does this hose seem safe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep reading about making sure to get a drinking water quality hose to fill the birth pool. I wasn't able to order one along with the birth pool because they only had 25 foot lengths and I need one that is 50 feet so I've been looking on amazon. I'd really like to get one there because we have a prime membership and they have free shipping and easy returns if there is a problem. I plan on hooking it up to the shower with the shower adaptor I purchased with the birth pool. I thought a green hose would be nice so we can use it outside without having an oddball white hose.

I've never posted a link, I hope this works:

http://www.amazon.com/Apex-6612-50-A...1581769&sr=8-1

This hose says that it's lead free and is safe to drink from so does that mean it's safe to use to fill a birth pool? Does anyone have any other ideas on hoses?
#2 of 8 Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
honestly..... I was just going to use our garden hose.....

But they had some on sale at walmart the other day and DH wanted to get a new one so I told him not to use it outside yet, and that we can use that new one for filling the pool.

My midwife didn't say anything about needing a drinking quality hose, said that a clean regular hose would be fine.
#3 of 8 Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 AM

I got my supply list yesterday and my midwife just told me to go get a new garden hose that hadn't been laying around the yard yet so there wasn't any bacteria or fungus from the combination of moisture and heat being outside in the yard, so i am under the assumption that it mainly comes down to cleanliness of the hose. It is a hygiene/contamination issue.
#4 of 8 Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I've always read that the hose needs to be 'drinking water quality' because regular garden hoses usually contain lead.
#5 of 8 Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM

^^that.
So if the garden hose you buy is lead free and safe to drink from, I'd call it good! I had to buy a new drinking water hose for my RV last fall, and was pretty pissed about how much spendier it was than a garden hose.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#6 of 8 Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 AM

Would you water your vegetables with it? Then it's fine. Your baby isn't going to be drinking it.
#7 of 8 Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 AM

we are using a new regular garden hose as well.. i think it's mainly whatever you feel comfortable with.. just remember it's not like the baby is going to be in that water for a very long amount of time.... and who knows if you will even want to birth in it!

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
#8 of 8 Old 08-13-2010, 10:05 PM

I got one that is drinking water safe, so I think the one you picked should be fine.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page