Placenta delivery info - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-23-2004, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question for all you wise and learned mamas out there. I'm not even pregnant, but I'm starting early to prepare for a UC.

With both dd and ds, I had what for me were borderline ideal hospital births. All by God's grace, I might add, and an arrogant Doc (I'd like to thank him for missing my dd's birth because he thought he knew more about me than I did!) an amazing resident (who actually took 20 seconds to scan my birthplan and FOLLOW it) as he attended my dd's arrival, and a wonderful nurse (who was only at the hospital for the week due to a baby boom!) who helped my dh catch my ds (my M/W's legs were too short to allow her to get there in time! ) and insisted everyone that came near us adhere to my wishes. Bless them all!

That all having been said, I've been reading in the archives about lotus birth and different views on placentas and cords and whatnot. It sounds like it's sometimes difficult to deliver the placenta, but with both of my babies, I never even felt it come out.

So my question is this: was that just the way my body does things, or was that due to something the doc or midwife did? I come from a long line of 'good birthing stock!' We'd squat in the fields if we had any. (fields ) Maybe I just have huge hips? I had totally natural birth right up until they gave me the pitocin. I d*mn sure felt both babies coming out!! I think maybe I was just too excited and pumped full of adrenaline? Neither baby was big or small..just right. I didn't know anything about when cutting cords was good or bad. I did nurse them both immediately, and with my son I had what they said was 'technically' a post partum hemorrage, but didn't suffer any ill effects. They did give me a shot of pitocin even though I was nursing my son. I could tell that the m/w was getting nervous. She said my bleeding could be because a)I'm a redhead, b)Ds came into the world fast and furious, c)I was in the jacuzzi until they dragged me out kicking and cursing (this hospital didn't do waterbirths) or d)all of the above acting together. Needless to say, no one offered me any placenta to eat. I was just figuring I'd have a bite of that if the bleeding seemed too intense with our next baby.

So any info any one has, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you, sorry this is so long!

lizzie

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#2 of 6 Old 03-23-2004, 06:08 PM

i'm not sure exactly what your question is
are placentas hard to deliver??
what about hemorrhage??
those were a couple i gleaned out

ask pamamidwife for sure
but in my experience, and from what my midwives did
you don't have to "deliver" the placenta
it comes out
w/ all of mine
i experienced a strong contraction
and a light pushing urge
(lighter than pushing a baby)
i don't remember how long it took
between the babes and the placentas
but i know my midwife does not like
to pull on the cord
as this can cause excessive bleeding
or even incomplete delivery of the placenta

i think they like to see it come out w/in a certain amount of time
but i don't know what that time frame is

i know there are remedies and herbs for bleeding
i was at one birth where the woman was given shepherd's purse
(i THINK, somebody can back me up maybe)
and it was the most amazing thing
her bleeding stopped like somebody had
turned off a tap
i have always been a really light bleeder
so don't have first hand experience w/ this
#3 of 6 Old 03-23-2004, 08:18 PM

"It sounds like it's sometimes difficult to deliver the placenta, but with both of my babies, I never even felt it come out. So my question is this: was that just the way my body does things, or was that due to something the doc or midwife did?"

Impossible to say, when they didn't wait to see what your body would do on its own. Active management of third stage is normally unnecessary and *can * cause problems. Did they do anything besides the pitocin? Cord traction? Uterine massage? These can lead to hemorrhage.
#4 of 6 Old 03-24-2004, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I suggest you get your records and find out.

Usually the medical model of childbirth advocates for active management of all stages of childbirth including the third stage the delivery of the placenta. If you had an IV, they probably put pitocin in there to contract the uterus and the doctor simply pulled it out.
#5 of 6 Old 03-24-2004, 04:10 AM

I would not dwell on this at all, especially since you've had simple deliveries before. I had possibly the most nightmare scenario, in which the placenta didn't come out by itself and I close to hemmorhaged, but I tell you this not to freak you out but to tell you this is extremely rare, my two experienced midwives had never seen this before, *and*, we still had a successful midwife managed homebirth. They gave me pitocin and an IV and manually took the placenta out. Not pleasant, but it's amazing what these women can take care of. they are unable to say whether this makes me any more likely to have this problem again, but I would still choose a homebirth the next time around.
#6 of 6 Old 03-24-2004, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies! I ramble too much, I know! I will take all your advice and info. Never thought to get my records! You'd think that would be obvious!

I know they were massaging my uterus both times. Acted like it was key to my survival! I'm just glad I'm getting started now, because it seems like I have a lot to learn!

lizzie

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page