does anyone else get called a hippy because of their choice to homebirth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Erika, I do that, too. I think it helps set things up so that I'm saying, I love the choices I'm making, I'm happy with not fitting in, and nothing you say can hurt me! But I almost always get positive reactions. I also say this when chatting with my teen students, b/c I want to be honest and expose them to all the choices out there, just a bit, but not try to lecture them about it all. They are the ones that always say that it's cool and they love hippes But I have cool students.
#32 of 51 Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMama View Post
I'm not often called a "hippie", but "crunchy". I can't bear being called crunchy. It crawls right under my skin. It's generally by well-meaning people, though. I gratefully haven't received negativity in regards to homebirth.
When I start teasing DH about having to put up with my "hippy" ways, he corrects me and tells me I'm crunchy, not "hippy". To him "hippy" is derogatory, "crunchy" is lovable.

(OT but DH commented once that he "Felt like a hippy". I had to just look at him and laugh because we were both wearing shorts and Birkenstocks - classic "hippy wear" in his eyes - I was carrying a cloth-diaper-clad DS in a sling and we were heading to the farmers market to get some organic produce. Um, yeah, DH. We ARE hippies! )

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#33 of 51 Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM

My family calls me a hippy... but not so much b.c we're hombirthers (not sure they know lol), mostly b/c we cloth diapers/mama cloth, no vax, no circ, eat organic/natural, don't shave, etc. not sure why the no vax/circ thing makes me a hippy but whatever... I don't mind I like being different.

SAH Mama to Cooper (3-9-08) and Sawyer (9-3-10).   
#34 of 51 Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM

I don't know if it's the birks, the skirts, the bumper stickers on my van, the homebirthing, the breastfeeding, the babywearing, the ec'ing / cloth diapering, the unschooling, the buying organic and local, or what, but I'm often called "hippie" ... not that I mind.

When I get told, "You're brave!" when I mention that I homebirth, I sometimes respond with, "Actually, I'd need to be brave to enter an atmosphere with tons of potentially deadly germs and complete strangers wanting to inject me with potentially harmful substances while trying to control what should be a natural process...you know, the hospital." And when I get the "but what if ..."s, I say that if a problem should arrive that makes it medically necessary for me to go to the hospital to birth, then that's what a hospital is there for. I just don't see hospitals as the safest environment in which to have a normal, natural birth.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#35 of 51 Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Hippies R awesome. I'll take it.
#36 of 51 Old 07-29-2010, 12:00 AM

Many of my acquaintances think that my desire to avoid "wonders of modern medicine", portrays me as non-progressive, even somewhat limited person.
Some of them just thought that I'm brave or so...
#37 of 51 Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 AM

I had to laugh as I read these! My sister is a real estate agent and she was at a listing appointment. When she was touring the couples DD's room she saw cloth diapers. She then asked 'Do you know my sister Niki?' The women, who was in our playgroup, called crunchy natural mommas, said 'Oh you mean Hippy Niki!' I had to laugh then too. I have been called much worse and while for once in my life it would be nice not to have to explain every single decision I make, I like it. I go against the grain, but as my family has grown, both in age and in number, I just see it as a chance to educate! Of course people usually only want to talk to me at the grocery store when my baby is nursing loudly in the wrap, my toddler is pulling my daughters hair because he loves hair, and my older kids are drooling and asking why they never get 'normal' food or cereal for breakfast!! I can only say this, the more positive your attitude the less they can say to break you down. I wear skirts, I birth at home, I carry my babies(and toddlers, and some times big kids too), I bake bread(so does my artisan baker DH), I wear sandals(or barefoot), I compost, I garden, I knit socks, I use cloth diapers and napkins, I stay home and educate my kids myself, I love my husband, my earth and my God, and you know what I even tie-dye!! I even have owned a big ole' van that we were going to paint, we have made cob walls and earth ovens and we love almost every minute of it! I would rather have people call me crunchy or hippy, than the one I got when I was at a coffee shop with a friend after my 5th baby was born. When asking how old she was and admiring her, the women asked if she was my first, I replied no I have 4 more at home with daddy! She actually said 'My aren't you a baby factory!' Is this a compliment? It was almost as bad as being called a breeder!!! Anyway be a hippy be crunchy, be any label you want or as many as you want!!!!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#38 of 51 Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings View Post
"Actually, I'd need to be brave to enter an atmosphere with tons of potentially deadly germs and complete strangers wanting to inject me with potentially harmful substances while trying to control what should be a natural process...you know, the hospital."
LOVE THAT! Going to have to remember that.
#39 of 51 Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 AM

When home birth is mentioned, I often get the brave, crazy, selfish crap too. One woman went as far as to say "you mean you had the baby at home on purpose?" Duh. Um.. Yeah, that's what a home birth is. I even had some minor risks going on that made us have to induce, but I believed in and trusted myself and my midwives. It was no "spa" experience--I just had her in a place where I was comfortable with people that I trusted and/or loved. We were very close to a transfer, but we stuck to our guns and I did what my body was made to do. I can see where the term hippy might seem annoying in a certain context, but not as annoying as crazy or selfish. But it's so dumb anyway, aren't real hippies in their 60s now? That would be a miracle if any of them were giving birth still!
You all are beautiful, responsible mamas. Enjoy your home birth!

Cookie
DD 1/20/2010
#40 of 51 Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Broke the news of my pregnancy to my Dad and Stepmom yesterday. When I mentioned a homebirth, the silence on the other end of the line said it all. Both were very[ judgemental of this option, and told me I needed to think of what was best for the baby. As though I wasn't.

However, kudos to tough, sassy old ladies! My grandma, who is the ruling matriarch of our family, told my father that she was born at home and so was her mother, and they were both just fine. My dad said that I was choosing a "less traditional" route, and that wasn't always the best, and my grandma snaps out this line-

"Two things, George. You are not a woman so I'm not sure why you're weighing in so heavily here. Second, if we're talking most of human history, the hospital is the unusual method."

God I love that woman.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#41 of 51 Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I get called a hippy for lots of reason...

I get called worse too.

Neither bother me much...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#42 of 51 Old 09-13-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
I get called a hippie for lots of things- not shaving my legs, using mama cloth, not using deodorant. (mostly from my family)

Usually when the term homebirth comes up, I get "brave" or "crazy."

I'd take hippie over crazy.
THIS.

I get mostly "wow - you're brave!"

Or the passive/aggressive "good for you, but, ha - I like my drugs!"

Wife of an Airman Mom of Hayden(01-23-06), Vincent(10-26-08), and baby#3(due 01-29-11) Student Midwife&Birth Doula
#43 of 51 Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM

I strive for the hippie title. I do not find it negative at all. Of course, my mom was one in the 70s and raised me believing it was a very very positive name.

DHs mom is what we (DH and I) lovingly refer to as a modern hippyie and I love that woman! His little brother is also hippie-ish and is awesome.

DH made a comment when I said I liked a particular scarf that it was "Very hippie-ish" when I asked if it was a bad thing he says "If I thought it were bad I would have never married you"

FWIW the definition of hippie that I use is

Quote:
someone who rejects the established culture; advocates extreme liberalism in politics and lifestyle
Id have to say that defines me pretty well. Not completely, of course... but more than anything else.

Crunchy would not define me very well though. I do not do it for the benefit of the environment (hey I'm all for that too, but its not my motivation) but because its the belief system I was basically raised with and the way I feel is best for my family.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#44 of 51 Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM

I aspire to be hippie, so I have no problem with it!

WOHM to pinecone boy (7/07) and pinecone girl (7/10)
#45 of 51 Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 PM

I got called "brave" just for using a midwife- as in "brave for taking that risk and not going with a doctor". It took a heck of a lot more bravery for me to step foot in that hospital for my 3rd baby when I had to be transfered due to high blood pressure.

When I was pg with my first but was planning a midwife hospital birth, a lady from our hs group said she thought it was the most selfish disgusting thing a woman could do and she shouldn't even be allowed to have kids! Ummm, ok, whatever, ya nut!

I was told hb was crazy, irresponsible, etc.

I've been asked "Wow...is that legal??"

Also been told that homebirth is for people who value the birth experience over the safety of their child.

"Don't be a hero"

Never been called a hippy though!

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
#46 of 51 Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 PM

I get brave a lot too. Really, there wasn't much brave about it, I was in hard core labour about 1/2 hour in, total labour was 2 hours, and I wasn't moving from my comfy spot on the bed unless there was a darn good reason. By the time the midwife arrived to check me, it would have been more risky to move me than to let me home birth.

I suspect some of my more medically minded friends think I'm nuts and took a risk, but they are genuinely happy for me that I got my home birth. But apparently, I'm Xena Warrior Princess for home birthing. Frankly, managing 3 kids is a hell of a lot more scary than birthing. lol

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#47 of 51 Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdewees View Post
THIS.

I get mostly "wow - you're brave!"

Or the passive/aggressive "good for you, but, ha - I like my drugs!"
I have gotten these alot lately as I have been talking about my findings about HB and MWs to my friends/mom/ etc.

I mentioned to one girl that if SO and I get pregnant, I am doing a HB with no VEs or AROM or anything like that, and she just point blank said "You are out of your mind, I would not wish the pain of labor on to anyone and I will tell you right now you are going to wish you were in a hospital pumped full of drugs. More power to ya, but no way in hell" I just tried to calmly tell her that its safer for me to deliver at home because I trust my body and have been through labor and child birth before and would rather do it at home where I am comfortable.

Amber~ Loving Partner to Dale, and Mommy to Kain (9-2007), and one angel baby.
#48 of 51 Old 10-13-2010, 05:32 PM

Anyone else find it ironic that the "hippie" who homebirths I'd say usually does it totally drug-free, and the hospitals are the ones handing out the drugs with the women screaming for them? Who's the hippie on drugs NOW???

"Don't get the brown IV line, man!" Hmm, wonder what the street price for epi drugs are?? Gotta fund my homebirth somehow, right?

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#49 of 51 Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

I get brave mostly from people i know really well, and I tell them they are brave for going into a hospital risking all those interventions that can lead to c-sections. Because to be honest I don't know that I could go the drug free route if I was in a hospital setting, not able to do my own thing ya know.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#50 of 51 Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Hippie I like. Brave bugs me. Nothing brave about not wanting to fight with doctor about how they treat my body. I always say going to a hospital is brave.

Homebirthing Mama to busy DD (2008), cuddly DS (2010) and midwife to be
#51 of 51 Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
Anyone else find it ironic that the "hippie" who homebirths I'd say usually does it totally drug-free, and the hospitals are the ones handing out the drugs with the women screaming for them? Who's the hippie on drugs NOW???

"Don't get the brown IV line, man!" Hmm, wonder what the street price for epi drugs are?? Gotta fund my homebirth somehow, right?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page