A super simple receiving blanket idea - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This seems really obvious so sorry if it's already been talked about, but my midwife has been a midwife for 30 years and never thought of it so thought I'd share!

On the check-off list for supplies to have on hand for my HB she asked for a whole ton of receiving blankets. Well I went to get some and had an attack of frugality. I just couldn't pay $3 a pop! So I went to goodwill and found a couple really nice quality old flannel sheets. I bought one "real" receiveing blanket there also and used that as a template for cutting the sheet up into many many receiving blankets! So it was like 15 blankets for $4!

I'm cloth diapering, so when the receiving blankets no longer fit, I just cut them up even smaller and sewed them into umteenbillion cloth wipes! The green in me did a little happy dance

Just thought I'd share
#2 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 PM

I am looking for receiving blankets too.

What kind of sheets do you mean? Purely cotton? I think of receiving blankets as somewhat absorbent, generally made from a flannelette. We used them for catching spit up or breast milk leaks...wet stuff. I can't imagine a sheet being very soft, warm or absorbent. Or did you buy flannel sheets?

4 kids under 10
#3 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes, flannel. sorry, though I wrote that, I'll have to go edit - it's definitely important they be flannel. They were some nice cushy flannel ones, all cotton
#4 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 05:43 PM

I was going to go that route, but I couldn't find any second-hand flannel sheets.
I got flannel from the clearance table at the fabric store, instead.
I took the leftovers after making receiving blankets, and turned them into cloth wipes, so I didn't have any scraps to throw away.

When I'm done with the blankets, I'll probably use the flannel to make more diapers, or to make cloth training pants or something.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#5 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 AM
wbg

You mamas are inspiring!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#6 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 11:48 AM

That's a great idea. I was supposed to have 6, and had 3 left from Ds. I lucked out because my college was giving away used clothes to the student mothers and I found 3 more receiving blankets.
#7 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 11:10 PM

My favourite receiving blankets are ones my aunt made herself. They are doubled (two pieces of flannel sewn together) and are bigger then a regular recieving blanket. They are over 20 years old now and we are the third family to use them and they still look great! I think they actually get better/ softer with time.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#8 of 8 Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 AM

Want to add, when you make your own, you can always make them a little bigger. I think the store bought ones are a little too small.

Mama to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page