Homebirth question: requires only a moment of your time. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 73 Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The midwife I work for (who also attended my last birth) does home visits from about 36 weeks on. Prior to that, clients come to her office. (Postpartum visits are at home, with the occasional exception at 6 weeks PP.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 73 Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For prenatal appointments we went to her. She came to us for our birth and the next day to check in.

'09   
#63 of 73 Old 08-30-2010, 05:59 PM

I live in Philadelphia and I'm working with a midwife who lives out of the city.
When I worked with her for my first child (3 years ago), she had a partner midwife who had a home-office in the city and that's where I went for my appointments.
Throughout my current pregnancy (I'm 37 wks), she has come to my home for any prenatal appointments.... and to any in-city clients she has.
I'm pretty sure that most, if not all of her out of city clients come to her home office for appointments.
#64 of 73 Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM

When I lived in NYC, my midwife came to me for everything. I don't think the midwives I interviewed even had offices. They worked out of their car. I really liked the idea that they were accustomed to using all of their equipment in a real world situation, and so would be more comfortable doing so at the birth.

But now I am in NC, and can't find any that come to you.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#65 of 73 Old 09-02-2010, 01:39 PM

I go to mine for prenatal appointments. They do a home visit at 36 weeks, I think. Then, they come for the birth and any postpartum follow-up.

Aimee wife to Matt Mama to Asher (4) and Ari (Due 11/6/10)
#66 of 73 Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 PM

I went to them up until the birth. Now I'm on home visits PP.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#67 of 73 Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM

I went to my mw home office for all prenatals but she made a home visit b/f the birth (sometime in the last month)

I do know she works a bit with clients who have transportation issues or live far away (outer limits of her service area??? )
#68 of 73 Old 09-04-2010, 10:21 PM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will go to my midwife till I'm 36 weeks and then after that she comes to me till 6w PP, I think.

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#69 of 73 Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 PM

our mw comes to us for every appointment and i've got to admit...it's soooo nice!

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#70 of 73 Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 PM

Mine comes to the house. I think a lot of them have home offices where they do their appointments. I am having the baby in Feb. so I'm glad I don't have to do any winter driving to appts!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#71 of 73 Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM

Guess we've been pretty lucky...all our visits have been in our own home. And can I just say I LOVE the midwives visits? We drink lemonade or herbal tea and talk, they answer questions and do all the necessary measuring, etc. It's so relaxing and just feels natural.

Mom to MJ - born 10.17.10 
#72 of 73 Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 PM

I go to a potential client for the initial consult visit. Then, if they decide they want to use my services, they typically come to me, unless they want to pay a little extra ($10) for me to go to them if they are w/in an hour of my home. It is $20 if they are more than one hr. away.
If I have several ladies due in one area around the same time then I tend to go to them at no extra charge. They & I enjoy the comraderie of women to spend the day with, and they spread the word that lots of times the midwife travels for the prenatals. We end up creating a supportive environment & group of friends.
#73 of 73 Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibummum View Post
For those of you who have either had or are planning to have a homebirth, does your midwife come to you for appointments or do you go to her? Just wondering which is more common. Thanks!
My midwife does births at her freestanding birth center or at home (client's choice which they want) but all clients go to her center for appointments, whether they will be birthing at home or in the center. If I remember correctly my mother went to her midwife's house for appointments (I have a very, very vague memory of going to her house and playing with her kids while she did the prenatal checkup).

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page