Anyone had to birth away from home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-18-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I'm planning a "home away from homebirth" for the birth of my third child in October. I couldn't find a midwife and backup doctor situation that I felt comfortable with up here in the Bay Area, so I'm going back down to LA to have my baby with the amazing midwife that helped catch baby #2. We have family down there, but no one has a place for me, the 2 kids, the cats (have to bring em) and my husband to stay - we're planning on being there from 37 weeks til a few weeks after the delivery. I think my best option is to stay at a residence inn type place... I can't imagine anyone being willing to sublet to our crazy brood, plus be willing to let me birth there

So - I'm looking for tips/tricks/what do to/what not to do about having a babe at a hotel. Also, any tips in general from mamas who have had to travel to birth their babes would be so appreciated.

Thank you!
Katherine

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!
#2 of 3 Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM

I had to travel to give birth to DS1 because I lived in a village in bush Alaska without adequate medical care (not a single doctor, nurse, paramedic, or even EMT in the village, and no road to the nearest place with any of those things). I didn't choose a homebirth, or even look into it, because I am very much a homebody... I wouldn't feel comfortable "homebirthing" away from home. I can't explain why a hospital birth was different, but... I'm odd .

I had to leave home at 36 weeks to "wait" in Anchorage. It's a very common birthing situation in rural Alaska; if you say, "I'm in *city* waiting," people don't ask you what you're waiting for . A coworker had a house in Anchorage and let me rent it for the month.

So... I'm no help on the home-away-from-homebirth aspect, but know all about the traveling to give birth thing. "Nesting" was hard because I wasn't so much feeling it before I left, and then my second week in Anchorage, I wanted to organize and clean and... there I was in my coworker's house that sat vacant most of the time, so it was pretty organized and clean and not mine to clean anyway .

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#3 of 3 Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 PM

I was debating on having the baby at my sisters. But I don't think it will work, small place, 7 kids, 2 dogs..

Also look at places just don't tell them you are having the baby in the apt.

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page