Homebirth with Medi-Cal and PPO in California! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.newearthmidwife.com/

Just found this link!
I don't know this midwife, but I just wanted to share that there ARE homebirth midwives in california that can accept medi-cal! YAY! I wish this had been an option when I was having my first there!
I may be way behind, but when I last visited this subject, there did not seem to be ANY homebirth midwives in CA that accepted medi-cal. So, just wanted to post this in case anyone in northern CA was looking for a homebirth midwife but limited by financial resources.
- Jen
WarmHandsDoula likes this.

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 AM

I live in the Fresno area and both the home birth midwife and doula I will be using both are 100% covered by Medi-Cal (not sure about my PPO yet). It sure takes a lot of stress out of the whole process! Thanks for sharing.

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#3 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM

I know in my state the midwives won't accept Medicaid for a few reasons.

1. They need to make a living and can't drop their rates to accomodate the low reimbursement of assistance programs.
2. They think that people having babies should learn to budget and pay their own bills.
3. They would have to follow more federal regulations in their practice.

There are pros and cons to accepting government assistance and I am glad that there are some midwives in California who are accepting it, but we have to understand the extra liabilities and limitations midwives are placed under after accepting government subsidies.

#4 of 8 Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckumelos View Post
I know in my state the midwives won't accept Medicaid for a few reasons.

1. They need to make a living and can't drop their rates to accomodate the low reimbursement of assistance programs.
2. They think that people having babies should learn to budget and pay their own bills.
3. They would have to follow more federal regulations in their practice.

There are pros and cons to accepting government assistance and I am glad that there are some midwives in California who are accepting it, but we have to understand the extra liabilities and limitations midwives are placed under after accepting government subsidies.
What state do you live in?

I'm hoping you didn't mean it that way, but #2 just seems so incredibly judgemental!!! WOW! I've been of the opinion for such a long time that economically challenged women deserve to choose homebirth too! Just because they happen to be poor does not mean they can't pay their bills!?!?! Being on Medi-cal doesn't mean you don't have a job, pay your rent or are not responsible in lots of other ways. Did you mean it to say that women on medicade are not budgeting and paying their own bills?
Some women who are in the income bracket of being able to qualify for medi-cal could greatly benefit from the amazing empowerment that some experience from their homebirths and from the radically different care that they receive at the hands of midwives. Looking back at my own births, I wish I had had the option of homebirth with medi-cal with my first son. I didn't, and had a traumatic hospital birth. It's part of what led me into birth work, so for that I'm grateful, but I also know how very very important it is that birthing women be treated with love and respect, and I have personally witnessed many many women on state insurance being treated like cattle instead!!! Get em' in, get em' out seems to be the motto, both for the doctor's office visits and for the hospital.
I have doula'd these women for free or very reduced costs and my heart has ached to see the treatment of them while in the hospital, as the nurses and other care providers know who are the "medicade" moms and who have private insurance. I've seen the calloused indifference of doctors who don't have enough time to spend with them, with their questions and concerns, because the docs themselves have to rush them through, to see enough moms to make enough money to cover their insurance and office overhead and make a living too.
Sure, there are more restrictions for midwives who accept medi-cal, and as I understand it at the moment, only CNM's can take medi-cal anyway, not CPM's... so there's your first restriction... but for those women who DO qualify for homebirth with medi-cal, it may just be an incredible, life-changing experience.
I'm no expert, but I think that you may have meant that the midwives have to follow more state regulations? It's a state-funded insurance we're talking about... not federal... I could be wrong though. In the case of state regs, I don't think it would be different in CA, because they're already having to follow the state regs for LM's....
Respectfully,
Jen
WarmHandsDoula likes this.

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#5 of 8 Old 05-24-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMatsumoto View Post
I live in the Fresno area and both the home birth midwife and doula I will be using both are 100% covered by Medi-Cal (not sure about my PPO yet). It sure takes a lot of stress out of the whole process! Thanks for sharing.
I also live in the Fresno area and was hoping you would be able to give me the name of your midwife and doula.
thanks
#6 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydoula View Post

Just found this link!
I don't know this midwife, but I just wanted to share that there ARE homebirth midwives in california that can accept medi-cal! YAY! I wish this had been an option when I was having my first there!
I may be way behind, but when I last visited this subject, there did not seem to be ANY homebirth midwives in CA that accepted medi-cal. So, just wanted to post this in case anyone in northern CA was looking for a homebirth midwife but limited by financial resources.
- Jen
hello! does anyone have info for homebirthing midwives in the Bay Area (Marin, San Francisco, East Bay) who are accepting Med-Cal? thanks
#7 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydoula View Post

Just found this link!
- Jen
I just sent her an email. Apparently she's limited in what she can charge Medi-Cal, so I would have to pay 2,500 out of pocket. Normally we could save up for it because I'm a pinny pincher, but only a feew months is short notice. Plus that would mean I probably wouldn't be able to pay for some sort of childbirth prep (Hypnobabies or Bradley, idk) or a doula. I know the birth center is covered fully, so I might go there instead. My heart is kind of breaking over this as every time I picture labor and birth I picture it here! I'm going to see what I can do... I would LOVE advice!

Oh, I almost forgot about another midwife http://www.sacramentohomebirth.com/default.html
In her email she said she gives a discount to Medi-Cal moms because she's not covered. I haven't met any of the midwives (except at the birth center) but this one seems like the right one for me. I'm going to see what she charges and see if I can start setting aside the money.
#8 of 8 Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianakaye View Post
I just sent her an email. Apparently she's limited in what she can charge Medi-Cal, so I would have to pay 2,500 out of pocket. Normally we could save up for it because I'm a pinny pincher, but only a feew months is short notice. Plus that would mean I probably wouldn't be able to pay for some sort of childbirth prep (Hypnobabies or Bradley, idk) or a doula. I know the birth center is covered fully, so I might go there instead. My heart is kind of breaking over this as every time I picture labor and birth I picture it here! I'm going to see what I can do... I would LOVE advice!

Oh, I almost forgot about another midwife http://www.sacramentohomebirth.com/default.html
In her email she said she gives a discount to Medi-Cal moms because she's not covered. I haven't met any of the midwives (except at the birth center) but this one seems like the right one for me. I'm going to see what she charges and see if I can start setting aside the money.
Well, that's a bit of a bummer!
It would shock the pants off you to know that here in MI, in my area, midwives charge about $1500. Total!
I know!!!
Anyway...
My advice? Coming from a mom expecting #5, having had two hospital and two homebirths... I would NEVER birth anywhere but where I wanted to. And where I want to is H.O.M.E. It's where i feel most comfortable and happy and secure and normal and free to do my thing... if that's wriggling around naked on my bed or tromping through the house with a towel or getting in and out of the tub as many times as I feel like it... it's whatever I need to do. So, because you will only birth THIS baby this ONE time... I say, do whatever you need to do to have your baby where YOU need to! If home is it, then truly, you will FIND a way to make it happen. Have faith and talk to the midwives that resonate with you. It's very likely that they will work with you to find a payment plan that will work even in reduced income circumstances.
Best of LUCK to you and happy birthing! - Jen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page