mattress protection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-01-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For my last homebirth I did 2 cheapie sheets and a plastic mattress covering; however, I hated how the plastic sounded and felt even with sheets over it.

What do you use?

also, anyone know where to find cheap queen size sheets with extra deep corners?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM

You can get a mattress pad that is waterproof (but not vinyl and yucky) for a bit more money at someplace like Target. I also dislike the vinyl very much - I use it only for labor/birth and then strip that layer off and my nicer sheets and mattress pad are underneath.
#3 of 9 Old 07-01-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to stop by there tonight! thanks! I've read recommendations for painter drop cloths and tarps and all that, but they all seem like they would be just as uncomfortable....but maybe the painter cloth might work pinned around? seems like a lot of work though.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#4 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 AM

I brought out a feather mattress that was worn out enough I was about to throw it away anyway. We put plastic on the bed, then the bloody-able sheets, then the mattress so I'd be really comfortable and we could just toss it after.

I'm so much more comfortable with natural fibers, in the future I'd probably make that my one wasteful thing and do it again even if the mattress were new (they sell at Costco for $40, or on Overstock.com - but feather with cotton is crucial).

And for us it turned out that the blood washed out of everything anyway.
#5 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
I am going to stop by there tonight! thanks! I've read recommendations for painter drop cloths and tarps and all that, but they all seem like they would be just as uncomfortable....but maybe the painter cloth might work pinned around? seems like a lot of work though.

I was originally planning on using painter drop cloth on the bed, but I instead bought a $7 waterproof mattress cover from Cascade Healthcare Products since a waterbirth isn't an option for us and I will probably be using the bed off and on.

How to Make a Birth Bed using either plastic painter's drop cloth or shower curtain

"Take your bedspread/comforter and blankets off the bed. You really do want to keep the bedding as simple as possible. Sheets and easily washable blankets only!

Get an inexpensive plastic painter's drop cloth (clear and very thin) from a home improvement store. Some choose shower curtain liners, but I find them far too thick. The drop cloth is so thin, yet protects so much more (is longer and wider).

Put a set (fitted and top sheet) of sheets on the bed - a typical set that you would have on your bed for every day use. Over that set of sheets, lay down the plastic painter's drop cloth. On top of the plastic drop cloth, put a set of old sheets you don't mind getting messy. (Some clients even choose to throw this set away after the birth; most wash them.)

Use about 10-12 safety pins and pin the entire bunch of sheets and plastic to the mattress, putting a pin every 4-6 inches around the mattress. Don't use pins if you have a water bed or an electric bed! Sometimes it's easier to put the pins around the "coiled" part of the mattress instead of the flatter side parts of the mattress. The pins are absolutely necessary because they keep the whole shebang from slip sliding all over the place should you climb all over the bed during labor or afterwards. Sheets on plastic is slippery.
Your bed is now made. Isn't it lovely?"

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#6 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM

This how my clients make their beds and we have never had a problem.

To make the bed: Make bed with normal sheets. Cover with the shower curtain, carefully tucking in at the head and side of the bed. Over the plastic curtain put an old, clean set of sheets, and maybe a light, washable blanket. Make bed in early labor.

Allison, mom to 3, midwife,
#7 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin&bean View Post
This how my clients make their beds and we have never had a problem.

To make the bed: Make bed with normal sheets. Cover with the shower curtain, carefully tucking in at the head and side of the bed. Over the plastic curtain put an old, clean set of sheets, and maybe a light, washable blanket. Make bed in early labor.
That's what we did. Luckily, my contractions started Monday night and DD2 wasn't born until Wednesday morning, so we had plenty of time to make the bed.

We also had a proper mattress bag on the futon (where I thought I'd labor) under a set of sheets. I much preferred the shower curtain. It was less noisy, and even seemed to stay in place better than the mattress bag did on the futon.

After the birth, I slid some chux pads under the sheets on my side of the bed. They didn't feel or sound plasticy at all.

For cheap sheets, I've always lucked out finding them at K-Mart in the clearance bins. I don't think I've ever paid more than $10 a set there. My mattresses aren't too deep, but the sheets do seem to have some depth to spare.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#8 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 PM

I don't have any advice on the mattress since I haven't given birth yet, but we found cheap sheets at the local thrift store - we ended up getting King size because that's what they had, but they were only $3, and I won't feel guilty at all if I decide to just pitch them afterwards (which I probably will). They sold pillowcases for $1 each, too, so we bought a bunch to help protect our pillows - we're going to double or triple case them in case I get blood on our nice feather pillows.
#9 of 9 Old 07-03-2010, 01:29 AM

I got a super thin plastic paint drop cloth from Home Depot. It was only like 1 mil, and wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the thick waterproof bed covers. I definitely needed it, too, since my PPH soaked the top layer. It made it so easy to have a clean set of sheets underneath.

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page