Homebirth - Setting an Environment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doula wants me to start thinking about what kind of environment I want for my homebirth. I don't know where to start! Music? Candles? Aromatherapy? Obviously, I want a zen, calming, relaxing environment. But I am not the best decorator and I can't get the ideas flowing.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Can you recommend any spa-like CDs?
#2 of 10 Old 06-25-2010, 11:31 PM

I have to start thinking about this too. I'm not the best decorator either, but I do hope to have one room or area that is cleared out of most of the "daily life" clutter and is calm and relaxing for the birth.

Based on my previous 2 labors (one hospital, one birth center), I think:
-dimmed lights (or as dark as it can get if it is during the day)
-silence (for me, personally....I don't have music that is especially meaningful to me and relaxing)
-birthing tub/water and therapy ball available for use as needed

I feel aromatherapy or even candles could be risky- what if the smell makes you sick/nauseous instead of relaxed? I'd LOVE to hear others' experiences in that area...

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#3 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 AM

I have some spa type music which I love, as it reminds me of my massage therapist's appts. As soon as I walk into her office and hear the music I begin to relax. So I got some similar music to play during my labour.

I also got a beeswax and a nicely scented large candle to have lit, depending what I want for scents at the time. I do have an unscented one as well just in case.

We have a dimmer switch in the room where I'll be labouring, so we can keep the candlelight as a main light source unless we need otherwise.

I do have a birthing ball and a birthing tub set up in there. I don't really consider that part of the atmosphere though I guess.
#4 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 PM

I am going to try to do the zen thing too. I got unscented candles and I got a oil diffuser that has a very small bowl for the oil so if it bugs me I will get rid of it. I also have a few art pieces and sculptures that make me feel empowered like a small statue of a pregnant woman etc. My midwife told me to get some old towels and sheets for the birth, but I decided to buy some new pretty ones because I figured even if they all get thrown away this is a special event we all deserve nice things not my old ratty towels.
#5 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 PM

I just wanted my husband to clear the stairs and make sure the dishes were done. Once I was in active labor and pushing I just needed to feel safe. I wouldn't have cared about candles, music, etc. But then, I'm not a decorator and one of the big benefits to co-sleeping for me was that I wouldn't need to worry about getting a nursery ready
#6 of 10 Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 AM

I haven't done this yet either, but there is a certain beauty just in the fact that you're at home. Hopefully the fact that it's home will bring a certain calmness as well. I mean, I hope to keep the room relatively clutter-free and clean, but I don't want to make anything look too different than it would normally. I want it to look like the same room I go to bed in each night.

I did use scented candles during my previous labors at birth centers. I wouldn't pick anything with a strong smell, but a nice clean scent or one that you find comforting seems like it would work. The nice part about the scents is that I associate them with the births now. So, my daughter's birth is pumpkin spice (November), and my son's is clean linen. For this one, since it's August, I'm thinking a beachy smell, but if thats too much I may revert back and use the linen or soapy scents again.
#7 of 10 Old 06-27-2010, 03:16 PM

I just want my bedroom de-cluttered, and I think I've done that 3x in the past week alone, but my DD comes in with dolls/books and there it goes!

We got a new bed and I'm excited to labor/birth/lounge in it. Big soft comforter, pillows and clean fresh sheets for the birth are important. I also have our lights installed with a dimmer, and the fan on because it's summer and I'm a sweaty beast - the fan makes the comfortable whirling sound and I love it.

I have a few candles - peach and lavender to light if I feel like it.

Clean space on the floor to labor, and my birth ball within reach.

And I hung up a sign that says "Just Breath"

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#8 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
All music, candles, etc. were/are totally superfluous and annoying. I wanted even, medium lighting (lamps), silence, and space to move. And that was it.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#9 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

For my birth last year I declutted, brought up a lamp in case I labored through the night, and set up a playlist on our computer. I wouldn't go for spa music, or anything I wasn't farmiliar with. When I was laboring it helped me to have music that I was very farmiliar and in love with, mostly Radiohead but some other songs thrown in there. That was the only way I would be able to focus on the music. If it was something I didn't know really well it would have faded into the background and not helped me.
I also read Ina May Gaskins' Guide to Natural Childbirth, which really helped me, in a large part because it talked about the way many women labor comfortably, in our society, and in the cultures throughout history.
I ended up hanging a rope from the ceiling so I could use it as leverage to help me push (didn't end up needed it though).

Oh, and my nesting included painting most of the rooms in our house. I think that helped a lot, since at the time we were living with my FIL and I was not really comfortable in that house.
#10 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM

It is nice to think about all of this, and I'm sure some people find that their choosen environment really helps them....but in all honesty I didn't care one bit about having music or special lighting or anything like that. I holed up in our bathtub for 12 hours and stared out the window.

You probably won't care too much about the decorating once you're in labor land.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page