OB-GYN shortage on NBC news - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-08-2002, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting story tonight.
Basically, a shock-value piece about how malpractice insurance is so expensive, OB-GYNs won't catch babies anymore.
No mention whatsoever of alternatives to driving hundreds of miles to the nearest hospital with a doctor willing to catch your baby. (The couple in their little story lived in Bisbee, Arizona. From what I've heard about that town, I'd think there would be someone willing to come to them...)
Could OB-GYN's be driving themselves to extinction?
Over-intervening->dissatisfied customers->malpractice suits if anything goes wrong->higher insurance premiums->fewer OB's?
Interesting thought. Do we need more than one OB per hospital? There are more midwives every day.
The basics of the story are online, w/ a map of states most affected.http://www.msnbc.com/news/749422.asp

Here's a little note I wrote to them.

"Hello. I watched tonight's show with great interest.
I have a suggestion for the accompanying web story:
It would round out your state-by-state information beautifully to add a link to a map of the U.S.
that illustrates each state according to its midwife-per-population ratio. Midwives do not share quite the same malpractice liability, and provide a caliber of care proven to be far superior to that provided by today's American OB-GYNs. There are more midwives entering the field every day. They, most likely, will prove to be the solution to today's problems in childbirth health care: soaring costs and cesarean section rates, shockingly high rates of excessive intervention, and an embarassing 24th place rating on infant mortality among developed nations.

Give your worried visitors a ray of hope: a tidbit of crucial information. Tell them about midwives.
Thank you for your time, and your attention to this fascinating topic."

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#2 of 3 Old 05-10-2002, 10:22 PM

I heard a simliar story on NPR today. It's so interesting what is happening. My only fear would be that people who don't really believe in Homebirth end up having one, because they couldn't find an OB-GYN. I'd hate to have the rampant law suits brought into lay midwives. It would be such a shame.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 3 Old 05-11-2002, 10:07 AM

What good news for American women and their babes!!!
Title only, I will have time to read the article later.
Hopefully, the trend of CNMs replacing obs will accelerate now.
Thanks for sharing the news, and your reply was great, Ramlah!

Tracy
2 sections,
2 vbacs,
and due Jan. 2003

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page