CDC: C-section Triples Neonatal Death Rate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought this was an interesting article. It surprises me it took them this long to come out with this study- I thought it was common sense!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...al.html?cat=25

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-14-2010, 12:25 PM

I mentioned that stat on MDC a few months ago & someone replied that it was actually not a very good study. I forget the details - maybe they weren't comparing low-risk pregnancies that resulted in CS to low-risk pregnancies with vaginal births? I can't recall.
&, obviously you'd need to try to compare 'apples to apples' in that regard in order to really isolate CS as the independent variable to see if CS alone increases neonatal death rate.

Hopefully that same person will post again.
#3 of 5 Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Yeah, that's pretty grim. I do hope the person who felt the study was poorly done posts again. I'd like to hear more about it.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#4 of 5 Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmmm, the article claims to have adjusted for risk factors. That would be startling if correct. I knew there was an increased risk, but didn't know it was that high.

Thanks for the link!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#5 of 5 Old 09-14-2010, 02:56 PM

I think there are some things off with the study. Because some of those c-sections were done on high risk women, with poor prognosis in the first place. I read over the data. They pretty much compared all the c-sections and neonatal death rates. VS vaginal birth and death rates.

That said.. some c-sections are done to save mother's life or babies life and are done VERY prematurely. So yes neonatal deaths happen more when baby is NOT full term or even close to full term.

BUT I think the CDC is on the right track and starting to really examine that C-sections are NOT the safer way to go.

Mama to a zoo!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page