Arnica - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm preparing for my homebirth and keep hearing about arnica (that it's great to have on hand specifically). I"m wondering what exactly it's used for and what it does? I would really appreciate hearing any personal experiences with it too. Thanks ladies for helping this momma out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-10-2010, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Arnica is a homeopathic remedy for bruising, swelling, etc. It increases blood flow and promotes healing of the tissues. (Don't use it topically on broken skin, but orally is fine.) My MWs have administered it to me after births, particularly more physically traumatic ones, and I use it at home *all* the time with my boys. It makes a distinct difference in the speed of healing of goose eggs and such on my rough-and-tumble boys. Definitely recommend it for a wide variety of uses!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#3 of 9 Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
#4 of 9 Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I used a non homeopathic version, an infusion oil (in olive or grapeseed or something), applied directly to a swelling cervix and tissues during a too intense 2nd stage. Within minutes it reduced swelling and baby was suddenly able to pop out, literally crowned and head out in 1 contraction.
#5 of 9 Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 PM

That's awesome, Jamie! Herbal arnica massage oils are also great for sore muscles after labor.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#6 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 12:18 AM

I received it for any bruising or swelling after the birth. My wonderful midwife *may* have given it to baby also. I thought it was just standard and that most midwives gave it
#7 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 AM

I am an Arnica believer too! My widmife gave it to me and my son after his tramatic birth. He had quite a bruis from hitting my pelvic bone repeatadly and she gave him one and a couple hours later when we took him home he was right as rain!

If nothing else, it has a great placebo effect. I not saying the homopathic does not work but it is a great way to give something safe to your child and help them calm down.

I have used the Arnica gel many times including on my 86 year old granny who feel and had some wicked bruising. She thought the stuff was wonderful. Make sure you read the label on the gel's though because some are not supposed to go on broken skin.
#8 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM

That's awesome, Jamie! Herbal arnica massage oils are also great for sore muscles after labor.

is it safe during pregnancy? Like as a massage oil for soar feet and legs and back and things?

I have the gel for dd when she gets bruises and its great.
i've never heard of arnica massage oil
#9 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Yes, safe for pregnancy! I have used similar things for massaging my hips and SI joints. Helps a ton!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page