Homebirth suggestions for Illinois residents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in my fourth and month wish to have a "home" birth (even if it isn't in my actual home, just not a hospital only except in the case where that makes medical sense). I do not want to travel over 1 hour to Indiana from my home in Illinois, but if absolutely necessary I will do. Anyone in Illinois have suggestions for me to satisfy my requirements?

Best,
Susan
#2 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 PM

I'm not sure where you are in Illinois, but I've heard some good things about HomeFirst in the Chicago area. They're a group of MDs that do homebirths.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#3 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 PM

I live in Illinois and am having a homebirth in October. I have found that options are a little limited here depending on how you want to do it. The CPM's and CNM's can't/won' do homebirths. There a number of "lay midwives" that do though. They are out there. They just kinda stay under the radar.
#4 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 AM

I had planned to have a HB in Illinois. The CNM that I found does HB and will travel (depending on how far you are) I ended up not moving there (last min change of plans).
I believe that she is based out of Peoria. Brande Ruskusky and her # is 309-258-3216.

Here is another one that I was told about but don't know anything about..
Bernice's # is: (815) 894-2507

I can't find their email addresses anymore.. must have deleted them.. but there are options.. good luck.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#5 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Where are you at? I also have an IL mw. I wish IL would get in gear and finally legalize midwifery!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#6 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Yeah. I wish Illinois would get it together and "legalize" homebirth attendance. The midwife part wasn't the hard part. Stuff like getting a sonogram was what I found to be a pain. I actually had to leave the state to go and get a sonogram. That is nutso.
#7 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Yes, knowing more about where you are will help those of us who know IL mws to help you find one. Can you give a general area/county/major town nearby?
#8 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 09:04 PM

Go ask in the Finding Your Tribe area of MDC. Also, www.birthlink.com is a good resource and lists homebirth providers (legal ones, anyway), at least in the Chicago area and beyond. It differs depending on whether you're within a couple hours of Chicago or not.
#9 of 12 Old 07-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiana View Post
I had planned to have a HB in Illinois. The CNM that I found does HB and will travel (depending on how far you are) I ended up not moving there (last min change of plans).
I believe that she is based out of Peoria. Brande Ruskusky and her # is 309-258-3216.

Here is another one that I was told about but don't know anything about..
Bernice's # is: (815) 894-2507

I can't find their email addresses anymore.. must have deleted them.. but there are options.. good luck.
ditto this info!!!!

Brande is actually my MW and her supervising OB is Dr. Kendrid. Bernice is also under the same OB, except since Brande got her CNM license, Bernice stop taking clients in the Peoria area. I believe she drives from Peru.

I also have BCBS FEP which is covering my home birth with Brande.

If you are in my area, pm me and maybe I can give you more details if you are interested!!

CDing, BWing, Non-vaxer, Bedsharing SAHM to JC (born 01/01/09 and place in our arms the same day) Married to Prince Charming Dr. B (Mad Scientist at the USDA) and finally EDD 08/24/10
#10 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 PM

HI. if you are in chicago, I can recommend my Midwife, at A Woman's Place...she is amazing, and delivered my DD 3 yrs ago, and I look forward to another homebirth with her this fall.
#11 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 01:17 PM

If you're in the Chicago area/suburbs, there's Hilary Kieser at Gentle Birth Care (http://www.gentlebirthcare.com), A Women's Place (http://awomansplacechicago.com/index.html), and Sarah Simmons, and here's a link to the Birthlink listings for homebirth CNMs: http://www.birthlink.com/directory/homebirth.html

Attended homebirth is legal in Illinois with CNMs and OBs. I read on another thread here that Homefirst has (temporarily?) closed its offices, and I'm not sure if there are other doctors still attending homebirths. But there are CNMs and, as others have pointed out, CPMs and lay midwives under the radar in IL. LLL meetings and yoga studios are good resources for finding those if you're interested, as well as the IL tribal area. We just had a homebirth with Hilary in May and it was an awesome experience. Good luck!

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#12 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post
I'm not sure where you are in Illinois, but I've heard some good things about HomeFirst in the Chicago area. They're a group of MDs that do homebirths.
Homefirst no longer does home births.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page