To-do list & shopping list? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone made a to-do list (or found one online) of what needs to be done before your Homebirth? You know like -get a birth pool, -take CPR, -order birth kit & herbs -etc etc.... I'm trying to compile mine and delegate to get stuff done but my brain is fried! Anyone care to share their to-do list and/or shopping list?

Thanks in advance!!

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#2 of 25 Old 09-01-2010, 03:34 AM

My MW gave me a shopping list. Maybe ask yours for one? My only real to do was to keep the house clean since I never feel like cleaning for weeks after the birth.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#3 of 25 Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#4 of 25 Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Oh, I would love to see an actual list of this too. Right now, my nesting has taken over and I am a freak about getting the house super organized and ready for 2 babies. Poor DH is trying to keep up with my list. He is doing a great job though

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#5 of 25 Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to jump in, but my midwife has her supply list online and it also shows what I'm in charge of getting, if you're interested.

http://myhealthfreedom.com/index.php?id=178

If you prefer not to clink odd links, here it is:

What she supplies:

10 Underpad 23x24 Catch fluids
5 Underpad 23x36 Same as above
1 Peri Bottle, 8oz Holds mix of Povidone and warm water
1 Povidone iodine, 4 oz Antibacterial agent
1 Bulb Syringe, 3 oz Gentle suctioning if needed
12 Gauze Sponge, 4x4 12-ply (2/pkg) Absorbing fluids
1 Soothing Herbal Bath Healing herbs for 4 baths help with recovery
3 Glove, Sterile, Pair For any exam done after the waters break.
1 Infant Hat To help the newborn conserve heat if needed.
1 Tape Measure For several measurements taken sometime the first day.
6 Lubricating Jelly May be used if needed for vaginal exam or later
5 Alcohol Prep Pad Only needed if an injection is given or for the Newborn Screen
1 Cord Band, sterile, 2/pkg Used to tie the umbilical cord before cutting
1 Digital Thermometer For taking baby's and momma's temperatures
1 Handout: First Days AFter Birth Help the parents through the first few days
1 Handout: Labor Support Guide Help the laboring mother's partner
1 Unofficial Birth Certificate An attractive unofficial certificate for the families
1 Freezer Bag To store the placenta in the freezer until disposal.
2 Plastic-backed Sheet To protect a large area from fluids.

Additional Supplies Needed

The following are NOT included in the birth kit so you should acquire them:

2-4 Large bottles of hydrogen peroxide For cleaning
Unopened 2-4 oz. bottle of olive or almond oil For massage
2 bottle of pedialyte, 1 unflavored (for first-time moms only)
Trash bags
Shower curtain or large playpen pad For floor if squatting
Heating pad For warmth for mom or infant as needed
Healthful food and beverages for mom and midwives
6 clean towels For drying the baby
6 clean wash cloths For compresses
4 cotton baby blankets
Strainer or sieve for herbal bath
1 package of Depends (easier the first days than sanitary napkins)

Optional:
Birth Pool For waterbirth
Crockpot For hot compresses
Large bowl or shallow pan To catch the placenta
Ice pack For perineum after birth
Camera No Flash
Video camera and operator Not your husband
Music

Sorry it's a bit all over the place, the site has it neater!
I love having a shopping/to do list. I'm still trying to get all my stuff together. I'm pretty sure I'll add to this but this is what I'm starting with!

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#6 of 25 Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 PM

All my mw asks me to have on hand is peroxide, a crockpot, towels, and washcloths. I will be ordering a couple of extra peri bottles, because my older kids like to play with them
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#7 of 25 Old 09-01-2010, 05:08 PM
esg

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjelly View Post
All my mw asks me to have on hand is peroxide, a crockpot, towels, and washcloths. I will be ordering a couple of extra peri bottles, because my older kids like to play with them
Posted via Mobile Device
Simple! I like that! I'm so nervy though so I've convinced myself I need all that on my list and much more. First timer over here in every single respect!

#8 of 25 Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esg View Post
Simple! I like that! I'm so nervy though so I've convinced myself I need all that on my list and much more. First timer over here in every single respect!
First labors are often longer and you may very well use all the stuff on the longer list. I didn't have my first HB until #3, so I knew that a lot of the stuff would never be used. Useless to me: crockpot and washcloths for compresses (my babies come out in 2-3 pushes), oil for perineal massage, arnica, snacks, etc. Basically anything to do with comfort for a long labor and pushing stage, I won't make a big deal over having, b/c it would be very unusual if I did have a long pushing phase.

For me, the list is:

birth tub and accessories (tarp, hose, adapter, etc.)
old towels for me and baby
shower curtain for waterproofing if on land
alcohol and peroxide (no idea what these are for but they will be used around the house if necessary)
granny panties and ginormous pads
chux pads to sit on afterwards
flashlight and mirror for midwife to see with (never used these but again, useful around the house)
thermometer (already have)
paper towels and toilet paper

And then what you need for any birth/baby:

diapers
clothes
hats
blankets

Things I find to be totally useless are atmospheric items like candles, playlists, etc. Many women go into labor land and I know I was not aware of any of this, nor did I care.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#9 of 25 Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 PM
esg

Yep, first labor but good info, Galatea, thank you. It's funny how I was even trying to think of what music I would use for my playlist but you're right, now that I think about it, I don't even think I would pay as much attention to it.

#10 of 25 Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esg View Post
Yep, first labor but good info, Galatea, thank you. It's funny how I was even trying to think of what music I would use for my playlist but you're right, now that I think about it, I don't even think I would pay as much attention to it.
That depends on you - I really enjoyed that I was able to choose "my" music and my oil for the aromatherapy lamp.

That's a long list you've got there, I don't think we had that much. Again, that depends on personal preferences.

Don't forget to go grocery shopping and stock up on things like laundry and dishwashing detergent, bathroom tissue, diapers (whatever you use), nuts / almonds and dried fruits for a quick snack, etc. It also makes a lot of sense to cook double portions and freeze if you can - that will help you and your partner once baby is there.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#11 of 25 Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I loooove music and am very picky about it. I also have a super-sensitive sense of smell. Yet, in labor, I didn't notice any of this, nor care. I was all in my head, coping with labor.

I imagine aromatherapy would be nice for everyone else, though! Birth has a smell.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#12 of 25 Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 PM
esg

Those are good tips. I'll have to write them down. I do plan to cook and freeze some things but haven't decided what for sure yet. Not even sure how much. I have a lot to look into and I really need to make a full grocery list.

Thinking of this stuff is making me want to go and get it all done already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomof4 View Post
That depends on you - I really enjoyed that I was able to choose "my" music and my oil for the aromatherapy lamp.

That's a long list you've got there, I don't think we had that much. Again, that depends on personal preferences.

Don't forget to go grocery shopping and stock up on things like laundry and dishwashing detergent, bathroom tissue, diapers (whatever you use), nuts / almonds and dried fruits for a quick snack, etc. It also makes a lot of sense to cook double portions and freeze if you can - that will help you and your partner once baby is there.

#13 of 25 Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help!!

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#14 of 25 Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 PM

If you're planning on a water birth or laboring in a pool, get a tarp if the pool is not going to be on a mopable surface. Lots of towels too since you may get in an out several times. If you have an extra bath mat, that would also be good for the climbing in and out so the floor stays dry / non-slippery.

I could barely force myself to eat anything while I was in labor (about 24 hrs) so I drank a ton of honey water. This time I have 2 cases of plain coconut water on hand. What I don't drink during labor I will have no problem drinking later. The stuff is addictive. And the kind of sugar in plain coconut water is the kind that is preferentially used by your muscles, or so I have been told, so great for hydrating during physical events.

Lots of chux pads. Good for during the birth but also for after too. I had a small 2nd degree tear with DS and I went bare bottomed most of the time over the next several days to help with healing. I sat on chux pads to absorb the lochia. You can get them at any drug store.

A clean bucket / small trashcan to vomit in. Some women don't vomit but some do but if you need it, you won't have time to go hunt for one.

Make sure your DP is familiar with where everything is. It sucks having to give directions to go find things like the heating pad or the baby's clothing after the birth.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#15 of 25 Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 PM
esg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post

A clean bucket / small trashcan to vomit in. Some women don't vomit but some do but if you need it, you won't have time to go hunt for one.

Make sure your DP is familiar with where everything is. It sucks having to give directions to go find things like the heating pad or the baby's clothing after the birth.
Those are two that need to be on my list. The first one I didn't think about but I need to make sure I don't forget about that last one.

#16 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM

I'm 34 weeks can I possibly get everything together??? I just signed up with my MW and had my son at 37 weeks. Still have to clean my house, and make all the different kits for the homebirth. I'm getting a little nervous especially because I haven't washed and prepped all the baby cloths nor have I ordered my cloth diapers. I don't think i have enough time to do anything and I'm getting a little overwhelmed now, but I think it will be totally worth it. I hope this baby comes closer to his/her due date. 

Thanks for this list it is really helpful. 

#17 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM

I put everything (birth supplies and anything I thought I'd need during the birth, along with some hats and baby clothes) in the babies cosleeper, I had it all set up anyways, and no baby to put in it.

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#18 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadirqutiesmom View Post

I'm 34 weeks can I possibly get everything together??? I just signed up with my MW and had my son at 37 weeks. Still have to clean my house, and make all the different kits for the homebirth. I'm getting a little nervous especially because I haven't washed and prepped all the baby cloths nor have I ordered my cloth diapers. I don't think i have enough time to do anything and I'm getting a little overwhelmed now, but I think it will be totally worth it. I hope this baby comes closer to his/her due date. 

Thanks for this list it is really helpful. 

You can do it.  Take a deep breath and realize that not EVERYTHING has to to be done!  (Of course, I was completely out of my mind with cleaning, cooking, baking and finishing numerous projects before my hb).  You only need to wash a handful of baby clothes - the rest can be washed later.  If you don't get cloth diapers in time, keep a package of disposables on hand. Order your midwive's hb kit and get the other needed supplies for the birth and slowly peice together the rest of your needs.

Catholic wife to S and mama to my two loveys V dd1 10/04 and G dd2 11/10 - #3 due in August 2013.  Here we go again.  homebirth.jpgwinner.jpg selectivevax.gifcd.gif

#19 of 25 Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 AM

I have so far made a to-do list for my kids, and a call/text list for the birth. My kids are two teens and an almost-9 year old and want things to do to keep them busy in case they can't handle labor LOL Especially the middle child. It's things like cleaning the dishes, clean the van out, make sure all phones and mp3 players are charged, feed the dogs and let them out to potty,...

My midwife has a supply list online and as I have been through this before I know there's not much we need for a homebirth so I'm actually not so concerned about supplies.

One of my major concerns is trying to cook/freeze lots of foods so we'll have good food after the birth, and not just hot pockets and corn dogs like last time :oP

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#20 of 25 Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the encouragement and words of advice. I'm trying to do exactly what you say and take it one step at a time and worry only about the necessary things. I guess I'm nesting and with a 2 year old and things constantly getting messy I'm having a hard time focusing. I just hope this baby comes closer to his/her due date than my son did. I definitely wouldn't mind the extra time. 

#21 of 25 Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Here is My Personal List. I am 37 Weeks Tomorrow, and almost all of this is Complete. The room is ready, decorated, set up and stocked with supplies. (I set up a spare room as My Birth Room. It has a Birth Pool in a Box, our old queen bed, twinkle lights and focal points, Birth Supples, Candles...It's Perfect!) I have tie dyed, and sewed all the stuff I really 'needed' to. All I really have to do is Pack the Kids bags, Restock our foods(For some reason they keep running out!)....And the 'last-minute-Cant-do-before-labor-starts-anyway' stuff. I have a few more things to sew, but they aren't super pressing. Just stuff to keep me occupied until the Big day. We also need to install the Carseat base, but it's so easy it take a minute or two tops. We have a hose for the Pool, (The drinking Water Safe Kind) But want to buy a 2nd one to hook directly to the water heater (It's in the spare room. Convienient!) and the other one to hook up in the kitchen (20 feet away) to the cold water to double the amount that is pumping into the pool and fill it up twice as fast.

Decorative:
Twinkle lights
Candles; lilac, cut grass, vanilla, fresh linen
Flowers:artificial and fresh
screw hooks
mobiles
bath rug
Towel racks or hooks
Pretty Pictures and frames
Clear Jar with Orange and blue glass stones to hold flowers

Make a rice Sock

Supplies to buy:
Towels
2 Big Storage Bins
Hose Suitable to Drink from
2nd Drinking Safe Hose
BLEACH! VINEGAR! PEROXIDE!
Pads
Tucks
Chux
Dim Light Bulbs
Nursing Tops
More undies
Betadine
Witch Hazel(No alcohol in it)
Large Cheap Bowls
Thermometer
Thank You cards
Popsicle molds
LARGE Pot(s) {Borrow?}
Bath Rug

In Actual Supply Box
Newborn Diapers
Chux
Betadine
Bulb Syringe
Thermometer
Straws
Large Garbage Bags
Baby Hats
Receiving Blankets
Flashlight
Underwear
Kotex
Q-Tips
Newborn Clothes
Olive Oil
Tub Supplies (Hose, Pump, Liner, Attachments...)
Ziploc Freezer Bag(s)
Paper Towels
Hair bands and clips
Baby Wipes
Matches
Measuring Tape
Lotion
Chap Stick

Food to Have:

Raspberry Leaf Tea
Waffle Mix
Yogurt
Cheese Sticks
Bread
Tortillas
Refried Beans
Cheese
Salsa
Spanish Rice
Eggs
Almond Butter
Coconut Water
Silk Brand Coconut Milk
Vitamin Waters
Capri Sun (Pacific Cooler)
Orange Juice (Pulp Free)
V8 SPlash
Real Coconuts?
Honey
Watermelon
Pasta Salad (Supplies)
Fruit salad stuff, canned fruit+Strawberries/Bananas/Apples/grapes
Crackers-Wheat Thins, Graham
Meatloaf stuff?

Have Coconut Water Pops and RRLT Pops ready made

To Do:
Organize Entire House.
    •    Top of Fridge
    •    Washing Machine Area
    •    Microwave Shelf
    •    Kid's Closet
    •    Hall Closet Bottom
    •    Hall Closet Top
    •    Bathroom Cabinets

Make Up Sign For front Door
Lists for helpers regarding Birth Plan/kids/laundry/food...
Set up room. Bed. Pool. Music. Computer. Stations
Make Up Beds
Decorate/Organize Room
Sterilize all Xtra Sheets towels Receiving blankets & store in a bag in a bin.
Tie Dye Baby things!!

Wash and Install Infant Carseat

Pack Overnight Bags for the Kids

To Do in Early Labor:
Shop for any Food We Don't Have (See Food List Above)
Cool Room Down (Turn on fans, open Window...)
Turn up Water Heater (140°)
Charge Batteries for cameras.
SET UP TUB (Drain, Dry, Put on Liner, Refill)
SET UP ROOM(Put things out, within reach)
Move Computer to room and set up iMovie camera.
Make Food (Boil Eggs, Fruit Salad, Pasta Salad, Cookies...)
Pick Flowers
Last minute Chores, (Counters, Bathrooms, Kitchen Floor Swept and Mopped, Dishes, Laundry, Vacuum...)
SLEEP AND REST
Light Candles
Fill Pots with water and Boil
Call Helpers

Make Coconut Ice: Equal Parts Coconut Water and Silk Brand Coconut Milk, add a couple of drops of Coconut flavor. Freeze. Shave in Snow Cone Maker

"Make your own flexible icepacks by combining rubbing alcohol and water.
Use one part alcohol to 3 parts water. If you increase the ratio of alcohol,
the frozen mixture will be slushier, gentler. Put this mixture into a
condom and tie the end closed like you would a balloon. After it is
frozen you may want to put another condom over it. This can then be
wrapped in soft flannel. The idea is that this shape would be more
ergonomic. It is to be applied the same way you put a hot dog in a bun."

Make a sign for your door. :

"At homebirths we mother the mother. Please do something helpful/useful while you are here. Sweep the floor, quietly do the dishes, wash a load of laundry, or take out the trash."

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#22 of 25 Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM

Brittany- Ok, your setup sounds amazing! At least what I am picturing in my head lol!

Amber

#23 of 25 Old 07-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistiblue02 View Post

Brittany- Ok, your setup sounds amazing! At least what I am picturing in my head lol!

Amber

I'll Have to Add Pics!

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#24 of 25 Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 AM

wow, sounds like you are expecting a LONG labor! My first was 6 hours and my second was 30 minutes, so my plan for this time is

Get someone here to watch the kids

Get the pool set up in time

That's all! smile.gif

#25 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Nuzzlenudge: your list is a great!  I'll have to revisit it as I get closer to figuring out my own list. smile.gif

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page