Placenta indifference... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I just say that I love the title of this post...?

and also am so glad to see so many mamas with varying degrees of 'placenta indifference'. I'd started to think that 'placenta worship' was the next new religion no offense to any who do feel a lot of attachment!

I have different experiences with 6 placentas....we tried to bury the first deep in the compost pile but the dogs dug it up...a few got planted under trees, not all of which survived...last one (hosp birth) I never saw...anyway, as a mom and mw I do think they're fascinating and like to look at them, definitely more of a science thing. But no emotional/spiritual attachment, once the physical attachment has released--for me, it's use is done and now I have a baby to look at and adore so who cares about the placenta?
#32 of 55 Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 AM

I've had a placenta in my freezer for nearly 3 years and it's about to be joined by another within the next few weeks. Not sure where the pair of them will end up. My midwife was all for encapsulating this one but no, thanks. And I am not carting it around with the baby either, I'd probably drop one or the other.
#33 of 55 Old 12-24-2010, 11:27 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

I have heard of people slicing it up and topping pizza with it! I wonder what it tastes like. But I am not THAT curious. I thought about encapsuling it, I had some PPD with my first. But I think it was mostly due to circumstances during that time, and being an uneasy first time mom, not 'knowing' what i was doing...Anyways. Placenta. Placenta Pizza, and SMOOTHIES??? WHAT did they taste like?!? Could you taste 'it'? Is there Any Blood involved because consuming blood is a big no no here! sick.gif

placenta.jpg

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#34 of 55 Old 12-24-2010, 11:32 PM

I had no interest in mine at all. I haven't seen any benefits that can't be had with other methods (vitamins, herbs, etc) and haven't seen proof that it's all that usefulin other ways. I also think carrying it around is gross, and seems like it would risk infection to have a rottinng body part attached to the baby. To each his own, of course, but I didn't do anything with mine nor will do anything with the next ones either. I also don't care about cord cutting early or late, as I haven't seen any evidence that it makes a big difference with healthy, term babies. I ended up with a CS, so by that point it was the last thing on my mind anyway.
#35 of 55 Old 12-25-2010, 02:23 AM

No interest here either. 

I'll take a look, but that's about it.  I have no desire whatsoever to eat it or plant it. 

My midwife was shocked when i said it, she said it was the first time she had to figure out how to dispose of it.  I hope she figures it out because I won't be dealing with it ;)  There was some talk about freezing it and donating it to a midwifery program.  I think that would be cool.

#36 of 55 Old 12-25-2010, 12:59 PM

I have no interest in it whatsoever. My first 3 were hospital births so I didn't have to deal with it. Now with a planned homebirth my midwife said that it will be attached for about 2 hours. My dh and I were like oh wow! but I will have to talk to her about that because I have zero interest in snuggling with my placenta and I want others to be able to hold the baby. Wonder how insistent she will be?

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#37 of 55 Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 AM

Wow, I didn't know what lotus birth was and had to go look it up. There was a pic on the wiki page and ewww! Not much grosses me out but that did. I never saw my placenta with my first two kids and this time around I'm not really sure what I'll do with it. Encapsulating it sounds interesting...I'll have to see if anyone around me does that and what the cost/benefits are. If not that I think I'll try and have DH plant it. Maybe we'll get a tree and plant it with it. We have a spot in the front yard where several trees have been planted and not one has survived yet so maybe this will be the trick!  =)

~Christy, wife to M and mother to M and A, expecting baby #3 in May 2011 Planning our first HBAC!
#38 of 55 Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 AM

When we have a child I'm leaning toward donating the placenta to a local K9 Search and Rescue team for human remains detection (HRD) training - there may be some paperwork involved in that, but I know when I was on a team it was useful to have human tissue for training the HRD dogs.  Certainly not your normal use, but at this stage I'm not sure I'd want to consume it and certainly don't want it hiding in the freezer lol.  Figured I'd throw that option out there for others in case it resonates with anyone!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#39 of 55 Old 12-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Ha, I liked your thread title - & I have "placenta indifference" too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Once it stops pulsating, valves in the baby actually shut off blood flow, so I don't really see any medical value in keeping the chord attached for a long time. The lotus birth idea has never really captured me.

Yes, I feel the same way. Lotus birth seems like a major hassle for zero medical benefit. Totally cool if it has a meaning to people spiritually, but it has no appeal to me.

With DS, it seems it stopped pulsing & turned pure-white in a mere matter of minutes.

I too am interested in the "tour" my HB MW says she gives. In the hospital, DH & I looked & thought it was interesting, but didn't get a "tour" so I'm interested in that. But after the tour, yeah, the MW can have it if she wants it for her own garden, or I hope she'll take it away for me to be incinerated somewhere. (I haven't checked with her yet on if she'll dispose of it for me since we don't want it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momasana View Post

I think it is interesting to look at once it is out, but that's it. I considered planting this one but I'm afraid my dogs will dig it up and eat it (gross, I know, but totally possible).

LOL, my sister said the same thing about planting it in the yard - we laughed about how funny it would be to spot a dog running through the neighborhood with my placenta! hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post

donating the placenta to a local K9 Search and Rescue team for human remains detection (HRD) training

Now THAT is a cool use & something I could really get behind! There are signs up in the local state park where we often hike that they train dogs there, so maybe I can reach out to them & see if they do HRD training & could use it. Thanks for the idea!

ETA:

http://www.chesarda.org/page8.html

Here's my local dog-rescue org. The site states that HRD is something they offer (under "our services") and then their "Needs" page lists the need for vet supplies etc., but nothing about donating actual human tissue for HRD training. Could you do me a favor & just let me know if you get positive feedback on this issue? I was going to email, but I'm being a chicken - LOL! I'm thinking they must already have some sort of plan for what they use for HRD, so it may be weird to say, "Hey, you can have my tissue!"

#40 of 55 Old 12-28-2010, 02:35 PM

MegBoz - email them!  I know the team I was on did not put it on their wishlist, but that was mostly because they have some specific state requirements that must be met and most of their tissue came from the local hospital (they got placentas there as well as bone from joint replacements), so they didn't want to get deluged by people who didn't "get it" (i.e. needs to be human, no preservation with chemicals, "fresh" is ideal so it can be used fully and handled appropriately from day 1, etc.) or weird people out by asking for human tissue on the wishlist. 

Team members would donate stuff from family occasionally and I think they may have gotten a placenta that way, wisdom teeth, etc.  I know someone on another team who donated his old knee (had to jump thru some hospital regulations and paperwork for that one) to his local team without much problem.  The worst they can say is that they don't need it. winky.gif

ETA: homebirthed placentas may be especially useful in some municipalities since in some areas it's considered hazardous waste and the hospitals are required to throw it out no matter what.  Other areas cannot have the doctor give the tissue, but the individual it belongs to may.  Here's the link to the forum I lurk on that discussed human tissue donation to SAR groups: Donating human bone to a volunteer SAR group - the message board can be a bit rowdy, but this thread is a fairly clean one. blush.gif

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#41 of 55 Old 12-31-2010, 09:56 PM

I am planning on encapsulating this one. I also want to know if you can taste it in a smoothie, because I thought about keeping a few small chunks to do smoothies the first week. I don't know how long we'll keep it attached, I don't really care. Mostly I am just looking forward to being able to delay cord clamping (DD's cord actually ruptured where it inserted on her belly, so there wasn't even anything TO clamp!), and having a homebirth. I had pretty bad PPD after DD, which is one of the major reasons I want to encapsulate it this time.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#42 of 55 Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Funny post, OP!!  

I think I'm pretty indifferent too.  I didn't even see the placenta with my first birth.  I had a transfer, which I did not mentally prepare for at all so I kind of lost control of the whole placenta thing.  I would have liked to have seen it but am sure at that point that I wouldn't have done anything more with it.  

This time we do own our first home and do plan on planing a tree...I wonder how the foxes will like that?  

As far as how long to keep it attached -- we'll probably find some middle ground for that.  I imagine we'll do the whole wait for the cord to pulse thing and maybe hang out with it for a short while but I don't imagine that we'll wait for it to fall off or anything like that.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#43 of 55 Old 01-01-2011, 11:08 AM

I definitely had no interest in the placenta either time, didn't even care to see it, though I did both times. 

#44 of 55 Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 PM

After looking at it and marveling a bit, I let the mw whisk it anyway. I've never had a desire to keep one or do anything with it. 

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#45 of 55 Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM

It isn't all that important to me. We usually bury it under a tree or in the garden.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#46 of 55 Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Emailed the local dog training group. Got a reply:

"Hi Meg - thank you so much for contacting us - I will forward your email along to our HRD (human remains detection) Training Co-ordinator.
I hope all is going well with your pregnancy!"

:) So at least they didn't think, "EWWW! Gross, no way you freak!" Haha!
stardogs likes this.
#47 of 55 Old 01-04-2011, 01:29 PM

I was pretty indifferent about the placenta.  I jsut wanted baby to get all he could from it, and then I didn't care.  We initially decided we would wait til it stopped pulsing, but that requires checking to see if it is, which means squeezing it to feel, so if it still were, we'd be cutting off supply inadvertently.  The MW suggested waiting til the placenta was delivered, and that sounded like it made a lot of sense, so that's what we did.  The placenta was delivered 12 min after the baby, btw.  DH cut the cord after the placenta was out.  Then we froze it bc the MW said if we put it out in the trash can before trash day, animals could go for it.  We tossed it the next trash day.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#48 of 55 Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM

That's awesome MegBoz!

Erin

#49 of 55 Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM

I haven't decided what to do with the placenta. I would like to plant a tree, but we rent, so not on option (DF had a placenta tree that his parents planted. the tree died when he moved out. I like that story). we'll cut the cord, I'm thinking about an hour after the birth. I'm kind of grossed out by the idea of eating it, though I'm curious about encapsulation I don't think I'll do it (still kind of grosses me out). though now I want to look into donating to Human Remains Detection training sounds interesting. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#50 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 AM

Got another reply!

--------------------------------------------------------

"Our Team would be most grateful for a donation of your placenta.
Human tissue is used to train our Human Remains Detection K9's that search to find those that are deceased and need to be located in a variety of environments that includes everything from collapsed buildings to wilderness environments.

A training aid such as a placenta allows our K9's to train on a variety of age sources from the fresh placenta through months and years of tissue breakdown.

I would be glad to send you a request and thank you for the placenta on our Team letterhead.

Please let me know if you have and other questions or details that you would like explained. 
You can contact me by email at trustyourdog@ "

----------------------------------------------------------------

Loved that email address - very cute.

Yeah! what a cool use! & although I've never seen them, they have signs up at a nearby state park where we like to hike that they train the dogs there - so DD will end up hearing about it often. :D

I'm going to tell him I can spread the word if he likes too.

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.
#51 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Meg, that is awesome! I had never considered something like that! I have some clients who want their placentas and plenty of clients who do not care at all and ask me to just take it with me when I leave. I just end up burying them, but donating them to something like that is a really neat idea!

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#52 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 AM

I'm so glad this is working out for you Meg!  And can I just say I love that others are considering it?! I was a little worried that the suggestion might've been a little too out there. LOL Isn't it awesome that placentas can help save many more lives than just the baby they nourished when donated in this way?!joy.gif

Erin

#53 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

I haven't decided what to do with the placenta. I would like to plant a tree, but we rent, so not on option (DF had a placenta tree that his parents planted. the tree died when he moved out. I like that story). we'll cut the cord, I'm thinking about an hour after the birth. I'm kind of grossed out by the idea of eating it, though I'm curious about encapsulation I don't think I'll do it (still kind of grosses me out). though now I want to look into donating to Human Remains Detection training sounds interesting. 

For people who rent and are interested in burying the placenta, I always recommend they bury it under a potted plant.  That's always an option.  smile.gif

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#54 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Way cool, Meg!!  Let them there's another available in April if they want it -- otherwise getting planted for the foxes to did up.  ;-)  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#55 of 55 Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 AM

I think that the placenta is a fascinating, disposable organ. However, I don't get into eating it or anything. Cool for those who do, but not cool for me. Our baby's placentas always go straight to the freezer, where we intend to later pull them out and plant them. Right now, we've still our last placenta in the freezer and am due again this June! Looks like we will get to it this spring. orngbiggrin.gif

Loving wife to my hubby and mama to our 5 kiddos! homeschool.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page