What to use for birthing tub - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to rent one of the aquadoula tubs from my midwife, but have read on a lot of posts here that many have just used blow up pools from Target. Is that true? How do you keep the water warm in those pools? (i'm not sure our hot water heater even has enough water to fill one...and I don't really want my dh having to boil water to add to the tub to keep it warm while i'm in active labor ) I figured the point of renting the actual birthing tub was that it kept the water at a general warm temperature for the duration of your labor... but if i could save some money by using a plastic pool, I would!
Tell me what you used for a birthing tub....and how it worked out for you.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#2 of 6 Old 06-30-2010, 11:54 AM

I don't know firsthand, but from what I have read is that you can put plastic and a quilt over the top of it when you are not in it and until you get ready to get in after you fill it up, it stays pretty warm that way.

I bought two pools (one for me, one for the kids so i could see it before the birth). I bought the one referred to as the "star pool. It is not quite round, has three tubes to air up so that if one of the3 tubes has a mishap the whole thing doesn't go down. It is also 3 inched deeper than the "fishy" pool. I can sit my big preggo butt on the sides also.

http://www.amazon.com/Swim-Center-Oc...pr_product_top

Hey another nice thing about that pool. I let the kids use the second one this weekend and hubbie didn't get the valve in the bottom ring of the pool closed well enough. Oops.

But it was a good thing to see. The bottom ring deflated because the valve opened, he didn't push the valve in right. But anyways. No water loss and it was still sturdy on the sides. Disaster averted. That is reassuring after reading some of the leaky water horror stories.
#3 of 6 Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM

We used the fishy pool from yourwaterbirth.com. DH started filling it when I was at 6cm. It was another 6 hours until DS was born, so DH and the student MWs had to put a few rounds of boiling water in to keep it warm.

Really, it's not that big of a deal. The amount of time it takes to fill a pot with water, then dump it in to the pool when it's boiling is insignificant to the amount of relief and pleasure a waterbirth brings. It's awesome!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#4 of 6 Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 AM

How do you get them full? How do you empty them? It seems like a lot of money!

Expecting our bundle of joy 9.9.10
#5 of 6 Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 AM

Our midwife owns and loans out one of these: http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/1...htm?click=1014. Most feed and farm stores can order :-)

You laugh ... and no it's not an elegant solution ... but I loved it. The ridges are perfect for bracing hands and feet in all different places, and the slope is great for laying against. I was really happy we didn't have to worry about inflating it, or puncturing it. It fits through doors well.

We just had someone who kept big pots of water boiling, and they'd come scoot me to one end of the tub and dump the hot water in the other end, then dip a potful of the old water out and repeat. But the tub could have accepted various heat devices.
#6 of 6 Old 07-01-2010, 12:58 PM

I used a fishy pool (Intex aquarium, bought on amazon, I believe). We had a smallish water heater, but we turned the temp up a week or so beforehand, as is recommended. It didn't take long to fill the pool, or empty it (just siphoned it out with the same hose, into the yard.) We just boiled water on the stove and in the kettle, and added when necessary.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page