Medicaid doesn't cover homebirth in Texas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw my midwife a few weeks ago (just to get her to sign a paper to get my Medicaid going). Because I was only there for a few minutes and it was kind of mentioned in passing, I didn't ask her to elabourate. At any rate, my midwife said that Medicaid doesn't cover homebirth in Texas? I'm not sure what portion of it isn't covered...is it just the birth fee itself? As in, Medicaid would cover all prenatal and I could pay out of pocket for the birth? Or, if it's a homebirth, they won't cover ANY of it? I'm just kind of confused on it, and I'd rather not spend a chunk of my appointment time (first one is on Monday) going over it if I can ask here. There are positives and negatives to birthing at her center vs. birthing at home - each has it's own set of ups and downs, but it would be nice to know for sure if homebirth is out of the option with my insurance.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im in Houston and on Medicaid as well and due August 7th. Short answer to your question is no, medicaid wont cover home birth. I am paying out of pocket for the birth, but they do cover the lab tests, but thats it. So, it helps a little and if you ever need antibiotics or anything like that they pay it and they also pay for the prenatal vitamins, but not to birth at home. Hope that makes sense.
#3 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm in Austin and there is no coverage here either. The midwife can't order anything and have it covered by medicaid so if I want labs, etc. covered I have to get a doctor to order them.
#4 of 11 Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 PM

Medicaid will not cover a home birth, but WILL cover a birth center birth. Which doesn't make a lot of sense because they pay more for a birth center birth than they would for a home birth. Also, they will only cover a CNM, not the other kind of midwife. Which midwife are you seeing?
#5 of 11 Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMolly View Post
Medicaid will not cover a home birth, but WILL cover a birth center birth. Which doesn't make a lot of sense because they pay more for a birth center birth than they would for a home birth. Also, they will only cover a CNM, not the other kind of midwife. Which midwife are you seeing?
Some birth centers don't accept it because it doesn't pay enough...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#6 of 11 Old 07-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Some birth centers don't accept it because it doesn't pay enough...
Right. There's still just a few options for an out of hospital birth. But, at least there ARE a few.
#7 of 11 Old 07-16-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMolly View Post
Also, they will only cover a CNM, not the other kind of midwife. Which midwife are you seeing?
That sucks. They used to cover anyone who was licensed by the state, just like insurance is required to.

I remember that they covered birth center but not homebirth but it's true that some midwives don't take medicaid because they don't pay enough. They don't consider it 'worth their time and effort' many times.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#8 of 11 Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Medicaid won't cover a homebirth in DFW and only a few birth centers will accept it for BC-births. I gather it's very hard for midwifes to get paid with Medicaid, it's a sad situation, esp since natural birth is really picking up here.

We're medicaid covered (pretty useless for us) and paying out of pocket for a homebirth.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#9 of 11 Old 07-18-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

She's a CNM and offers births at her center or at home. Boo to Medicaid covering the center but not home...it's the same midwife, the same tools, and the same birth - just different walls and floors! Wtf?

BeanyMama, are you in the DFW area? Who are you birthing with?

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#10 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeep View Post
She's a CNM and offers births at her center or at home. Boo to Medicaid covering the center but not home...it's the same midwife, the same tools, and the same birth - just different walls and floors! Wtf?

I'm in Fort Worth, I think we're going to use Kim Watkins. She's out of Weatherford. I'm only 7 weeks along so I've yet to totally commit
She's coming over Friday to meet us. It feels so blind-datey!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#11 of 11 Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeep View Post

I had an awesome experience at Lovers Lane Birth Center. I have also attended a birth there as a doula which was also a totally awesome experience and mom was over the moon. I love that center! If I become pregnant again it will be at the top of my list for consoderatio.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page