How could this happen in a homebirth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 40 Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh933 View Post
Holy cow! That woman lives one town over from me, and birthed a week before me. When we took DS into our family doc at a day old, she tried to get me to submit to all kinds of blood work and told me there was a really sick HB mama at the hospital next door. I hadn't seen the rest of the story until now. How awful.
She's in my area as well. It's a truly heartbreaking story.

The more I try and find numbers on Strep A maternal deaths in the US, the more I am convinced it's truly a rare event and somewhat random. Your doctor may have been a bit upset by the situation, and not thinking clearly (as we all do when faced with such a troubling story) when pushing extra blood work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Searches in all the usual spots for the number of maternal deaths per year in the US due to Strep A might be fruitless. Would probably be even harder to find morbidity due to Strep A (injury but not death). It seems that we (the US) haven't been very good about recording causes of maternal mortality/morbidity (perhaps even to the point of 'deflating' mortality). The CDC proposed changes to death certificates but that was in 2007 - I don't know if the changes have taken effect.

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
here is a summary from a 2001 article on Strep A colonization - basically stating why it isn't screened for--

"Six thousand nine hundred forty-four screening cultures were obtained. Among these 1,393 were positive for group B streptococci and 2 for group A streptococci, yielding colonization rates of 20.1% and 0.03%, respectively."
#33 of 40 Old 05-29-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
here is a summary from a 2001 article on Strep A colonization - basically stating why it isn't screened for--

"Six thousand nine hundred forty-four screening cultures were obtained. Among these 1,393 were positive for group B streptococci and 2 for group A streptococci, yielding colonization rates of 20.1% and 0.03%, respectively."
Thanks. Good info. Supports the other rare & random event numbers. Which article is that from?

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
#35 of 40 Old 05-30-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
Vaginal-rectal colonization with group A streptococci in late pregnancy.
P B Mead and W C Winn
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington 05401, USA.
P B Mead: [email protected]

free full text pdf-
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...5/?tool=pubmed
Wow, thanks for the info!!! This makes me feel a bit better (the fact that it is so rare). But I would still like to be tested for all forms of Strep later on- does anyone do that??

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#36 of 40 Old 05-31-2010, 05:46 AM

I'm also in the Houston area and have been following this story.

I have declined strep B tests for my home births after discussing them (and my particular situation) with my MW. We also discussed that there are some treatment plans that are very successful in killing off any strep B that you can do at home. Essentially it's rinsing the vaginal area with hibiclens, I believe. I'm not certain if that would kill OTHER strep strains, but it's worth talking to your MW about.

A few things I do know about strep B... Most people will have it at some point in their lives. You can test positive for it one day, and NOT the next. While a positive test may, in a hospital setting, get you marked as "strep B positive" for life, it is clear that colonization changes and CAN be changed by things like hibiclens wash.

The family in this case is also still very pro-homebirth. One article quoted a doctor as saying, "you can scratch your head and get it." Strep is EVERYWHERE - we just don't normally get enough of it to cause a problem. Absolutely, being at home is THE best place for avoiding things like strep. Whatever germs are there are ones you're already going to have been exposed to.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#37 of 40 Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I have declined strep B tests for my home births after discussing them (and my particular situation) with my MW. We also discussed that there are some treatment plans that are very successful in killing off any strep B that you can do at home. Essentially it's rinsing the vaginal area with hibiclens, I believe. I'm not certain if that would kill OTHER strep strains, but it's worth talking to your MW about.
I have declined strep test too. I know that my sister has to take abx every birth since she has tested positive once years ago before a birth. I don't like stories like this as it gets me all frazzled. What a story.
Still I am going to have all my future babies at home as I feel that a hospital birth is less safe for sure. But I may get the strep tests next time...
#38 of 40 Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 PM

I heard this story a couple of days ago and was kind of... confused. Hospitals are way more notorious for a birthing woman to develop a Strep infection. I would almost call the disease unrelated were it not for it starting in her uterus. I have NEVER heard of a homebirth mama getting any kind of serious infection like this.

But, rest assured, it will not deter me from having my HBA3C with my next baby.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#39 of 40 Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 PM

This article actually made me justify homebirth even more in mind. I think that exposure to diseases like that would be much more common in the hospital (although obviously not unheard of outside of the hospital). I'd much rather be at home with a lower risk, even is home is no guarantee, the odds are better I believe.
I am personally sending that mom, baby and family a whole llot of love and prayers.
#40 of 40 Old 06-04-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I'm also in the Houston area and have been following this story.

A few things I do know about strep B... Most people will have it at some point in their lives. You can test positive for it one day, and NOT the next. While a positive test may, in a hospital setting, get you marked as "strep B positive" for life, it is clear that colonization changes and CAN be changed by things like hibiclens wash.

The family in this case is also still very pro-homebirth. One article quoted a doctor as saying, "you can scratch your head and get it." Strep is EVERYWHERE - we just don't normally get enough of it to cause a problem. Absolutely, being at home is THE best place for avoiding things like strep. Whatever germs are there are ones you're already going to have been exposed to.
Oh, I agree with all of this. My little boy got impetigo last year. A Kaiser doctor explained that there are a couple of sources of impetigo, one being strep. Then I got the strep lesson : )
Strep is generally not dangerous and is pretty common, he told me...but there are a few strains that are deadly and invasive (like the one that killed Jim Henson).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page