Mothering Forum banner

Need advice on how to prepare for a home birth

901 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  SusannahM 
#1 ·
Just found out I am pregnant! So this is a long ways away but I know that I want to have a home birth this time around. Can anyone give advice on how to find a midwife? How to find a prenatal care OB who is okay with home birth? I live in Salt Lake city utah so any advice pertaining to this area particularly welcomed. Thanks!

#2 ·
Congratulations!

Here is a listing: http://www.southwestdoulas.com/utah/locate.htm#midwives You can ask around for recommendations, doulas and other likeminded moms usually know what's available. Pick a few that sound good and interview them, see if your personalities and outlooks click and if you trust her experience and knowledge. It appears Utah has a great legal status for midwives: licensure offered and it's voluntary. As such there are lots of people to chose from. I'd ask the midwife you like if she recommends you get OB shadow care, if there's anyone she'd suggest. If you don't have complications an OB isn't really needed unless you really want it, especially in an area that legally embraces midwifery.

#6 ·
#8 ·
When looking for a midwife, the best advice I could give you interview as many as you can and go with your gut - who feels like the best match for you, who you feel the most comfortable with and whose philosophy best matches your own. Talk to other homebirthers, ask what they liked and didn't. Shopping around is a GOOD thing - you are a consumer of healthcare - don't forget it! :)

Happy pregnancy to you!

#9 ·
Just another comment that you don't need an OB. AMA & ACOG officially oppose HB, so OBs who are outspokenly accepting of HB are going to be rare.

Not necessary anyway. With MWs being legal in your state, your MW should be able to handle things like ultrasounds for you if you want them - so you'll never need to see any other care provider. I've chosen a CPM, who is illegal here in Maryland, & she couldn't get me ultrasounds, but I just saw the hospital-based CNMs I saw for my DS birth. I told 2 of the 4 in the practice who I know are HB-friendly (my MW knows them) & they're totally supportive, but they haven't put it in my chart that I'm planning the HB since the docs who practice together with them may give them a hard time.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

I don't see an OB. It is part of the MW's job to determine if I need an OB. I wouldn't want to deal with an OB unless I had to.
I'm seeing an OB that only attends births at home. They exist.
Wow!
yikes.gif
That is very cool. Good to know that they are out there. Are you in the US?

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

Quote:

Wow!
yikes.gif
That is very cool. Good to know that they are out there. Are you in the US?
I am! He's awesome and certainly more hands off than many local midwives. I feel very lucky.
Wow - I'm astounded! Really astounded. Does he have anyone who will back him up? OBs on the whole tend to oppose HB, so I can imagine his OB colleagues aren't too supportive (of course he might have a MW as back-up in case he's at another birth, which is great.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.