was repulsed and horrified (wait, I may have put that too mildly) and not willing to be drawn on the matter. The blood and gore of labour might not change his feelings towards me but I think that the idea of his wife ingesting a human organ might be too much to take.

That's fair enough, so I tried sounding him out on other options, like planting it in the garden and growing a tree. Ever the pragmatist he gave me that look that lets me know that my state of mind is questionable, and pointed out that every passing cat, dog and fox would be digging it up and there would be a half-chewed placenta appearing on the deck every other day. Ugh.

I can't see him appreciating a "tree of life" print either. So basically what I'm planning at the moment is to let the midwife dispose of it as medical waste. Actually I'm not even certain that the midwives would let me have it in the first place.

It just makes me curious to know what other mums plan to do with theirs, if anything.
#2 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 06:03 PM

Our son was born in December. His placenta is in a gallon baggie in the freezer waiting to be planted with a special tree.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#3 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My midwife never takes placentas. I would have ate some in a bleeding emergency, otherwise nah not my thing. After cutting the cord at 1 hour old we stuck it straight in the freezer in trash bag in an ice cream tub. Mine's thawing now, 10 months later, only because DS1 moved it looking for popsicles. Now I'm going to get around to planting it - DEEP underground just to be sure, maybe cut into pieces or blended up to spread the nutrient goodness around...though to break it up feels weird, I'll see how I feel when it's thawed and I see it again.
#4 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 09:01 PM

Not pregnant yet, but I'll be eating a bite raw and encapsulating the rest... I would imagine you could find directions online. I plan to have it professionally done.

My DH thinks it is gross, too, but I don't care in the slightest.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#5 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 PM

My MW has a person who encapsulates placentas. I had her encapsulate mine, and I'm taking it a couple a day. I'm hoping it really helps me ward off the blues this time.
#6 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 03:16 AM

I'm getting mine encapsulated by a local lady who does it as a home business. She charges 175$(Canadian)and includes pick up and delivery, and a print if you want.
I don't see how the midwives could not "let" you have it, it should be your property.. it was part of your body.

Nursing a toddlerfly-by-nursing1.gifNurturing a preschooler jog.gif   

ribboncesarean.gifx2

#7 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 02:24 PM

We planted a fruit tree over ds's. And plan to do the same with this next baby's. We do cherry tree a for boy, peach tree a for girl. I don't know why, it's just what we came up with. But I thought it was a cool idea that each kid would have their own fruit tree that grew from the same thing they grew from.

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
#8 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 PM

With my first pregnancy, I just let my MW take it and use it in her garden (we knew we were moving out of state shortly and didn't want to deal with storing the placenta for 6 mos. and then living in another rental).

This time, my doula has volunteered to dehydrate and encapsulate it for me. I'm vegan, so the idea of chopping and drying the thing is really kind of hard for me to stomach. I'm just going to close my eyes and swallow the pills with a lot of O.J. and hope for the best.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#9 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 03:49 PM

I'm going to drink a placenta smoothie soon after the birth. That way I won't be able to taste it. Then my midwife will encapsulate the rest for me. DW thinks it's completely gross, but I don't care. Our midwife recommends frying it up with some veggies, but as of right now, I don't think I could do that.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#10 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 PM

I still have DD2's in the freezer... planning to put it under a tree if we ever plant one!

I am intrigued by the encapsulation idea. I might do that, but I don't know about preparing it myself. I really don't think anyone around here does it. I definitely couldn't eat it or do a smoothie.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#11 of 16 Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well I told you mine was thawing, I finally got it in the ground yesterday, over 3 ft deep. When we get the chance, I believe I'll plant Camilla japonica bush over it in that shady corner of the yard, like this: http://www.huntersville.org/interact...ellia-bush.jpg
#12 of 16 Old 04-15-2010, 03:34 PM

I tossed my daughter's placenta into the ocean. I'm pretty sure some gulls ate it.
#13 of 16 Old 04-15-2010, 06:47 PM

I'm planning to encapsulate mine. I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but I have the basic idea from reading some forums on here. The idea of eating the placenta does gross me out quite a bit, but encapsulating it seems quite tolerable to me. I think the benefits are worth it, and so does my husband.
#14 of 16 Old 04-15-2010, 07:00 PM

I am going to encapsulate mine, or have a friend do it. At first I was totally grossed out by it but after learning about all of the benefits, how could I not. I am seriously considering starting my own encapsulation business and have started asking friends if I can do it for them. LOL!
#15 of 16 Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 PM

I'm Muslim so I'm gonna bury mine.

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

#16 of 16 Old 04-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Half of my DD's placenta was dried and encapsulated. I'm planning on doing the same thing for this little one as well. The other halves will be planted under special trees. I'd like to wait to do it when they hit puberty, mostly because when DD was a year old, I started preparing a special ceremony and got so emotional about it, I couldn't go through with it.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page