Sanitizing sheets, recieving blankets, towels etc.? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you do it? For my son's birth, the midwife said to put them into the oven in paper bags for an hour at 140 degrees. We did it.

I can't remember what we did with my daughter's birth re: the baking of linens. I think we might have baked them, but I'm not positive.

I've heard since that it's unnecessary, but I did wash everything in hot water before packing it away for the birth. I'm wondering if I should clean the supplies a little more with the oven thing.....

BTW, my house is not particularly sanitary, so I'm thinking that maybe it's silly. There are drifts of dog and cat hair under the furniture, and sand tracked in daily by the kids.
#2 of 19 Old 10-02-2010, 12:05 PM

I've heard about puting the linens into the oven but I thought that was so that they were warm for wrapping up the baby, etc. I don't know about the sanitizing - our house is the same with the pet hair and well, I figure the baby will be coming through my vagina and that's not exactly the most sanitary, right?
#3 of 19 Old 10-02-2010, 12:07 PM

yeah the oven thing is to keep them warm as far as I know. I wouldn't worry about extra-sanitizing.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 19 Old 10-02-2010, 05:21 PM

I just made sure everything was freshly washed...I've never heard of anyone baking their sheets.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#5 of 19 Old 10-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
That was an old school recommendation. We did it with our oldest who was born 10+ years ago. I might have done it with my second. I know the last couple I just washed and dried everything and had it stored away.

#6 of 19 Old 10-03-2010, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Yea, my DC was born 9 years ago and that was the recommendation then.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#7 of 19 Old 10-03-2010, 11:32 PM

We didn't bake anything; just packed it away in a bag after washing it.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#8 of 19 Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 AM

My MW said to just dry it on high heat and you're good.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#9 of 19 Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 AM

No we didn't sanitize anything. I just washed everything as I normally would. Also I made sure to use non toxic detergent and fabric softeners which is just what I use on all our family laundry anyway.

~Melissa~ Policewife, Mom to 4 great kids. Organ donation has touched our lives.
#10 of 19 Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've never even heard of it. I've been just washing everything regularly (dingy used items are getting washed twice). It might be beneficial to wash them extra hot if people have been sick recently but its not like babies are born with absolutely no immune system. Some antibodies are passed from mother to baby before birth and it would make sense that a woman would pass more antibodies to things she lived with and was regularly exposed to.

Now things that are meant to go in their mouth (artificial nippes and toys)... I'd sanitize those.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#11 of 19 Old 10-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Never heard of that. Just washed & dried normally.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#12 of 19 Old 10-08-2010, 09:52 PM

As a biologist, I can tell you that sanitizing is a waste of time. They won't stay sterile for more than a few seconds, even if you can get them that way to start! Just make sure they are clean and call it good.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#13 of 19 Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 PM

We did not do that. I washed everything and set it on the guest room bed, at least a month in advance. My midwife said that was fine.

Mama to three

#14 of 19 Old 10-09-2010, 01:35 AM

We washed (twice, as they were new and we wanted the lint off lol) then tossed them in a trunk until the birth. Sheets however, were placed on the bed with the waterproof liners underneath and used nightly until she was born. Washed my usual times during the month that they were on, but just the top one as the bottom one was under a waterproof liner... we used the recommendation of mattress, liner, sheet, liner sheet for easy clean up after she came. I am SO glad we did too as it gave my midwives more time to help me clean myself up before I got back into bed.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#15 of 19 Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
As a biologist, I can tell you that sanitizing is a waste of time. They won't stay sterile for more than a few seconds, even if you can get them that way to start! Just make sure they are clean and call it good.
Yes! The whole idea of 'sterile' is a fantasy--at home or in the hospital. Micro-organisms of all kinds live everywhere...in the air, on surfaces...everywhere. This is normal life...teeming with life At home, the advantage is that the germs present are YOUR germs, your family's personal set of organisms that you've all learned to live with....and you will pass to your baby the tools to live with those same germs. No worries!
#16 of 19 Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 PM

I've only had to oven-sanitize the pan that the midwife uses for her tools and eventually, the placenta. Which makes sense.

I've never had to bake the towels/blankets, but I think they would get thrown in the dryer to warm them up if it was cool in the house.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#17 of 19 Old 10-10-2010, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've seen recommendations to dry on high a bit longer than necessary and then seal everything up afterwards. But, as PPs said, there's no way to prevent "contamination" from the real world. If I knew someone was sick, I'd probably be more careful, but I agree that a thorough cleaning and drying should be fine.

My MWs have used a heating pad to warm blankets in the room during the birth. That worked quite nicely and no one had to run to the kitchen - or risk catching the towels on fire.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#18 of 19 Old 10-10-2010, 11:16 PM

I never did, lol. I just washed and dried them. A month in advance even! My MW had a nice heating pad to keep the blankets and hat warm
#19 of 19 Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 PM

With a Homebirth, there's no reason to sanitize unless it's something you think may be contaminited by someone outside of your immediate family. The baby is going to come into contact with every germ in your house in the first hour, and you're already giving them the immunity to it. I'm pretty sure they do sanitize at the hospitals, but that's because of multiple unrelated people using the same linens.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page