Can apartment manager keep me from hb? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With those concerned about waterbirthing violating the lease. We had a large aquarium that our landlord knew about. We assured them that our renter's insurance would cover anywater damage and gave them a copy of our policy so that they wouldn't be worried about it.

But we didn't tell them about us having a home water birth in advance. We told our immediate neighbors so we wouldn't get the police called on us and put a sign on the door that said "Labor in progress, do not disturb". Our neighbors claimed to have not heard anything. After the birth when we went over to the manager's office with baby in hand I told her she was born at home. She thought that was really cool and told us she used to be a midwife herself.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#32 of 35 Old 10-30-2010, 04:11 PM

I'm not comfortable having a birthing pool, but it's more because I don't want to deal with the damage if it leaks. If I had a different style of apartment I might be okay with it, but I have a townhouse so the only place that's on the ground floor is the garage.

I haven't decided about telling the neighbors, because we do have really thin walls, to the point where sometimes we overhear conversations.

I'm not telling my apartment manager just because I don't think it's really any of their business. It's a huge complex, so it's not like I really know the management. but if I did there would be nothing they could do about it.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#33 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 PM

I'm having a HB in our apartment next Jan. As far as the screaming, I'm sure it'll be more controlled and quieter than many of the "drunk fights" I've heard around this joint.

As for the apartment managers, it's none of their beeswax. Giving birth is legal, for Pity's sake.

/sigh. People.

Mamma to Amelia (8/13/2006) Henry (7/28/2008), and Arthur (1/15/2011)
#34 of 35 Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc03 View Post
my husband is hoping to drop the bomb to our manager around the due date, maybe shortly after. just to have the pleasure of giving the jerk a conniption.
I like the way your husband thinks!!!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#35 of 35 Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 AM

You've gotten some awesome responses already. But just to chip in...

We're planning an apartment HB too. We are in one of 4 apartments in a big old farmhouse build in the 19th century. The walls are a bit thin, suffice to say.

DH was worried about this same issue. Would our landlord try to stop us if we told them? Would the neighbors call the apt manager, or worse, the cops?

My take on it is, there is some concern maybe for the apt manager trying to stop you before hand. But honestly, everyone here is dead on. They've no leg to stand on with that nonsense. My take on it is, we made this baby in our apartment, didn't we? We can birth it here too.

As for the neighbors, if you choose not to tell them beforehand, a sign is a good idea. I kind of fall back on the idea that you'd have to be a pretty gigantic jerk to see a sign like that, then still elect to call someone to try to interrupt someone birthing. I mean, that's pretty cold, my friend. I don't think most people are that, well, ballsy. At least they aren't in the midwest where we're from. And I tend to take full advantage of that.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page