Evening Primrose Oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I asked my midwife about it and she said it's used to "ripen the cervix" and beneficial for ladies with cervical scarring. (I'm a FTM with no scarring issues, just curious about the effects if used)

Please share your personal experiences.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 PM

I don't have cervical scarring but I used EPO with DD and Borage Oil (which has a higher concentration of GLA which means less pills to get the same effect, lol) this time.

It often helps to soften the cervix in a similar way as semen does with the prostoglandins. For some this is helpful in avoiding induction or ripening using cervadil (similar concent, but it's pig semen IIRC).

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#3 of 9 Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post
It often helps to soften the cervix in a similar way as semen does with the prostoglandins. For some this is helpful in avoiding induction or ripening using cervadil (similar concent, but it's pig semen IIRC).
EPO doesn't work quite the same semen and cervidil do. Those both have complete protaglandins in them, where as EPO has prostaglandin precursors.

EPO probably won't hurt you, but I've never seen any real benefit to using it for "labor preparation". Here's a small study that was done on EPO by a CNM: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...7&searchtype=a
Take it with a grain of salt though.. it's small!
#4 of 9 Old 09-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From what I've read about EPO, it's got a positive allround influence on the female hormonal system. Some midwives use it to boost GLA levels in the mother to be in preparation of breastfeeding (so mother doesn't get deprived).

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#5 of 9 Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 PM

I truly think my first birth might have been a disaster without it. I was overdue, and my doctor was beginning to talk induction. I started taking the EPO and was in labour three days later. I had a lot of trouble dilating (baby was posterior) but everyone kept commenting that my cervix was 'paper thin'. Ended up with an epidural and pitocin, and then dilated beauitfully in a fairly quick fashion. I credit the EPO with the smooth reaction to the pit and think I would likely have ended up c-section without it.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 9 Old 09-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Just my input - I had asked my midwives b/c I'd also read some about it... My first birth was all natural to pushing/missed breech/emergency cesarean They said since my body "worked perfectly" - dilated completely, etc., that I probably wouldn't want all that "extra softening", but we could talk about it later if I wanted...
#7 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 PM

I didn't say they worked the same... I said that it can work in a SIMILAR way that semen does with it's prostiglandins. Did I not word it right? I didn't say EPO had prostiglandins, just that it can help soften the cervix in a similar way that semen or cervidil is used.

I'm just trying to figure out why my comment was corrected because I didn't say they were the same or even that they had prostiglandins... just that it can be a similar effect as those with prostiglandins.

Confused mama over here... LOL

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#8 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! This is really interesting, as well as informative! I enjoy hearing your experiences, keep 'em coming!
#9 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure I used gel tabs vaginally, just the week maybe before I was due. I also did RRL. Went into labor on my own about a day after EDD and had a pretty quick, easy birth (also HypnoBabies). I am doing everything the same thing time, unless my midwife has different advice, but so far she's agreed (haven't disucssed EPO yet).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page