Needing a little reassurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have just moved and are now further than we were from the hospital, and planning our home birth for November.

Previously we were less than 5 minutes from the hospital and I felt completely safe with that distance. It would take longer to get situated in the car, than the actual drive.

Here, we've moved 20-25 minutes from the hospital. I know, no far distance really, but I worry none the less. I'm sure I'll hear all the same things, but I am safe right? This surely isn't an unreasonable distance?

I really want this homebirth, but I know that I have to be completely sure of myself to make this really happen. A little confidence boosting would do me good! Does this sound safe to all of you? I am of course at the pinnacle of health and there are no reasons to even consider risking me out. I guess I just need confidence that this is safe, at least nearly as safe as before. <sigh>
#2 of 4 Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 PM

Remember that giving birth is one of the safest things you can do. Driving a car is more dangerous, and you don't make sure you're within 10 minutes of a hospital whenever you drive a car, right? If a homebirth needs to transfer to a hospital, it generally isn't an emergency situation that requires getting to a hospital within a few minutes. Your body knows how to do this. Women's bodies have been giving birth for eons.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#3 of 4 Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 AM

I am an hour away from the nearest hospital and always have been at least that far.

That is what Flight for Life is for...

I would never plan for a hospital birth because I live too far from one and I have had babies in under one hour...For us, planning a homebirth is much safer than driving in a panic down a mountain, trying not to have the baby in the car.

just my 2 cents.

Christian helpmeet, homeschooling, homebirthing, homesteading wife, happily raising our family completely naturally. Mother to 5 children, 1 angel and new baby due in August!
#4 of 4 Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
Driving a car is more dangerous, and you don't make sure you're within 10 minutes of a hospital whenever you drive a car, right?
What a great comparison. That certainly puts things in perspective.

I am sure things will feel more normal/safe once we are moved in to our permanent place. I just feel all disconnected from myself even, and that makes it much harder to come to terms with the current situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page