So much to consider!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-18-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My last two children were born 21 and 19 years ago in a hospital but with only midwives and NO pain meds. or IVs so I want a homebirth this time. Right now since I am only 6w5D along I have only seen Ob and Assoc. MW there. My concern is what happens if you need to transfer to a hospital? Who takes over since the HB midwives aren't affiliated with them? Did anyone keep going to their medically affiliated midwife while still seeing a HB midwife?

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
My concern is what happens if you need to transfer to a hospital? Who takes over since the HB midwives aren't affiliated with them? Did anyone keep going to their medically affiliated midwife while still seeing a HB midwife?
If you need to transfer to a hospital, you would get whatever OB or MW (most likely OB) was on duty at that time. Much like a planned hospital birth (I had two, one with an OB and one with a MW, and I had never met either one before they assisted my births). They take over, your hb mw likely has no hospital affiliation. My own homebith midwife would, in the event of a transfer, accompany us as our doula. It was important to me that if we needed a transfer (we didn't) that she would stay with us. I would ask about that.
I did not see anyone else for the care of my last baby, only my homebirth midwife.

Happy pregnancy!!

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#3 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 AM

Some families do keep on seeing their OB/CNM practice during pregnancy, when planning a homebirth. In many cases, it means if you transfer care during/after labor, you will either get their care in hospital, or at least be 'an official patient of theirs'--which often makes transfer go a lot easier even if you do get some other oncall doc for care that day.
#4 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post
My concern is what happens if you need to transfer to a hospital? Who takes over since the HB midwives aren't affiliated with them? Did anyone keep going to their medically affiliated midwife while still seeing a HB midwife?
I believe this will all depend on the individual HB midwife. Most HB midwives, even though they don't have actual hospital privileges, have relationships with certain hospitals or have a hospital they prefer to transfer to (although obviously in an emergency transfer, you're going to the closest hospital regardless). They will still stay with you after the transfer, as a support person and advocate. You would then be in the care of whichever OB is on call. Lots of people do get "shadow care" from an OB or hospital CNM - that means they'll already have a chart on you, although I'm not sure what the other advantages would be...maybe you're less likely to get hassled if the hospital isn't HB friendly?

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#5 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 PM

I'm planning my second home birth. I don't go to an OB or hospital MW. Just my HB MW. If she thinks I need a doctor, she will tell me so and help make the arrangements. If I transfer in an emergency, I would expect to get whatever OB is on call, as would happen in many hospital births anyway. And my MW would come along.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page