Anyone know a homebirth midwife in upstate New York?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I've been looking and am hoping that since the new midwife act is now in place that someone will pop up. I'm due in early January and really want a homebirth. If anyone knows someone in or willing to travel to Jefferson county in upstate New York please please let me know. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Hey! I'm in Upstate NY, and here is who I know in the area. I don't know if they're all still taking people, or if they'd drive to Jefferson County in Upstate NY in January (eek) but you've got Michelle Doyle in Troy (localcaremidwifery.com), Jenna Houston in Saugerties and River and Mountain with the Susans around Gardiner.

I used Michelle for my last birth, and I absolutely love her and think her care is phenomenal. So, I'd absolutely recommend her if you're in the area that she covers and if she's got the space. Best of luck!!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 PM

I have a friend in Ithica who had a hb. Is that close to you?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 11-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's a midwife in Canton (st. lawrence cty) but I think she travels pretty far. Apparently there's also an OB or family doctor up there (also canton afaik) that does home births? I'm not totally clear on that, though.

OH! There's also one near syracuse, I think? Eta... yep... this one: http://www.facebook.com/pages/George...25564397494035

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=loveneverfails;16012497]Hey! I'm in Upstate NY, and here is who I know in the area. I don't know if they're all still taking people, or if they'd drive to Jefferson County in Upstate NY in January (eek) but you've got Michelle Doyle in Troy (localcaremidwifery.com), Jenna Houston in Saugerties and River and Mountain with the Susans around Gardiner.
QUOTE]

I'm sure all of these are too far to travel to you - Michelle's service radius is about an hour in any direction from Troy; the Susans in Gardiner turned me down because I'm too far from them, and I'm just outside the town of Catskill - and Jenna Houston is on sabbatical, opening a clinic in Haiti with her husband, who is an OB/GYN. I'm due in January and working with Michelle Doyle, who is FANTASTIC. She is totally linked in with the network of MW across NY state, especially upstate, and I would recommend getting in touch with her through her website and asking if she has any recommendations for MW in your area.

Good luck!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies ladies. I've emailed a few people from the links but like was said, i doubt anyone is going to be willing to travel up here in January but I have to try! I'll get to the rest of them hopefully tomorrow when my son may be acting a little less insane... hopefully

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM

There is one in Theresa, one in Georgetown that was willing to come to Pulaski. The lady in Canton will work in Watertown but that is it, but she might be full for Jan.

here is the facebook for the one in Georgetown, she has a website but I don't have that right now

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Georgetown-NY/Family-Tree-Midwifery-Womens-Health-of-CNY/125564397494035

I will have to look up the others info again. The one in Theresa does births at her place though which didn't work for me and the one from Caton wouldn't come down here. Then I ended up with issue and so not going to have a homebirth at all

Wife to my hero, mom to 7 damsels, 1 lad, 1 pooches, 1 mousers, 5 hens

Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

thanks... meredith is willing to do my homebirth but i'd need to find an ob to agree to have a collabrative (sp?) relationship in case of transfer and was told by the group of midwives i am currently seeing that their ob will not do it.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM

Do you know the information for the Midwife in Canton who will travel to watertown? I have looked up her number online and the only number I can find is disconnected. Praying she is still around because I have been looking for a midwife who does hb's for a while, and I haven't had any luck :(

Old 07-20-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

did you already ask merideth?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:15 PM

If you are talking about Meredith in Georgetown, yes, I have talked with her. Overall, I feel that I am located too far from her. She is about 2 1/2 hours away from where I am at, and I don't know if we could afford the travel AND paying her AND a new baby all at once lol. Trust me, if we were closer, it would have been a done deal. I am praying that I don't have to do a hospital birth, I dont like the feeling of being out of control of the situation, and I trust myself more than most doctors. I would go unassisted, but this is my first child, and I am afraid my mind will uncontrollably turn on me with thoughts of bad things happening, so the support of a midwife would be ideal for me right now.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I  don't know anyone else I'm sorry! if you can't find someone you could always stay home as long as you feel comfortable (and if thats the whole time great lol). Good luck with everything and congrats on baby!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 AM

Hello!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Have you tried contacting Regina Willette? Here is her HealthGrades contact link: http://www.healthgrades.com/provider/regina-willette-x7k5d

Regina is great; maybe she can help. Wish we were closer.kid.gif

K.Michelle Doyle, CNM, NYS LM

Midwife specializing in homebirth

Local Care Midwifery, PLLC

Troy, NY 12180

K. Michelle Doyle, CNM, LM
May all babies be born into loving hands
Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Anyone know of any others? Maybe that will work between Watertown and Syracuse, Pulaski area?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Merideth is the only one I've heard of doing births in the Watertown area.

www.cnymidwife.com

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 PM

From my conversation with her she isn't working in the area at lest not for the time frame in question. 

Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 PM

Just wanted to keep this thread updated.

I just spoke with Merideth (Georgetown, NY) today and she does not travel up near Watertown any longer. She did for a short while when she first started her private practice b/c she had the bandwidth but now has too many local clients to make that feasible.

She also verified that Regina Willette (Canton, NY) has recently made it very very clear to her that she will no longer travel to Watertown anymore either.

If anyone knows of any other Watertown/Ft.Drum/Jefferson cnty homebirth options, then please do update! :)

SAHM to 2twins.gif (twin DDs, 6). One on the way Aug 14' joy.gif!!! Looking forward to (again!): belly.giffemalesling.GIFbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif Looking forward to (1st time!): stork-suprise.gifhomebirth.jpgplacenta.gifencapsulation!

User Tag List