Anyone else worried about homebirth second time around? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a great HB with DD#2. Labor only lasted 6 hours. I pushed for 45 minutes (she was LOP), which was a bit tough, but I got through it. DD #1 was born in the hospital after a 24 hour labor, so 6 hours seemed like a breeze. What if I have another really long labor? It's hard for me to imagine laboring longer than 6 hours or pushing longer than I did. Does anyone else worry that their next labor might be harder than the last? I'm only 25 weeks, and so far there is no reason for me to rationally think this labor will be more difficult, but for some reason the fear is there
#2 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 AM
L J

Yes. I worry about this a little. As my pregnancy has progessed, I have been able to let a lot of it go, and have just become determined that I can handle whatever happens. But, my first was such an easy, fast, textbook labor (less than 6 hours start to finish, no tearing, baby was pink and crying immediately, nursed within minutes) that I wonder if I can get that "lucky" again. I have no long labor to compare it to, and no reason to believe that this labor should be any different or worse than the first. But yeah, I think after having such an easy time of it, its probably pretty normal for us to worry that it won't be quite so great the next time around.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#3 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 AM

i personally dont worry about it because my last labor was brutal (he had both hands on top of his head and i labored with my husband in iraq for 13 hours..) but i will tell you.. even if you are afraid of what it will be like.. you'll get through it. Chances are your body wont go longer with your 3rd than your first.. it's already BTDT and if you had a successful labor with a posterior baby that was only 6 hours long.. i'd say you're chances are pretty good of having a similar experience this time around... only hopefully this time your LO will be anterior for you!

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
#4 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
But, my first was such an easy, fast, textbook labor (less than 6 hours start to finish, no tearing, baby was pink and crying immediately, nursed within minutes) that I wonder if I can get that "lucky" again.
EXACT same situation for me (except the nursing part, he just wasn't interested.) Yup, under 5 hours for 1st stage, had to fight the urge to push while we drove to the hospital, pushed about 45 min. Fabulous, awesome experience, totally manageable pain level the whole time. I too "wonder if I can get that "lucky" again."

BUT - I think odds are in my favor. My Mom had 3 of us & all her labors were relatively quick despite epidurals for all. I exercise, which helps things. I'll do my optimal fetal positioning, which I know helps. So I realize I shouldn't worry too much.

And besides, if I end up with a mal-positioned baby or longer labor, I know I'm even better equipped to handle it now with a great MW & HB, so I'll cope with it if I have to. But, yeah, I understand the concern.
#5 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM

A little. My first was a homebirth--12 hours of labor with two hours of pushing and a nuchal hand. I tore quite a bit and am really hoping this little babe will have a smaller head! But I have excellent midwives and a massive clawfoot tub that I'm hoping to give birth in this time (instead of lying on my side on the bed like last time).

My body has done it before and I trust the process, but birth can be unpredictable and every birth is different. In a way it's almost scarier this time, because I know what to expect. I'm trying to stay open-minded and just let things unfold instead of building up all these expectations and fears and hopes surrounding the birth. I think the more serene and accepting I am going into it, the better the birth will go.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#6 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM

I'm worried too, but for another reason (and I'm not even pregnant yet!): I had planned a homebirth and had to transfer to the hospital during labor. My water broke and according to the law here, if the baby isn't born within 24 hours, transfer is necessary. So although everything was going fine, my midwife had to transfer my care to the hospital. What's done is done (and now I know to wait to call the midwife!) but I really want a homebirth and I'm afraid of having to transfer again. Good luck to you!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#7 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 PM

I've had three babies... all at home... all water births.... and all really different from one another. My first was a long posterior labor, my second was really straight forward 6ish hours, and my third had a long warm up phase and then some confusion as I was complete with no urge to push (and not really liking it).

I am thinking that this upcoming birth will also be different. I've noticed that some people seem to have similar births, but for me my births seem to reflect the babies more than they do me. I will say- I've been in different places both mentally and physically at each birth and I've noticed that makes a difference.

Mama to DD-9, DSS-11, happily married and living with 1dog, 1 cat, 7 chickens, and 2 ducks....expecting 03/11
#8 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Not a bit worried. I've had all three of my kids naturally, but my only home birth (so far) was easily my longest and hardest. If I could do that, I can do it again...and in fact, I'm really looking forward to birthing in January!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#9 of 11 Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I transferred at 40 hours last time because I wasn't progressing and I was starting to hallucinate from sleep deprivation. Yeah... I am a bit nervous. I keep telling myself that anything under 24 hours will feel like a breeze.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#10 of 11 Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I transferred at 40 hours last time because I wasn't progressing and I was starting to hallucinate from sleep deprivation. Yeah... I am a bit nervous. I keep telling myself that anything under 24 hours will feel like a breeze.
Wow, this was me. I also transferred after 40 hrs for not progressing--2 nights of no sleep and not able to keep any food or fluids down--I was also starting to totally lose it. I am not going to have a birth tub this time--I didn't really like it and I felt like it contributed to things not picking up the way they should have.

However, I am still nervous. I feel that I've got to clear the bad mojo around the first birth--my midwife (different one this time around) mentioned doing some energy work/therapy to process it.
#11 of 11 Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 AM

I'm a little anxious, too. My first labor was 32 hours with a long pushing phase, and it was hard work! Baby and I were both fine throughout, but I had a very early urge to push and a swollen cervix, and it was not easy or fun to resist the urge to push while the swelling went down.

I'm hoping for something at least a bit shorter this time! I do feel a little more nervous because I know what to expect.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page