How long to fill the fishy pool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that they recommend doing a trial run to see how long it takes to set up and fill the pool but I am having a hard time justifying the time/money/work/water/gas that would use. I know it will vary for everyone but if you used the fishy pool for your birth (or something of similar size) how long did it take you to fill? Thanks!
(We have a great electric pump so I don't think inflating should take too long.)

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM

We did not do a trial run because of the factors you listed. We did blow up the pool in advance and let it air out- I found it to be very stinky. We kept it inflated and had the tarp, tubing and pool supplies together and easily accessible.

When DH and his friend filled the pool, I think it took about an hour or less. I was in labor so I am not positive on the time, but it didn't take very long at all. DH ran the hose from the sink to the pool and had that running. Then DH and his friends took large pots and bowls and filled them from the bath tub and dumped them in the pool. DH also had two pots of water boiling on the stove.

We didn't turn the water heater up until I knew I was in labor for sure, which was only a few hours before he started to fill up the tub. I found it to be plenty hot for the few hours I was laboring.

HTH

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 12:16 AM

2 hours. Our water heater runs out after 12 minutes. It took an hour+ to reheat the water heater. Our pool takes 2 tanks of hot water to fill it. Plus the extra time to add enough cold water to bring it to the right depth. You need to have it deep enough so that the baby is completely submerged under water when it is being born.

Electric pump took about 10 minutes to inflate. I highly recommend that you inflate the pool ahead of time to air it out, they really smell strong. Plus, you might want to know that it actually inflates and fits in the room etc.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#4 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 02:54 AM

Ours took about 15 minutes to inflate. We did this ahead of time so it could air out (yucky plastic smell) and so I could give it a good wipe down. We kept it covered with a clean, large sheet to keep the dust out.

I don't remember how long it took to fill but it wasn't very long. I'd guess about 20-30 mins max.
#5 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 AM
L J

I don't remember how long it took to inflate, it was quick, though. We inflated it a few days before my edd and kept it propped against a wall until we needed it.

We ran a hose from the washing machine to the pool, and it took less than an hour to fill. We were living in an apt complex with shared water heaters, though, and they were super industrial size - we never, ever ran out of hot water. If we had to wait for the water heater to refill and reheat, it probably would have taken close to two hours. That's what we are planning for this time, in this house with a small water heater.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#6 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Oh.My.Goodness. I just pulled out the pump to inflate the pool and it DIED. I am sooo glad that you guys suggested doing it early to air out. On the up side after me searching around the house for the pump (DH put it somewhere random) ranting, "How am I going to have a baby? I need the pump so I can have a baby!' 2 y/o DD is rolling around the bottom of the pool saying: "Having a baby! I'm having Baby Cora!"

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#7 of 8 Old 06-24-2010, 04:37 PM

I was always too lazy and cheap to do a trial-run. I want to say it takes about 45 minutes or so to fill. (You'd think I'd know for sure by now.)

Yes, I would definitely recommend blowing it up beforehand to air it out and make sure it doesn't have any holes.

If you're using a hose attachment for your sink, then I would definitely do a trial-run attaching that and making sure it works properly.

Woohoo for waterbirth! I can't wait to do it again!

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#8 of 8 Old 06-26-2010, 04:41 PM

We blew up the pool and put our 50-gallon hot water tank on high at 37 weeks.
It couldn't have taken any more than a half-hour to fill using a hose attached to our shower. Filling the pool exhausted the hot water tank, and then we just let it fill the rest of the way with the cold water, and it turned out perfect!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page