Does your mw bring an assistant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious. With my first hb, I had a mw, her assistant (another mw) and a student mw. The second hb was a mw and a student mw, and the third hb was just my mw. I never thought to ask my mws if they came alone or not, but personally, I feel most comfortable when there is another set of hands at delivery time. Not that I want them all hanging around staring at me, but just to be available.

What have your experiences been?

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#2 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 08:40 PM

my midwife brings an assistant .. that way there is someone there for mom and for baby after birth..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#3 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 PM

My midwife brings an assistant who is certified in infant resesutation (sp?) and is also a doula. Although, it's more that the patient is required to hire the assistant in order to have the midwife at their birth.
#4 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 PM

My first midwife did not bring anyone. My second midwife had an apprentice. My midwife this time my midwife will bring another midwife and possibly a midwifery student if I am comfortable with it.
#5 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 PM

My midwife will have an assistant with her. She is coming to "meet" us probably this next visit, but I already know her from LLL. Anyway, I was glad to know there was an extra set of hands as needed My first birth I also had a birth assistant there and next to my doula she was my favorite person at the birth, lol.

Mama to Noah (3) and Rebekah (09/2/10) femalesling.GIF
#6 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM

In Ontario where MWs are regulated, there must be a 2nd -- she shows up later than the first and becomes the baby's caregiver after the birth. If for some reason there wasn't a 2nd (like if every homebirther was giving birth at the same time) we'd have to go to the hospital per their regs. I don't think this ever happens though, thankfully, as their practice is large enough to provide full coverage. My husband didn't realize this until the other night (um, due in 3 weeks honey!) and all of a sudden felt much more comfortable knowing there would be two knowledgeable capable women helping us!
#7 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 PM

Yes, mine brings one. She is also an apprentice, so qualified to help in an emergency.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#8 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 11:39 PM

My midwives work in a practice of 3. Each woman has a primary and secondary who alternate prenatals. The primary comes earlier in labor and then the second comes for baby's arrival.

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#9 of 27 Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 PM

My first birth was with 2 MW and an apprentice. This birth my MW has an apprentice and if the aprrentice is not available to attend she will bring her back-up MW as an assitant. She said no matter what there will be two people there.
#10 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 12:04 AM

I have a pair of midwives, and they each have an apprentice working with them. So we could possibly have FOUR care providers at the birth. We chose not to hire a doula or "kid doula" because of this

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#11 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let's see, one MW had an apprentice but I requested she not come because I do not like extra sets of hands. The other two did not have assistants, one had one that she used for some births but not always.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm in BC, Canada and midwives are regulated here as well and are required to have a "second" with them. My midwife has 3 others that could come with her. Two of which I'm comfortable with (I've met with them all), so I'm hoping its one of those two that come with my MW
#13 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Yes my midwife attends with art least one assistant--and at my birth when both the mw and assistant were really busy (bit of an emergency right at the end) my picture taking friend was recruited to chart while they worked

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#14 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 10:26 AM

My midwife brings an apprentice. She first lets us meet the apprentice and then decide if we would still like to have them come. For me the most important thing is that the apprentice be equally as respectful and considerate as our midwife. There was one pregnancy where I was uncomfortable by the apprentice because of a few things, but this time around with the new apprentice it seems just fine. I love my midwife and am glad she seems to have a found a great new apprentice!

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#15 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My midwife brings a backup midwife who is not an assistant or apprentice, but a midwife with her own practice. She also currently has several apprentices and who is actually present at your birth depends on how it unfolds and who you want there.

For DS's birth, she didn't have any apprentices at the time and we absolutely needed the midwife and her backup as all four of their hands were required to turn my guy around and help him out. I would be very uncomfortable with only one attendant.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#16 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 11:19 AM

There are so many different way of doing this. With my midwife, the apprentice is there for every prenatal, the birth and all of the postpartums. Basically the second midwife.

But there are also midwives here that have an assistant come to the homevisit and the birth. The couple doesn't really develope a relationship with her at all. She is just there to help the midwife.

I have done both of these as an apprentice.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#17 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPixie View Post
In Ontario where MWs are regulated, there must be a 2nd -- she shows up later than the first and becomes the baby's caregiver after the birth. If for some reason there wasn't a 2nd (like if every homebirther was giving birth at the same time) we'd have to go to the hospital per their regs. I don't think this ever happens though, thankfully, as their practice is large enough to provide full coverage. My husband didn't realize this until the other night (um, due in 3 weeks honey!) and all of a sudden felt much more comfortable knowing there would be two knowledgeable capable women helping us!
: Same here, except I'm in NS, where we only have 3 midwives. So it does happen here. I'm thinking of asking my family doctor (who is almost as excited about my home birth as I am) if she'd come along if the other midwife wasn't available.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#18 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Yes. My MW always works with an assistant. The one at my birth was an apprentice.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#19 of 27 Old 08-14-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post
There are so many different way of doing this. With my midwife, the apprentice is there for every prenatal, the birth and all of the postpartums. Basically the second midwife.
This is how my midwife does things.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#20 of 27 Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 AM

I'm also in Ontario. I get my primary midwife for my labour and then my secondary arrives for the birth. My midwives are a new practice and will be a teaching practice eventually, but at the moment they are still getting that set up. There won't be any students at this birth, just two midwives.

But at my first birth I had two students and two midwives. At my second birth I had two midwives and 1 student who arrived too late for my fast labour. At my third birth I had two midwives and 1 student who did most of the practical care during my labour and birth.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#21 of 27 Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 AM

My MW brings a student midwife with her. We can meet some of these midwives at appointments, but she said if you always schedule your appointments on the same day, then you might not meet them all. One mama who used her told me that the student who showed up had never met her before, so I'm not sure how much I like that. Will try and stagger my office visits so that I can at least meet everyone in the practice.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#22 of 27 Old 08-17-2010, 04:02 AM

My "birth team" for my first was a midwife, and apprentice, and an intern. Standard, and all three were expected to be at the birth, and most if not all of the appointments.

My current team, with a different midwifery, began as three full midwives, of which at least two would be at the birth. One passed away during my pregnancy, and they have replaced her with an assistant/apprentice. I think all three will be at the birth, with a minimum of midwife plus assistant.

I would always want at least two attendants in some form, in that there may be situations requiring two sets of hands whether for mama alone, or after birth, one for mama, one for baby.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#23 of 27 Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 AM

My MW brings an assistant who is also an apprentice/ student MW. She only brings ONE person with her. I confirmed that. While I agree it's definitely helpful to have another pair of hands assisting the MW, I have no interest in having more than 2 attendants! 2 MWs plus 1 assistant would be way too many people for me personally.

Do you have to pay a separate fee for your MW asst? Some of the HB MWs here charge it as a separate fee, but mine charges one flat global fee for everything - prenatals, birth, & the asst.
#24 of 27 Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 AM

No, my midwife sdoes not have an asssitant. She attends births alone and if she is at another birth when I go into labor another local HB midwife will cover for her and come in her place.

''''

#25 of 27 Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 PM

No extra fees "per person" for us. The cost of their services is for prenatal care, birth, and post-partum/well baby care for 6 weeks. They choose to provide it via 2-3 people.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#26 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Midwife + apprentice here. Amusingly, my midwife is also bringing her ~12ish year old daughter because my midwife has an almost one year old who comes to births with her. Given that we also hired a doula this time and my doula asked to bring another doula (long story) we are going to have quite a full house. It's a good thing I don't mind having a bunch of people staring at my crotch.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#27 of 27 Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 AM

I'm in BC, too, so there are always two midwives for a homebirth unless you're rural in which case I believe there's a provision for an assistant who has specific training. The second midwife comes right before the birth. I assume it's to have an extra pair of hands when the baby comes and for liability reasons.

I don't think, however, that you have to go the hospital if the second midwife can't make it. The second midwife on call when my daughter was born was actually at the hospital delivering another baby when my midwife called her to come. The other baby was born the exact same minute as my daughter so she would have never made it. She called another midwife in the practice who wasn't on call and who made it just before the birth. It was a fast birth, though, and I doubt I would have made it to the hospital anyway. The primary midwife got there just after I started pushing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page