How much to midwife fees run in your state? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd have to dig out our paperwork, but for our homebirth in MN last year, I believe the fee was around $3500, with a substantial discount (down to $2800 or so) if you paid in full by week 28-30. We were responsible for a birth kit and pool (if we wanted one) above and beyond that; I think the kit was around $40 and I paid about $60 for some additional stuff (fishy pool, aquarium hose/sink attachment to fill and empty pool, old towels, etc.)

That included all prenatal appointments, the birth, and 6 weeks of postpartum care, as well as the newborn screening test if we wanted it (which actually costs the midwife over $100 for the test card, if I recall correctly). We felt it was a great deal; our insurance deductible is so high that we would almost certainly have paid more in the hospital, even though we had to pay for our midwife out of pocket (although we did use HSA money).

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#32 of 45 Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM

For my 10 mo, the cost of his birth was $4500 plus extras, like the birth tub.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#33 of 45 Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 AM

I paid $2,600 for my 2008 HB in NC. Worth every penny!

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#34 of 45 Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
In New York City the range is $5,000-7,500. Insurance covers homebirth here though, so it doesn't cost us anything.
Its strange. Because I saw the bill and insurance paid like 10.000$ for homebirth. But she came with assistant (student), maybe because of that...
#35 of 45 Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the Houston, TX, area. Most MWs give discounts for paying cash by 36 weeks, which can sometimes save 30%. Otherwise, costs range from around $3000-4800. My MW is at the higher end but does all home visits. My insurance has paid around half of that in the past, which brings it down close to her cash rate (though those may have changed in the last 6 years!).

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#36 of 45 Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 AM

I'm not in the States, but wanted to add my info anyway. If we were in the greater Stockholm area it would be free, like a hospital birth and all pre-natal care is, but since we live just outside Stockholm we need to pay our midwives ourselves. $1070 for the HB midwife and $270 for a second midwife who will do acupuncture.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#37 of 45 Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM

I'm paying $3,000 for my midwife here in Minnesota. That includes all prenatal appointments, the birth and the pp care and 6 week checkup. My midwifes assistant has a birth pool that I'm using free of charge. I'm expected to pay for the birth kit and any extra supplies that they recommend we have at the house. Also any labs that need to be done during the pregnancy or after. All is out of pocket. But, in reality, I would be paying a similar amount after insurance with a hospital birth.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#38 of 45 Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 PM

So glad to read this thread. I got bad news today that my insurance won't cover home birth and they have 1 in network birth center that is like an hour away from me. I am in Florida and have been calling midwives to set up appt's for initial consultations. I agree it is very sad that we have to consider costs when looking for a midwife but we definitely have to. ALthough DH is totally on board with homebirth he isn't too keen on paying out of pocket for something when we have insurance. I didn't realize that sometimes you could get an early payment discount- that would help a lot.

To answer the original question...I'm in the orlando, FL area and I have been quoted 2800-4500. Only 1 was 2800. 3 others told me 4200-4500.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#39 of 45 Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
San Francisco - $4,500 plus extras (doula, tub, birth kit)

We pay the midwives up front, but they use an insurance billing service that is apparently very good at getting reimbursements. My PPO should cover the midwives as out of network providers, which means I should get 70% back, but not until after the birth when they actually bill the insurance company. I'm sure we'll be wanting that $3K with a new lil babe!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#40 of 45 Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Manhattan, NY - the cheapest we've found thus far has been $5000.. and this doesn't include any hospital fees, labs, or ultrasounds
But this practice didn't accept insurance!

We decided to do a homebirth and chose a great midwife. Her fees are $6500, but again.. not including labwork or ultrasounds. Sooooooooo expensive.. but insurance covers just about everything

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#41 of 45 Old 07-29-2010, 01:28 PM

I checked a few prices in the area and average is around $2000. (Eastern PA)

My MW is $2000 (covers prenatal, labor/delivery & postpartum) labs/ultrasounds are extra. As is a birth pool, and the birth supply kit, which is around $75, but you can get that to be less, as some things you can pick up on your own or use different, for example the lovely mesh panties. I just use depends. lol

Oh yeah, and my insurance likely won't cover any of that because my insurance will only cover a licensed MW and PA won't license CPM or DEM MW's.

I'm still going to try to submit a global bill and get the prenatal care reimbursed at some rate.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#42 of 45 Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 PM

Chicago, Illinois midwives seem to average about $3500 - $4000.

autismribbon.gif

#43 of 45 Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 PM

My MW charges $3000, and gives a 20% discount if paid in full by 37 weeks. ($2400 total) I'm 36 weeks and we paid it off a few weeks ago. Her rates seem competitive. My birth kit was extra, and any doula fees or birth pools would be additional, as well. I'm not using a doula, and I'm using my deep garden pool.

Our insurance has a $5000 deductible for maternity, and then only 80/20 coverage. So....the normal vaginal birth I had last June, in the hospital, cost us more like $7000, with all of the fees, Ob visits, labs, u/s etc.

The MW fee covers all prenatals at home, delivery, and all the PP visits. I think it's a screamin' deal. We paid out of pocket for the necessary u/s (to see if placenta was over 2 x c-section scar) and I haven't had any lab work yet. I'll have the GBS that will be out of pocket. She does iron levels, and my labs from last pregnancy (as far as just the general stuff) were acceptable, since it was only about 8 months from the time I began seeing her.

Blessed Christian Wife and Mother to 5 +Oliver James-Our 10 lb 9 oz born Labor Day 2010!
#44 of 45 Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 PM

Eastern PA—$3400 for a CNM (that includes all prenatal care, the birth, and two or three post-birth visits)

#45 of 45 Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 AM

I'm in mid-michigan and I've talked with a LOT of midwives in the entire state. I think average is about 1500-4000 here.

Mama to a zoo!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page