2.5 hours from midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finding a midwife where I live is HARD, but I found one today that is willing to deliver and I liked her after talking to her on the phone. The only problem is that she is 2.5 hours away. She said with my history of longer labors, that she feels comfortable with the drive. Would you? Is that too far?

The only other problem is finding a place to do prenatal visits. She is willing to meet me halfway, but I don't know anyone in the towns she mentioned, so there isn't anywhere to do the actual check-ups. She said that if all else fails, she knows some Amish in some of the towns that would be willing to let us use their homes. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I don't really know that I have other options besides driving 2.5 hours.

Anyone have any advice? Should I keep looking?

Mother to two boys - DS1 (8/07) and DS2 (1/09).
Pregnant with #3 - due March 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would interview her and then also ask her if she knows anyone who is actually any closer to you. I mean, if you absolutely cannot find anyone closer, I think 2.5 hours can be do-able. It would be wise to have lots of back up plans for what to do if she can't get to you on time, who you might see for prenatals if something is up and you can't make the drive to her or she can't make it to you, etc. I have driven that far during my apprenticeship and all was fine and the only birth I have missed in my own practice was the birth that was 10 minutes down the road.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 6 Old 07-07-2010, 12:17 AM

If that were my option so I could have a home birth, then I would do it. I think meeting halfway is good. And doing the check-ups in someone's home would be fine for me. I go to a midwifery office for my check-ups (and have previously gone to my midwife's home). Ultimately, a building is just a building after all. You're still getting that personal midwifery care. What is it that you're concerned about with being in someone's home for the check-ups? I suppose you could rent a motel room for a few hours if your budget permits.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to have a midwife 2.5 hours away because my labors are fast. But if you have a history of long labors and you feel OK with it, then go for it. You can always keep looking while you're in her care and see if you find someone closer. How far along are you?

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#4 of 6 Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM

My MW is 3 hours away but I have a back-up closer to me that can help with pre-natals, to be here in case I am progressing faster in labor, or if she is at another birth. But I have been driving to her home my whole pregnancy now I am going weekly! It is getting pretty tough. If that is who you like and feel comfortable, go with her!
#5 of 6 Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 PM

My MW is 1 hour away BUT I also have a potential for a fast labor (last baby was 3 hours between starting to question if I was really in labor or just BH... and actually holding her) so 2.5 would be way too far for me.

HOWEVER... if it were my first or I have a history of longer labors (Id say 6 hours or longer for a 2.5 hour away midwife) then I would do it.

This is, of course, even knowing that my last one was 3 hours between deciding to go to the hospital and holding my baby... but that my first one was 21 hours.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 6 Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM

My MW was 2.5hrs away for my last baby born in Nov. I didn't start with her until about 28-30wks. We met the first time in person at a park halfway just to talk etc. We decided for me to continue to see the CNM (hospital only) that I had been seeing for most of my prenatals. I saw the HB midwife again, in my house around 33 wks for a prenatal then around 36/37 weeks at another of her patients home that was halfway. A bit akward imo, but fine. Then during labor 3 days before my edd.
We kept in touch via email and she got copies of all the records from each of my visits. Luckily the CNM was totally on board. Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page