pregnant and overweight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2002, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I went to my midwife for the first time today, she is with an HMO(I know my first mistake), I am planning on a homebirth, but felt the need to see someone, probably because I had a miscarriage three months ago. Anyway, I went through the entire appointment(I was there for 2&1/2 hours-mostly waiting), and at the end she tells me she will have to turn me over to an ob because of my weight(I am a lot overweight). I have had two healthy pregnancies and births, and this is the weird part...when I asked what problems they were worried about she said I would have extra fat in my birth canal and could have trouble pushing the baby out. okay I pushed out 2 babies as a very big gal, with no problems. So I guess I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this? And please tell me the birth canal thing is a joke...I mean fat is squishy, right?

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2002, 05:08 AM

Hi! I honestly can say that I know of many midwives who have worked with obese ladies and have never made any mention of a "fatty" birth canal... I would find another midwife to interview, one who does not have this bias. I also know several midwives who are "heavy set", and I shudder to think what would happen to anyone who dared imply that they were not able to birth well and safely... A good midwife looks at overall health of a lady, and not just accummulated fat. It is possible to be fit and healthy and still have fat. She will look at your blood pressure, and your eating preferences, your attitude, and energy level, and your confidence level. Based on those things- and probably a few others within her particular protocols- she will then come to a conclusion as to the safety levels. She will also be able to give you less lame reasons for concern... :

Definitely second opinion time...

The Lord bless you!
Zoie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Godsbabycatchers
Old 05-07-2002, 09:18 PM

From what I understood the main concern about carriny too much extra weight in pregnancy is the the fatty tissue produses more estragine that can mcause problems. Even given that, if your body has proven thaty it is not a problem in the past and your weight hasn't changed signifantly, whats the problem? I'd defiently look at other midwives!

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
Old 05-15-2002, 10:31 PM

First of all, that is riduculous! I am a size 22 pre-PG and have birhted beautifully with my dd and a midwife. the only thing I was ever told by the mw was that they look extra close at the GTT results becuse of the risk in overweight women for GD. THat makes sense! But hte fat thing - wrong - Fat does not produce estrogen, estrogen is a fat storing hormone (DH teaches A&P and CHemistry and has a masters in Biology - I thinkhe would know something like that!) anyhow, lok for another midwife... Godd Luck!
Old 05-16-2002, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! I thought it was kind of a dumb reason to have to see an ob. I can see maybe if there were reasons like hb or gd, something, but I have never had any of those problems before. The good news is I think I found a homebirth midwife that will deliver me!!!
I am going to call her again on Monday to set up an appt. She said she can help me with my nutrition issues too...I'm very excited!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 05-16-2002, 01:56 AM

Good for you! Glad things look like they are working out for you!
Old 05-16-2002, 01:30 PM

I was going to say that *this* fat mama birthed a 10 pound 9 ounce baby without breaking a sweat, and #2 was attended by a midwife for a homebirth and weight was never mentioned.

User Tag List