Draining the birth pool *update post 23 with list* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
With #4 we had a UC and tried to drain the pool with the Python system...it did not work in the slightest. Dh had to bail it out bucket by bucket. I would like a pump of some sort that actually works this time. Anyone know a semi-affordable system that works?

We could drain it downhill out the back door, but it would all drain into where the kids toys are and we have no fence and very nosy neighbors who would have a heart attack seeing all of that bloody water run into their yard, as well.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#2 of 30 Old 08-01-2010, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you can somehow get the tube ending to be below the water level, you can just suck on it to start it (potentially a little gross - DH cheerfully did it here!). We drained it into the bathtub, on the same floor as the birth tub - so it was pretty much level with the very bottom of the birth tub, which meant he had to do some bailing, but only at the very end.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#3 of 30 Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, our house is sort of...lopsided (old house with settling) so it'd have to go uphill a bit to actually get to the bathtubs. And I just realized that draining it outside...it will be November and possibly very frozen and cold. We'd be lucky not to have a blood ice rink out there.

#4 of 30 Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Welll... with all the water, the ice rink would probably end up pink. So you could pretend you purposefully dyed it to create a Pink Rink.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#5 of 30 Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM

I picked up a submersible sump pump just a few months ago on ebay for about $20 including the shipping. Since you have some time until the birth, you could just try to find a bargain that way. You could either sell it after the birth or you could keep it around incase of basement flooding.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#6 of 30 Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Erika, do you have any links to the pump you got or a similar one?

We looked for a pump for our last birth (after siphoning with the one before that), and never found one that we were sure would work that wasn't $50 or more. So, we siphoned again (my MWs have been good about getting that started for us), and then my DH took the liner with the remaining water out and dumped it in the yard (which was a little, um, gory for a while, but I'm pretty sure the grass is still growing well! ). I imagine we'll do the same if we don't find a reasonably priced pump that we're sure will work!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#7 of 30 Old 08-02-2010, 03:41 AM

I wish we had thought of how we were going to drain the birth tub. I ended up having some complications after the birth. Everything turned out fine but when I need dh with me, he was bucketing out bloody water so ds wouldn't see it. Smart for thinking of this before hand!
#8 of 30 Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Craftsman-1-4hp-...item41519dad65

It was just something like this one. I have a bigger one that I love more, but I have 2 complete birth pool sets that I lend out to clients, so I had to pick up a 2nd pump. If you just search for "submersible utility pump" you will find many to choose from for pretty low prices. All you have to do is hook it up to your hose, drop it in the water, and then plug it in and walk away for awhile. THen drop it in a bucket of bleach water to clean it out before packing it away or selling it off.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#9 of 30 Old 08-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
With #4 we had a UC and tried to drain the pool with the Python system...it did not work in the slightest. Dh had to bail it out bucket by bucket. I would like a pump of some sort that actually works this time. Anyone know a semi-affordable system that works?
Do you know what the problem was w/ the Python? I've used the same system for 3 births now, and never really had a problem, other then it couldn't get the last little bit, but that was easy to take care of.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#10 of 30 Old 08-02-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
Welll... with all the water, the ice rink would probably end up pink. So you could pretend you purposefully dyed it to create a Pink Rink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post
I picked up a submersible sump pump just a few months ago on ebay for about $20 including the shipping. Since you have some time until the birth, you could just try to find a bargain that way. You could either sell it after the birth or you could keep it around incase of basement flooding.
Great idea, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
Do you know what the problem was w/ the Python? I've used the same system for 3 births now, and never really had a problem, other then it couldn't get the last little bit, but that was easy to take care of.
It just didn't work. I don't know if it was water pressure or what, but it just was not working for us. I had just had a pph so I left dh up to it, but even when I had tried pre-birth it wasn't working.

#11 of 30 Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 PM

To drain w/ the Python:

Quote:
Turn on the faucet. The water flowing through the pump will generate a suction that you will be able to feel at the end of the gravel tube. If you do not feel a vacuum at the end of the gravel tube, verify that the on/off valve is switched to the on position. The valve will be labeled to indicate which position is on and which is off.

Read more: How to Use a Python Siphon | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6396193_use-...#ixzz0vV0v294c
On my practice run. I didn't realize I needed the faucet running really hard to create the suction.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#12 of 30 Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

We followed the instructions and tried a bunch of times. Our water pressure there (and here) is just really not very strong, so I'm assuming that is why it was barely negligibly working. My sdad had a huge turtle tank and he used a similar apparatus for years to drain it, so I had a good idea of what to do. I've heard similar complaints from other people, too. It either works with your system or doesn't. I definitely am not going to waste money on it again knowing my water pressure isn't that good.

#13 of 30 Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 AM

I'm sorry it doesn't work for your house. If I were on your shoes I wouldn't buy it to have it fail again, too. I think your best bet would be the submersible sump pump.

#14 of 30 Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/Craftsman-1-4hp-...item41519dad65

It was just something like this one. I have a bigger one that I love more, but I have 2 complete birth pool sets that I lend out to clients, so I had to pick up a 2nd pump. If you just search for "submersible utility pump" you will find many to choose from for pretty low prices. All you have to do is hook it up to your hose, drop it in the water, and then plug it in and walk away for awhile. THen drop it in a bucket of bleach water to clean it out before packing it away or selling it off.
Thanks, Erika!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#15 of 30 Old 08-07-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

With the price of pumps, it's tempting to try the Python again! But I know it won't work here with our water pressure.

Has anyone tried this pump? I'm trying to find an affordable one. What else would I need with this?

#16 of 30 Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 PM

I just posted a new post about this one:
http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/water-...ump-p-867.html

It is only $12.50!?
Wondering if anyone has used it? It attaches to an electric drill for power, and drains 360 gallons per hour. I figure it would only take about 20 min to drain the fishy pool of about 100 gallons, which isn't too bad. but I'm new to this too...and stalking this thread for answers.

Seriously- researching birthing pools has made me not even want to bother with setting one up....but I'm sure I'll want it when labor kicks in!

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#17 of 30 Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well, hopefully you are going the month before me and I can see if it works for you! That looks too good to be true! I wonder how the drill connects?

#18 of 30 Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Trying to find reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Drill-Powered-.../dp/B000H5VJAS

#19 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 AM

K, we did a trial run of the fishy pool tonight. Python worked great for filling. However, do you really have to leave the water just running down the drain the entire time it's draining? It's been 15 minutes already, and that makes it look like it's going to take about an hour. An hour of water is going to be astronomical! We tried turning off the water, but the flow stops... I think we'll HAVE to get a pump if that's the case.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#20 of 30 Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah- doesn't look like that one would be the greatest for draining an entire pool of water. Not enough power maybe...

Good news on my end- checked in with my midwife before purchasing and she said she'd just let us use her pump that she rents out with the aquadoula when her clients rent it. So...ask your midwife before getting a pump that you're going to use a few times and then be done with!

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#21 of 30 Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

gabbyraja-Yes, it has to stay running the whole time. Our water prices are fairly high here, IMO, so to me that is another major detractor for the Python.

laurabfig-my mw rents pools but NOT the pumps and does not do any of that, so I have to find my own.

#22 of 30 Old 08-21-2010, 04:14 PM

I really like having a submersible utility pump... just hook the hose to it, put the other end of the hose in a bathtub, toilet or out a window, stick the pump into the water and plug 'er in.

My poor hubby had to dump with a bucket for my homebirths...
#23 of 30 Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down. Has anyone used any of these?

Simer 2305 Geyser II 1/4 HP Submersible Utility Pump

Wayne RUP160 1/6-Horsepower 3,000 GPH Oilless Submersible Utility Water Pump

Beckett 7062410 DP400 Pump for Ponds and Fountains

Now to pick one and figure out just how in the world to run one of these crazy contraptions. They look complicated.

#24 of 30 Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, I think I've narrowed it down. Has anyone used any of these?

Simer 2305 Geyser II 1/4 HP Submersible Utility Pump

Wayne RUP160 1/6-Horsepower 3,000 GPH Oilless Submersible Utility Water Pump

Beckett 7062410 DP400 Pump for Ponds and Fountains

Now to pick one and figure out just how in the world to run one of these crazy contraptions. They look complicated.
The first two look a lot like the one I bought from Menard's which is going strong after being used several times.
#25 of 30 Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 PM

I am going to order my birth pool liner from Cascade and found this pump there:
http://www.1cascade.com/ProductInfo....roductID=04568

Anyone used it? I think we'll try it but I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with it.

#26 of 30 Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
Love that!

'09   
#27 of 30 Old 10-17-2010, 02:53 PM

I am glad to find this thread. I am considering a waterbirth, but had no idea how to deal with emptying the pool (besides a bucket, or siphoning).

I'm going to ask my midwife if she rents out a submersible pump.

~ help meet to my Lionheart, mama to 6, due in Feb. with #7
#28 of 30 Old 10-17-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

I bought the Wayne one I linked to above. I have not used it yet and can't find a 3/4" hose. Go figure!

#29 of 30 Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I bought the Wayne one I linked to above. I have not used it yet and can't find a 3/4" hose. Go figure!
I found tons of drinking-water-safe hoses on Amazon (I was shocked!) and just did a search for 3/4". Here are the results:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...-free+&x=0&y=0

Hope that helps! They are more expensive than what I got (about $30 for 50ft) but if you can do everything with one, hopefully it's worth it!

#30 of 30 Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
I really like having a submersible utility pump... just hook the hose to it, put the other end of the hose in a bathtub, toilet or out a window, stick the pump into the water and plug 'er in.
\.
That's what we did. We had basement flooding last spring and happened to have several submersible pumps laying around so we used one, it drained in minutes.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page