What would you do Re: Pre-term labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2002, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, we are planning a homebirth for #3 and I am having some pre-term labor at 34 weeks. I had pre-term labor with #2 (7 years ago) from 28 weeks on. I was a sheep back then and went to the hospital, took the drugs, thanked the doctors and did the bedrest thing. I carried to 37 weeks but it was a very difficult last few weeks.
I had cervical cancer shortly before #2 which resulted in a cone-ization therefor was diagnosed with an incompetent cervix. We were hoping that since it has been so long that my cervix has had plenty of time to heal.
Well, I had some contractions about 2 weeks ago, made sure I drank tons and went to bed - they lasted about 2 hours but then went away. Then last night they started up again, this time laying down didn't help and I got in the tub for about an hour, they stopped and I went to bed. Today I have had a few painful ones although they are not regular.
I am thinking if I have more tonight and tomorrow I should call the MW on monday and possibly ask for an internal. This would be my first so she doesn't have anything to compare to but I was thinking that if I'm not dialating I don't have to worry so much and if I am dialating maybe I should go on bedrest (I do work outside the home, my last day is supposed to be 5/30). This little bugger needs to stay put for at least another 2 weeks.
What would you do? Ask for the internal? Wait it out?
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Keri
edd 6/14/02

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2002, 02:54 PM

I would have the internal, just so you know if your contractions are doing anything. I had the same thing at 33 weeks and even though the contractions were painful, my internal showed the cervix to still be tightly closed, so no worries. I think it'd be a relief for you to know.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

COLMW - I also wanted to let you know that as far as I can tell the contractions I am talking about are not Braxton Hicks. I have had my share of those as well but they don't worry me nearly as much. With my BH my uterus tightens and I feel a band of uncomfortableness under my belly for 20-45 seconds and then it goes away. Sometimes there is a pattern but usually not. With these contractions the band wraps around my back feeling like it is penetrating me, squeezing me and makes my hips ache. They are more uncomfortable and sometimes require my attention. I am hoping that my uterus is a bit irritated or over-active and that my cervix is tight as a drum but I think knowing this will help me keep my focus. I know I can carry this baby for at least another 2 weeks - but financially I don't want to quit both jobs if the dilation is not happening. Obviously if there is dilation occuring I will put baby first and leave both jobs.
Keri

Old 05-05-2002, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized that what I typed 10 minutes ago did not post.
I wanted to thank you Circle of Life MW for your thoughtful response. I am a very positive person. I have a part time (6 hours) day job as well as being a personal trainer 3 evenings a week. Being a trainer is great because I am in very good physical condition but I spend quite a bit of time on my feet. If dilation were occuring I would quit both jobs immediately. However, if I am not I would like to continue working.
I am seeing my MW tomorrow for our birthing class and I will discuss with her your recommendations and see what she says.
This may just be the way things are for the remainder of my pregnancy and could go on for another 4-6 weeks. Time will tell.
I think I will have her check to give me peace of mind. I think it will also help with my visualization and if need be I will focus all of my attention away from my jobs and solely on my most important job of carrying this babe to a safter time. He or she is my #1 priority and I want to give my body and this baby as much of my undivided attention as it needs.
Keri

Old 05-05-2002, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Duh! I just realized that my post went up as a new post rather than a response - it is called thanks. :

Old 05-11-2002, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My midwife made me have a bottle of Lobelia tinctre on hand for preterm labor. I am not sure what to do with it though. It was kinda "I'll tell you when you call" sort of thing. That might be someting to look into.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List