Homebirth and Insurance in PA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this was already brought up before but if you could help me out it would be fabulous. We are planning a HBA2C, what can we expect with insurance? Is there a better insurance that serves berks co PA that would be more willing to pay? Can you get any of it covered up front? Or are we looking to put all the money up front? We are so new to this homebirth experience and could really use the advice. Thanks so much!
#2 of 10 Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM

What kind of insurance do you have? I'm in Bucks County and have attempted an HBAC and dealt with the insurance aspect extensively - I had Aetna PPO and they paid 80%. Generally, any insurance that will cover or partially cover out-of-network providers is a good bet that they'll pony up as long as your midwife files the correct paperwork. If you have an HMO, it's far harder and you'll probably have to pay out of pocket. If you have Medicaid/Adult Basic/anything government-sponsored (I do now) you have to pay out of pocket.

In my experience most midwives are open to payment plans but want it paid up by the birth, or you can pay up front.

Hope that helps some!

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#3 of 10 Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 PM

I am in Berks..you can Pm me if you would like.
#4 of 10 Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 PM

I am hearing that people either

a) pay upfront, let the MW submit the bill to insurance, maybe coded in such a way that it wasn't obviously a HB, and hope for reimbursement, or

b) there are a few CNMs that are in network providers for some insurances. I would start by looking at your current provider directory.

The MW I'll be using if I ever get PG again has a licensed birth center and is an in network provider for my PPO (BCBS of Mass, I'm in Pennsylvania though.) She does do home births, though, billed a certain way.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#5 of 10 Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 PM

I'm with Highmark (PPO) and they will not pay for non-nurse midwives. There are billing tricks they can use, and I can't swear you won't get something back, but only CNMs are on their covered provider list. There's nothing in my policy documents saying they will not pay for home birth, though.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#6 of 10 Old 05-07-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

we have to pay up front and cross our fingers that it will be covered! Our HBA2C midwife is wonderful and hopefully we will be able to work something out. Though its going to be rough financially to pay it up front. It will be better for my health in the long run even if we end up paying out of pocket. Just hoping it will get covered....even HALF will be a blessing!!!
#7 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 05:01 PM

I have Blue Cross PPO and they paid 80%.
#8 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM

So what I'm seeing is that highmark in PA DOES cover homebirth? I have a CNM. I also have a weird account through DHs work that you get so much put into it every year and you can use it toward coinsurance and deductibles. I would be sooooo happy if they paid! How does the coding work? If it blatantly states that it was a homebirth, do they still pay? Please help, I want to make sure this is done right.

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#9 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
I'm with Highmark (PPO) and they will not pay for non-nurse midwives. There are billing tricks they can use, and I can't swear you won't get something back, but only CNMs are on their covered provider list. There's nothing in my policy documents saying they will not pay for home birth, though.
AlexisT-

I'm going through dealing with Highmark right now for my homebirth in February. They haven't denied my claim yet and I'm still working on them. I've got my fingers crossed. I didn't use a CNM. When did you attempt reimbursement?

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#10 of 10 Old 04-10-2014, 01:33 AM

I think i have blue cross blue shield, i don't really understand all the 'ppo' thing that you had,  i would love to experience a homebirth in the future, does it cover homebirths?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page