Foods for Homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-07-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am due in 3 weeks and am planning a homebirth. It will be me, my DH, my midwife, an assitant, and possibly my mom at the birth. What types of foods are best to have during / right after?

This is what I was planning on having:
coconut water / juice / lemonade
veggies & dip or hummus
fruit
frozen pizza
muffins

I wasn't planning on freezing any meals for the actual birth. Should I? Will my midwife be okay with just healthy snacks?

My other question is, since most of that stuff is perishable, when do I start to get those things together? Do I send my DH out when I start labor to get foods and then I make some stuff?

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 PM

I don't think your midwife expects a six course dinner but you need something more than a bowl of cereal on hand. It's possible that she will be at your home for more than 24 hours.

Here is my food plan...
veggie & dip
hummus
cheese, crackers, deli meat
muffins (individually wrapped & frozen)
soup (frozen, will toss in crockpot when labor starts)
fruit juice (I can't find a coconut water that I like)

I'm still struggling with when to get food as well. I figure that I can make hummus in about 10 minutes, so that will be last minute. Muffins and soup are made already. I'll probably just keep a supply of meat, cheese, and veggies on hand for the last few weeks---it will make for easy lunches. I'm going to shop more often and not get to 'empty fridge' stage like I do now.

I'm also going to ask my midwife if anyone on her team has food allergies--not that I"m going to cater to them but I want to have something for everyone.
#3 of 20 Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 PM

I've had 2 HB's. It depends on your attitude, but i am generally of the type which doesn't summon the midwife until i really need her (both times within an hour or two of the birth) so for me i didn't actually need food for the MW during the labour. Obviously if you're going to want the MW there for the whole labour (i tend to decide i need them NOW just as transition begins and by the time they come i'm ready to push) you'll need more on hand to feed her, and possibly a shift-change of people to cook/care for the MW while she cares for you.

This first time they were NHS and refused all sustenance until after the birth (94mins after they got there, BUT it was a shock, they were doing a VE to see if i'd gone into active labour 15mins before she was born), and then had a cup of tea and a slice of cake afterwards with the rest of us (i also had toast made for me, though i find it very hard to eat right after birth). The second time the MW walked in, unpacked, watched me catch the baby, did all her stuff and then had a coffee and a bacon sandwich my dad had made (he made us all one) as it was breakfast time.

I myself had nothing during DD1's labour and a few spoonfuls of yogurt during DD2's. I had all these isotonic energy ice cubes made up, i just put them all down the sink a few days ago in fact!

So i guess my advice would be to have plenty of food on hand and a person who can cook it (your mom) - simple stuff, eggs, bacon (if you eat that), biscuits, bread, muffins (frozen is fine if they will microwave nicely). I had my MIL bring a huge pot of soup over right after DD2 was born, and that got shared and enjoyed by us all too. Another thing i liked was meat - in the days after the birth i could stomach protein much more easily than carbs for some reason, so DH went out a few times to buy rotisserie chicken, next time i plan on roasting and stripping a few joints of different meats and freezing the meat, ready sliced. Think about what you LOVE to eat and have that on hand in case you don't feel like eating much after the birth.
#4 of 20 Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 PM

If it's for you, I'd skip the lemonade until after (it will be heavenly then!). I find acidic things aren't great when you're in labor.

Definitely pick up some Recharge ("natural" version of gatorade). And make yourself a super strong quart of pregnancy tea to drink as soon as labor begins.

I always keep trail mix & muffins on hand for everyone, but a meal has never been necessary.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#5 of 20 Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
By sheer coincidence, I had a big pot of leftover lima beans and cornbread the day my 'active' labor began. It was perfect to heat and eat (for everyone, MW included) and also carb heavy and high protein, and mild flavored, which is absolutely perfect labor food! You don't want anything fatty or heavy sitting in your stomach (or coming back up).

I also had grocery shopped the day before and had tons of breads, cheeses, almond butter, etc that was a hit.

I must admit though, the cheese and crackers along with a cup of OJ after DS was born was THE BEST I've ever had in my life!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#6 of 20 Old 10-08-2010, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just keep a stocked fridge towards the end, stuff for sandwiches, breakfast, etc... My 3 babies have been in cooler weather times, Jan, Oct, and April so I almost always have a pot of soup, chili, or beans the the fridge that someone could eat. My MWs usually don't hang out for hours and hours, 1 did eat once but after DD2 was born I really wanted a pizza so DH went and grabbed one. We have never ended up eating anything that I bought for the birth actually during it or right after.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 20 Old 10-08-2010, 01:45 PM

We will have several freezer meals that I will decide warm up based off how I'm feeling then.

I plan on having fresh fruit, veggies and dip, cheese and crackers and some light juices and powerade around for me to eat. Just light fluffy stuff.

I will be making (well unthawing and putting in oven) 2 pumpkin pies i've already made as birthday cakes for the babies for after they are born.

I REALLY want them to be born black friday so we can enjoy all the left overs from thanksgiving

Mama to a zoo!
#8 of 20 Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Someone told us to keep honey around for "transition" to give the momma an extra boost of energy.

When I started hearing my wife say that the baby was turning and hearing the magic words, "I don't think I can do this" I asked one of the doulas to bring us a tablespoon of honey. I gave it to my wife and she thought it was a wonderful boost.

Christian, father of Santiago (HB 9/6/10) and loving husband to Wendy.
#9 of 20 Old 10-10-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopaco View Post
Someone told us to keep honey around for "transition" to give the momma an extra boost of energy.

When I started hearing my wife say that the baby was turning and hearing the magic words, "I don't think I can do this" I asked one of the doulas to bring us a tablespoon of honey. I gave it to my wife and she thought it was a wonderful boost.
I second this, it was really helpful to me as well.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#10 of 20 Old 10-11-2010, 12:22 AM

I had similar things on hand like what was already said (crackers, cheese, fruit, bread, ...) but I'm unfamiliar with coconut water.

One of my midwives requested that I have hot coffee on hand - for the protection of the perineum (warm washcloth on the area).

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#11 of 20 Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomof4 View Post
I had similar things on hand like what was already said (crackers, cheese, fruit, bread, ...) but I'm unfamiliar with coconut water.
It is great for replenishing fluids, has a lot of natural electrolytes.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#12 of 20 Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I had:
Grape juice
labor-ade (lemonade with salt and baking soda and calcium added)
Triscuits
Cheese
Nuts
Graham Crackers
Cereal
Lunchmeat sandwich
Pasta, chicken, and veggie dinner (long labor, I kept eating normally)
Lots and lots of water during pushing

In the morning afterward we had cinnamon rolls and scrambled eggs (planned those cinnamon rolls ahead to look forward to). If I had baby in the daytime I wanted to order Chinese food after, it was one of the few things that agreed with me during pregnancy so that sounded good as a post birth plan.
#13 of 20 Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 PM

I snacked on yogurt, plain crackers, water and an assortment of Recharge drinks. The midwives said to get a couple of flavours in case one didn't taste good to me at the moment.

I didn't worry about what DH or MW would eat - they were on their own. LOL We had the baby at 5:30 am and I am pretty sure DH was living on mountain dew at that point.

I would also think bone broth/ chicken broth would be a good choice. Full of minerals and easy to sip.

Rhianna
#14 of 20 Old 10-14-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post
I would also think bone broth/ chicken broth would be a good choice. Full of minerals and easy to sip.
Awesome idea! I think I'll freeze chix broth in small increments (muffin tin maybe)--just enough to pop in a coffee mug and reheat.
#15 of 20 Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 PM

I have no idea what we had on hand for Nathan's birth (4 years ago). I called the midwife about 6:30am and I don't think anyone was up for breakfast until after the delivery (quarter after 9) and I remember my husband made scrambled eggs (and probably some other stuff, too). The midwife and her assistant were out of there in time to go to lunch

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#16 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

I'm having a Summer Baby. rainbow1284.gifcoolshine.gifI'm about 10ish weeks right now, so even thinking about food is making me nauseous! Hahaha....But I am a thinker, planner and nester so I mentally prepare everything from the start! :P

~Watermelon! I CANNOT WAIT for it!!!! I plan on having that during delivery.stillheart.gif And as soon it hits the market. I'll Prob have 1 a day! winky.gifAh! YUMMY!

~Popcicles. I love the idea of making your own out of Coconut Water or Gatoraide or fruit juice.lightbulb.gif

~Honey! I wanna get some of those honey sticks.yummy.gif

If the midwife and DH are hungry during Labor, there is always sandwich stuff around. I don't think I will stomach them eating in front of me though.

I prob wont eat during labor, and if it's like the previous 2, It will be thru-out the night and last about 9 hours. But I will be ravenous after so:

~An Italian Pasta Salad with Some Beans and Veggies Tossed in. Super Easy, One Pot Meal. Healthy, Summery and Tastes good Hot or Chilled

~A fruit salad with melon and Strawberries, bananas, peaches, grapes....Mixed with Yogurt. (Good for mornings)

~Even though it sounds gross now, and i will try to type it out with out spewing...grossedout.gif...If it's breakfast-time I will prob want something like eggs and waffles and applesauce with milk and or juice and fruit. And If it's a heartier meal I'm after, I'm thinking something like meatloaf with potatoes and peas....Both meal Ideas are rather quick, meatloaf especially if you prepare the meat and just pop it in when needed.....Blagh gotta stop talking about that now....

Just Don't Forget Bendy Straws and Paper Plates, and cups and disposable utensils!!!!

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#17 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 10:55 PM

We birthed at a birth center, but I labored at home through the night before I went in. During labor I drank A LOT of water and RLT, and I wanted to eat breakfast-type foods.

Here is a list of foods that I ate:

1. Leftover Quinoa

2. Leftover pureed carrot soup (carrots, onions, and water blended together)

3. Oatmeal

4. Frozen waffles

Before leaving the house, DH ate a breakfast of 2 Ezekiel muffins (previously frozen and placed in the toaster oven) with PB.

While in the birthing tub I continued to drink lots of water - with a straw.

After the birth I was given a large glass of OJ, and then my MW made me a placenta smoothie with OJ, frozen berries, frozen mango, cinnamon, honey. (It was delicious. Everyone was amazed at how my color and energy perked right up.)

Shortly after that I drank Lemon flavored Recharge and I was given Rescue Remedy Bach Flower Remedy. My husband ate an Odwalla protein bar and he drank a Recharge too.

My first meal was a soup  that I had made several months before and froze. It was Koi-Ku-Ku, a Japanese Macrobiotic soup that is recommended for after childbirth. It's made with burdock, carrots, and fish. Later on, the birth center had a meal delivered for us - Chinese take-out - including a salmon dish and veggies.

#18 of 20 Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Since my EDD is in the middle of April and it is still a little chilly at that time of the year where we live I am thinking of making homemade chicken soup and freezing it prior to the arrival time. Then when I being to labor I can just plop it in the crock pot on low and let it defrost/warm up without having to worry about it. I can set bowls and spoons on the counter along with a loaf of multi-grain bread, that way DH, MW and assistant can just help themselves. We always have a bunch of veggies with chips and crackers and cheese in the house....so that will be available as snacking foods. I usually bake some sort of muffin, sweet bread or fruit struedle that I keep out on the counter throughout the week to grab and go, so there's the "dessert" option.

I know that after giving birth to my daughter, a plain turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato on whole wheat bread was absolute heaven! I was still "in another world" for a good hour or two post-birth and think that the sandwich was the only thing that I could manage to hold and feed to myself while cradling the newborn that was happily nursing. That and a plate of cinnamon graham crackers and apple juice...which I drink constantly anyway (up to 2 gallons a week!).

#19 of 20 Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM

Toward the last few weeks of pregnancy, I kept the house stocked with stuff for the labor/delivery...for myself though, not for the midwives (they told me not to bother having anything for them, and they brought all their own food/drinks). Something I found totally handy were juice boxes, easy to sip, and great for the first days of nursing. I had some chocolate almond milk during labor, that was great. decaffeinated coffee for the early weeks of breastfeeding. Also hot chocolate. As for food, during labor I ate toast with butter, some yogurt, a banana, and water. But afterward I was starved, I ate everything anyone brought me, including half an avocado, hard boiled eggs, a peanut butter sandwich, juice, water...and then I called up my cousin to go get chinese take-out!

#20 of 20 Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 AM

For my birth I had-

Yogurt

Peanut butter balls (peanut butter, honey, milk and raisins. mixed together and then rolled into balls and kept in the fridge)

Mini peanut butter sandwiches (I really love peanut butter)

Kashi bars

And then my MIL brought hand made speghetti and home made sauce for supper. My MW and her assistant brought their own sancks, and we have a local restaraunt just a few blocks from us and they walked up there and ate while we had some alone time.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page