Birth pool question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for some insight into the AquaDoula tub.

My second son was a waterbirth in a FSBC, and they had an oversized tub, fiberglass like what you would have in your bathroom, but a little deeper/longer/wider. DH ended up sitting on the side of the tub and I kinda draped myself over his knees so he could press on my back.

As a doula, I've attended 1 homebirth with an inflatable birth tub...much deeper, thick walls, and the mom was able to really lean on them, and even sit on them as she got out of the tub to rest for a second. So I assumed that would be the kind of tub I would have at my homebirth.

But when my mw brought her tub to my home last week, it's an AquaDoula. I'm kinda bummed because all this time I had envisioned draping myself over teh side of the tub, having somewhere to lay my head, etc. And now...well, how on earth DO you relax in an AquaDoula? It looks like all I can do is either hold myself up on my hands and knees or sit on my butt and lean back against the side.

Anyone who has used one have any insight? I've really been focusing on this image in my head of how my labor would be for months now, and having a non-inflatable tub changes everything.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Bump...Anyone? Any ideas on how to get comfy in the pool? Any positions or little tips that I haven't thought of?

I've been having ctx every 20 min or so for about 3 days now, and right now they are every 8-10, so I might not have much time to figure this out!

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#3 of 5 Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM

I didn't use the AqualDoula, I used a La Bassine.

I really liked it because it was oval, and I'm small so I fit in it just right. Once transition hit I couldnt' get comfy in the pool since I had to stand during a contraction, just what my body had to do. But inbetween contractions I would sit on my butt and have my legs as far a part as I could get them, and that was comfy, leaning forward felt nice and having my belly touch the bottom. I also liked to squat in the pool, that felt nice, brought pressure off my stomach and bladder. I know some like to lay side ways in one.
#4 of 5 Old 06-23-2010, 12:01 AM

I read (maybe on here?) about moms putting pillows in garbage bags (then I guess another pillow case) and leaning on those over the side of the pool.

mom to my two goober boys - Bubba (3) and Buckey (1)
#5 of 5 Old 06-25-2010, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I rented an Aqua Doula from my midwife. I am 5-10 and needed more room than my bathtub could provide. I found that the sides of the tub were sturdy enough when it was filled. I was able to move around and lean on the sides. My only advise would be to put a mat underneath if possible. I had mine on concrete and would have liked a little cushion!

'09   

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page