Christian Midwife Question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow....it just seems so odd that a mw would be at all uncomfortable with nudity, and seeing any-all female body parts!  Still--you found her an 'excellent mw', in the ways you needed her to be, so that's what really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama66 View Post

I had a very Christian MW with my third baby and the only issue I had was she was uncomfortable with my nudity during labor and when I was in my tub. She kept trying to cover my breasts/belly with a towel! But she was an excellent MW. She and her apprentice did say prayers after my  baby was born (I didn't have an issue with that) and all was fine.

Her life was based on scripture and she wore a bun, long home-made dresses and so on. Very prudish and uncomfortable about sexuality but nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Interesting topic.  Everyone's birth story is so unique, and I find myself actually hoping to find a midwife who shares my faith.  I certainly don't require it, but have a feeling it would help bring me comfort during the process.  Since many of you have mentioned discovering the mw was Christian after the fact (aka not advertised as such) I am curious if any may reside in the Greater Vancouver area? (BC, Canada)  Thanks,

Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Who was your midwife?  We are looking for a non-religious mw.  Thanks!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post

I'm not a Christian but my MW was. It was never an issue for us.

Ditto this.  Had 3 mws, all 3 christian, never been an issue.  The only way to know though is to ask. 

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 AM

It would really depend on the midwife. To be honest, if they mentioned it once in their bio, I wouldn't care. If they made it the primary focus and included scripture, I would look elsewhere. I just don't think it's professional to heavily advertise your faith. Similarly, if I met a midwife in her home and she dressed conservatively and had religious artwork, I wouldn't be bothered as long as she met my requirements. At the end of the day, I want a midwife who is experienced, comfortable with sexuality and the female body (duh, that's her job) who will be there to assist me in the process of bringing my baby into the world. After experience/knowledge, it all comes down to personality; I'd get along splendidly with an AP-oriented, laid-back Christian midwife while I would not be able to work with a more mainstream, high-stress atheist midwife. 

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

Old 03-28-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to give an update:

My friend had her daughter in early February and for reasons other then the midwife's faith, ended up with the hospital based CNM/OB group. Her baby was a sticky transverse and she had a c-section.

Thank you all for your insights, it's much appreciated.

autismribbon.gif

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIa View Post

I honestly don't mean to be offensive by this question, but I'm curious if other people have experienced this.

A close friend of mine is due in January. She's been seeing a hospital based cnm so far, but really wants to have a homebirth. So, she asked around about midwives and found 4 that serve her area. All but 1 of them are already booked for her due month. The 1 that is available seems very nice, but is very, very Christian. The thing is, my friend is an atheist and she's not sure how her (the midwifes) religious beliefs might come into play during her care. I've never been seen by a Christian midwife, so I'm not sure how it works. Is it even a big deal? Can my friend just tell the midwife her beliefs (if it comes up) and keep differences aside? What if the midwife tries to force her opinion on her? Should she keep looking for a different midwife (if even possible)?

Has anyone gone through this before?

TIA!

My experience was kind of the opposite - I am a christian who wanted a christian midwife, and all I could find were midwives who were not christian. I felt very conflicted about it, and it caused me to seek out a different midwife by the time my second pregnancy rolled around. 

I think it is proper to mention it to the prospective midwife that she is concerned about how their different beliefs might impact things.  If she has specific concerns, she should mention them upfront.  if the MW is not comfortable with it, it would seem a clear sign to seek out a different care provider.

Carrie

Carrie, wife to J, sahm to E, N, and A, followed by a bunch of crunchy labels and acronyms

Old 04-01-2011, 07:04 AM

My midwife is a Christian, as are my husband and I, and IIRC it didn't come up until I mentioned dh's band would be playing that weekend which led to a discussion of music (rock and Christian rock) and subsequently church.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Without reading responses here- I'll just put in my 2 cents.

It's good to get any beliefs out onto the table during the initial consultation so that you know that you and your midwife are a good match.

I, personally, am Christian. A Majority of the midwives out here are not. They go with very very Eastern philosophilcal mindframes, and while I believe the natural ways are best, I do not believe in the religious philosophies behind them.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'really really Christian' because... honestly, lots of people do weird things in the name of Christianity. My grandma is Catholic and believes that my kids are doomed for hell if they dont get baptised as babies and they die- however we have never seen anything mentioned in the Bible about baptising babies or about people going to hell if they dont get baptised, and believe it's a personal acceptance and choice you make when you understand it.  I think it's generally a good idea to get a feel for what philosophies the midwife has and where it plays into her birth. If she wants to 'baptise' the baby before they leave or... I dunno, lol- again Im not sure what her practices are, but this is why your friend should just ask her questions about her practices and get it out on the table. :)

-Jyn, Blessed mom of Abbie ('99), Gracie ('00), AngelBaby ('01), Danny ('02), Jacob ('03), Eva Bella ('06), Angel-Baby2 ('07), Emmalia ('09), Justus John Mark ('11), Jude Ellias Due 7-16-13

Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 AM

I know this thread is somewhat old, but I really appreciated the varying honest responses from so many mamas. I'm a Christian, and on my way to becoming a midwife, and I have wondered for some time about the receptivity of clients in regard to knowing of their midwife's beliefs, and comfort levels with opposing worldviews, etc. Thanks all!

User Tag List