How to Get Your House Ready for a Home Birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought there was some helpful information in this article, its about preparing our homes for homebirth. With the main topics:
- how to make a birth bed
- stocking the refrigerator
- birthing foods

I do recall reading this information on the MDC homebirth preparation thread (I forget what its called) but I thought the making a birth bed was through and concise. Hope this helps someone else.

How to Get Your House Ready for a Home Birth

Does anyone have additional advice/tips that they want to share?

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 AM

As soon as I saw those double lines, I've been wondering this, myself! I will start forcing myself to "nest" and I am not even really that far along. I look around at my house now and get stressed out just thinking about it!

My plan is to totally get rid of all the clutter everywhere so I won't be stressing about that, and for the last month or so, really making sure I keep the areas where I might want to birth (bed, bathroom/shower for laboring, and kitchen floor) fairly clean.

I am not opposed to hiring a cleaning service toward the end, either!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#3 of 29 Old 06-27-2010, 12:48 AM

Wow, thanks! I came on here tonight looking for exactly this! I never would have thought about getting enough safety pins to pin all the sheets and stuff to the mattress. I AM planning to labor/birth mostly in bed (at least thats where I wanted to be for most of my previous two births), so sheets/liners wiggling around would have driven me crazy.

I'm now less than 6 weeks to my EDD, and thankfully the cleaning/organizing part is done. Now I just have to keep it that way! We are doing two vacations between now and my EDD, so I wanted it all done, and DH helped me this week.

Thanks again!
#4 of 29 Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM

nak

my advice is to get ready for your hb *before* your water breaks

seriously - assuming that you have until 40 weeks is not a plan i would repeat!

(it was a great birth - just a little more chaotic than i would have preferred!)
#5 of 29 Old 06-27-2010, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My best advice is to de-clutter your home.
I felt much more at ease knowing everything was in it's place (for my comfort) and knowing I had nothing to do but focus on my baby. My partner, the love that he is, was kind to keep things in order during our birth. My midwife and her apprentice cleaned up everything before they left. It was fantastic. I remember laying on the bed with our baby and feeling so at peace.
NuzzleNudge likes this.

'09   
#6 of 29 Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
I was freaking out a little about cleaning my house, especially my bathroom prior to my HB. But in the end, I didn't really do anything except make the bed with a shower curtain liner and double sheets. As it turns out, that was all I needed to do, too! And it was easily and quickly accomplished by my dh while I was laboring.

In general, I would say, be sure to do anything that helps make you feel more comfortable about the process, but also do not freak out if you go into labor and all the things you thought you needed to do aren't done. Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 29 Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 AM

Thanks for the link to the article. I've been beginning to think about this topic. Lots of decluttering going on here...

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#8 of 29 Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 AM

I'd affirm early preparation. We were suddenly surprised to find that DS might come on the first possible day it was OK to birth at home and did a lot of rushing (and then waited for 4 more weeks, when he finally came on his due date).

One thing I was thankful for was that I had an old feather mattress I was about to throw out because I'd gotten a new one. I HATE synthetic bedding anyway because of the temperature, and I have sensitivities to chemicals in plastics. So Dad prepped the bed with the plastic sheeting, but we were also ready with the feather mattress, that we felt OK about getting bloody then throwing out. It also could have been rolled up in all different shapes and forms, or put on the floor, or whatever.

So I'd suggest being creative about just which bedding you don't mind staining, and trying to find natural fibers.
#9 of 29 Old 07-01-2010, 07:51 AM

Also ... I wanted rubber ducks so we could be silly with the tub!

We didn't get ducks, but Dad put "pirate treasure" on the bottom of the tub. I admit it was a nice distraction to push the coins around on the bottom during labor.
#10 of 29 Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydieBugs View Post
We didn't get ducks, but Dad put "pirate treasure" on the bottom of the tub. I admit it was a nice distraction to push the coins around on the bottom during labor.
That's HILARIOUS!!! I'm so doing that... LOL
#11 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:

That is fantastic! Would have been fun!

'09   
#12 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 04:32 PM

One of the things I found to be most important as far as preparation went for my first homebirth was my Mother Blessing ceremony ... a time for me to center myself and concentrate on my baby and the upcoming birth. A part of that ceremony was releasing all fears associated not only with the birth, but with life with our newest baby. The mental and emotional preparation were even more important than preparing my birth space.

This time around (third homebirth), I'm decluttering and reorganizing the ENTIRE house. We're adding child #6 to the family (and are homeschoolers), so I need to have everything set so that life after birth goes smoothly. We're painting the dining room/kitchen a nice calming color (I'll most likely be birthing in a birth tub in our dining room as I have the previous 2 times) and making it more open by removing bigger furniture items (it's our homeschooling space as well) and replacing them with taller shelves that don't come out into the room as much.
I'll make up postpartum (frozen, soothing) pads ahead of time, will triple or quadruple make my bed like I did last time (waterproof mattress pad, bottom sheet, chux pads, bottom sheet, chux pads, bottom sheet, chux pads, bottom sheet...that way I can just take a layer off every time I need a change of sheets and not have to "make" the bed again for a while ), freeze some meals (although my friends will be bringing babymoon meals daily ), and make sure to set up the birth pool at around 39 weeks, even though I tend to go "late." I LOVE "testing" out the birth pool after a long day of child-wrangling . We put it in our bedroom during the day and in the dining room at night, so it's ready to go when I go into labor. My last labor was 4 hours long, so we want to be prepared!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#13 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Tubby toys! Brilliant! Hadn't even thought of that!
#14 of 29 Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 AM

Thanks for article. I'm printing it and handing it to DH.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#15 of 29 Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 PM

My hope is our house will be BUILT in time
We are building a cob home and should be in by mid November .. This is baby number 5 but our first (hopefully) homebirth! Baby will arrive December just hope the home is ready, what an awesome way to bless our new home we are building as a family

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#16 of 29 Old 07-31-2010, 06:10 PM

Great post and article. I printed it and added to my HB file.

We are taking some of the advice here and decluttering. We are working on all areas of the house and in particular our garage. We are turning an area of it into a playroom for our girls.

Janine, wife to Mark, mom to Ashlyn (11), Julianna (9), Andrew (3)
#17 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmom View Post
My hope is our house will be BUILT in time
We are building a cob home and should be in by mid November .. This is baby number 5 but our first (hopefully) homebirth! Baby will arrive December just hope the home is ready, what an awesome way to bless our new home we are building as a family
Also hoping we have a home built in time. Not knowing (for sure) where I'll even be to give birth is not so much fun! I am definitely hoping that our new baby will come in our new home! Quite a wonderful way to "christen" it, if you will.

Keeping things orderly is something we'll be desperately working on all the way up until labor. Last pregnancy, I had major issues with energy level and couldn't get things done. It was awful to be in early labor and trying to get things clean enough that people who would be bringing us meals could come in! Thankfully my MW was awesome. She even helped! With our impending move, we've decluttered a TON, so we're well on our way to being ready. Of course, now we'll move and be in a sea of boxes when baby comes.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#18 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 AM

Is it crazy to plan on birthing in our extra/school room?
We have a futon in there and with the desk/chairs pushed in there is room for the pool. We have a table, built in book cases a great view, the futon and 1 desk in there. I could even move the desk to make more room and the table is a folding on that fits under the futon when we have company. It is a bedroom that we converted so they could be away from the main noise of the house to work but still it is on the 1st floor. it is also right next to the bathroom.

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11
#19 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think any room you feel comfortable in is a good one. I remember my half-brother's "birth room" was an extra bedroom in their house. And they had a big bedroom, too, so I'm not sure why they chose that, but, hey, do what makes you comfortable!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#20 of 29 Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 PM

Bendy straws! The number one thing I wouldn't want to birth without. It's so nice having someone hold up a drink for you and you not have to work or think to drink. Everyone eles' advice about getting organized is a must too. The last thing YOU want to do it think during your labour. (Where are the towels....where are the sheets....where are the bendy straws ) Have everything labeled so someone else can find them.

Happy Birthing
#21 of 29 Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 PM

The link in the first post really helped me a lot. This baby #6 and homebirth #5 for us and this is the first time I feel really prepared. I've always left things for the last minute in the past and have hated that. Especially with a growing family, I wanted to feel more prepared and not leave things so chaotic. I will be taking 2 weeks bed rest (as best as possible) after the baby is born, so a bit of preparation is important. I'm 37 weeks and here are a few things I've done and still need to do: (I post this for myself as a checklist, but also to share ideas if you want them too)

Done:
-Did some mental preparation for labor by watching some home water birth videos, reading parts of Birthing from Within, praying and asking God for strength during labor and for a smooth delivery of a healthy baby, and giving myself a little "speech" I can tell myself during labor: " I CAN do it, I WILL do it, I AM doing it" and then looking forward to saying, "I DID it!"
-Finally bought a co-sleeper! This is child #6, I wish I would have done it before!
-Collected all necessary birthing supplies (pool, liner, chux, towels, trash bags, etc..)
-Made a basket with the first items necessary for the baby (clothes, diapers, etc..)
-Have a basket in the fridge and in the pantry with items I can drink and snack on during birth and labor (In the fridge: Cheese sticks, yogurt, etc. In the pantry: Protein Bars, Smart water, trail mix, Boxed soups, etc..), plus my lavender essential oil and organza bag of loose lavender buds to help me during labor!
-Have a basket with peri squirt bottle, cotton pads, and Depends for post partum.
-Have my "laboring outfit" hanging and ready, which is just a wrap around towel cover with straps and velcro.
-Have my post partum cotton nursing gowns ready and hanging.
-Made a "Post-Partum" basket for myself. I lined a pretty box with tissue paper and filled it with Mothers Milk tea, Sitz bath and muslin bags, a bag of yummy Sundrops, a box of thank you cards and a pen, lanolin, and a Catholic mothering book called Grace Cafe. It was fun doing this as a little post-partum gift to myself.
-Wrapped a little gift of tea, chocolate, and bath salts for my midwife, and a little gift of chocolate for her apprentice, each with a Thank you note ready to be filled out.
-Bought ingredients and disposable baking pans for making 3 meals to freeze.
-Have a box with organic instant oatmeal containers as a quick breakfast for everyone at home at the time of birth. Have a basket with bagels, english muffins, and cream cheese in the fridge for this purpose as well.
-Went over to a my comadre's house to learn about cloth diapering.
-Scrubbed and cleaned the fridge and put everything in containers and baskets. Have you figured out that I am a container/basket freak?!
-Have done a lot of decluttering in the home.

Still Need to Do:
-Still more decluttering! It is said Mary and Joseph lived simply and we try to strive for that as well. It is so much more peaceful that way, and I beleive we can just enjoy life and the children more without worrying so much about STUFF! This is an ongoing task in our lives!
-Make and freeze the three meals I have ingredients for.
-Set up the home school classroom so the children can know follow the idea of "a place for everything, and everything in its place", even while I'm on bedrest. Set up a guide for some work they can do during this time as well.
-Mop the house, set up the laundry room with labels and baskets for everyone so as to make my bedrest time easier on everyone, clean the freezer.
-Hopefully my husband will be done remodeling our main bathroom by the time baby is here! It's hard just having one available toilet with a family of 7 going on 8!

There are lots of other little things I'd love to get done, but alas, I am very satisfied having gotten all of the things above done, with not too much more I feel is necessary to do. In the end, the baby will come wether the freezer is cleaned and I will just say, "The heck with it!". We are blessed to have a new life joining us, and I will try to enjoy every minute of my new baby's presence within our family. It all goes by too quick to worry about other details

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#22 of 29 Old 08-11-2010, 01:08 AM

I heartily agree with decluttering and getting organized!

I labeled my kitchen: post-it notes on cupboards for glasses, plates, etc. so that the midwife, the lady caring for my son, and others (*ahem* my husband...) could easily find things without having to ask.

I put everything I thought we'd need for the birth and the next few days in totes, clearly labeled. One tote for birthing supplies, one for clothes after the birth (mine and baby's), one for afterwards. I made sure to have a notebook for recording the birth story at my leisure, and thank-you notes and stamps so I could easily write notes for gifts received.

We also had a small gift from the baby to her brother, all wrapped and ready to go. I stuck it in the after-birth tote.

I felt much better having a hospital contingency plan, plus a general care guide for my son (he's a persnickety little thing!). And of course, the usual list of phone numbers to call once Baby arrives. Since my husband is very mainstream in what he eats, it was helpful to have menus for restaurants that deliver or do take-out handy (next time, I'll even have gift cards purchased in advance so I won't have to worry about balancing the checkbook the first few days with Baby!)

We used Contraction Master online for timing contractions - very easy and didn't have to think about it!

I get so very sick pregnant, and with my pregnancy last year, I had all I could to do care for a toddler, let alone housework! But I would tackle one task at a time (and I mean one: now it's time to clean the bathroom sink. Okay, rest. Now it's time to read a library book to DS. Okay, rest. etc).

Because I went about two and a half weeks early the first time, I was told to have everything ready by 35 weeks. Good thing too! At 35 weeks I was already dilated to 4 and 80% effaced, and baby felt like she was just going to fall out of me. It's REALLY hard to get ready for a homebirth when you're on bed rest! She made it to 38 weeks though, but it was so much less stressful having everything ready.

Since my husband has allergies and doesn't mow the lawn, I'll arrange to have a neighbor do it next time (it's one of those things I didn't think about since we were in an apartment for our son's birth).

Hope that gives a few ideas for those trying to be prepared! In all honesty, things went really smoothly. It was kind of weird - the birth went quickly, and then life just flowed into a new normal. The first few weeks were a MUCH smoother transition than it was with our first - and I'd also been told that going from one to two would be harder! So glad we had a homebirth; it was a much better beginning than our hospital experience.
#23 of 29 Old 12-25-2010, 02:12 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post

As soon as I saw those double lines, I've been wondering this, myself! I will start forcing myself to "nest" and I am not even really that far along. I look around at my house now and get stressed out just thinking about it!

My plan is to totally get rid of all the clutter everywhere so I won't be stressing about that, and for the last month or so, really making sure I keep the areas where I might want to birth (bed, bathroom/shower for laboring, and kitchen floor) fairly clean.

yeahthat.gif

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#24 of 29 Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 AM

This post is helpful. I'm 34 weeks and just signed up for my home birth. I'm so excited, but have so much to do in my house before then. I really needed this post to let me know all the things i need to get ready before my birth. Thanks.

#25 of 29 Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Birth where you want.  We cleaned out the breakfast nook in our kitchen and laid down a tarp.  Set up a pool.  Our LR sofa is a futon, so put that down to be the "landing site" bed.  We really enjoyed having our baby in the kitchen.  Easy access to food... :D  Hooked up to the laundry room sink.  Really easy.

#26 of 29 Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 PM

We are also planning to have our baby in the kitchen. We are planning our second HB Waterbirth. Our house is ranch style so if we need to go to the bedroom/living room or anything else we totally can easily.

I really can't picture birthing on the bed. I am thinking of figuring out a comfortable back up plan if we for some strange reason can't be in the water. FOr example, my SIL was having a lot of bleeding during her HB so she had to get out of the water so the midwife could assess how much she was bleeding and why etc... that couldn't be done easily in the water. She ended up have the baby on the kitchen floor on top of a make-shift bed of towels. We have an air mattress that might be a good back up plan. If that got ruined then we waste the 30 bucks it cost, much better than the bed thing.

Yeah the water just has to work because that is all I can wrap my mind around. LOL.

As far as getting all ready my main thing has been stocking freezer food and decluttering. My birthday is coming up and I think we are buying a new desk with storage because that mail/computer area of the house is constantly a wreck. Its something that's been on our wishlist for a while.

Homeschooling mama to 3 Italian babies. homeschool.gif  Due with #4 on Sept. 28! Planning a rockin' Homebirth. homebirth.jpg

#27 of 29 Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM

What would y'all suggest if you live in a two story home? Our bedroom is kinda small and I am not sure it is my first choice because I don't want to feel cooped up, but the only showers are upstairs and it would be easier to have convenient access to that. I guess I could always get my hubby to carry me up the stairs :) hehe

#28 of 29 Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Our home was a two story at the time, cottage style with a large loft bedroom upstairs, living and bathroom downstairs.  We set up the upstairs bed as well as a futon downstairs with the tub in our bathroom.  I had no idea where I wanted to be... options are really nice. 

'09   
#29 of 29 Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 AM

good post. I'm definitely in the uh oh, time to get ready stage since i"m 37 weeks now. are there any more helpful hints from mamas who got ready then delivered and discovered there were some things you wished you'd done, or didn't spend time on?

Also, does anyone have a good list of things to do that I can cheat off of for hubby on the day of? i was thinking I should have a list for the day of for hubby to do so I dont have to think of it all

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page