gift for homebirth midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd like to get a gift for my midwife. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not super crafty so I'd prefer to buy. I was thinking something practical that she'd use a lot, but I"m open to suggestions!

#2 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM

I gave my midwife and nurse each a starbucks gift card, a card with a picture of the baby on it, and a bottle of Earth Mama Angel Baby natural stretch oil.  I had a bottle for me that they used during my labor for the doppler and exams and they both really liked it so I bought them each one for their birth kits.

#3 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 PM

A travel mug? I know my MW doesn't drink coffee, but she drinks a lot of tea and I thought having a hot beverage on the way to a middle of the night or early morning birth would be a good thing.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#4 of 12 Old 11-16-2010, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I got my midwife a gift certificate to my favorite local restaurant.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#5 of 12 Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Last time I bought my mw a children's book for her lending library, "Angel in the Waters" and I pasted a picture of DH, DD, the baby, and me right after the birth on the inside with a little note.  This time, I purchased a copy of the new edition of "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" for my mw's lending library.  I'll probably put a picture inside with a note like I did last time.

Holistic Midwife likes this.
#6 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 PM

I am a midwife and some of the best gifts folks have gotten me are: massages, cases of wine, symbolic jewelry, such as these super cool 'crowning' earrings

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=C409RW6

#7 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm a midwife too (hi Zangua!) and two thumbs up on a massage!!!! I'm not a drinker, so I'm a little sad when I get a bottle of wine. I smile, say thank you, and regift it.

Another great gift is referrals!!! I also keep a file of the really heartfelt thank you letters-and I read them when I have those days when I wonder why I do this!!!

#8 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 AM

We are contemplating getting a "Homebirth Kit" from plan canada which sends a kit in her name to a village requiring safe homebirth supplies. 

That or a beautiful print by a friend of ours, titled "the midwife" for her to hang in her clinic. 

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#9 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrymamma View Post

We are contemplating getting a "Homebirth Kit" from plan canada which sends a kit in her name to a village requiring safe homebirth supplies.

LOVE that! So awesome.

Also like the book suggestions. My MW has a lending library too. She hadn't even heard of the book, "Exercising through your pregnancy," but was interested & wrote down the title when I mentioned it, so I could get that. Not sure if she has the new "Womanly art of BF" but even if she does, I've heard it's great & probably worth having another copy.

When did you all give the gifts? Is this for holiday gifts, or for "thank you" after birth - like at the 6 week PP check up?

#10 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I recently got an ad from Bed, Bath and Beyond and noticed they had gift sets with an assortment of tea bags. I'm considering possibly getting one for my midwife since I recently did a prenatal appointment at her house and saw her awesome selection of teas so I know she's a tea drinker.

The thought of a book for the lending library is a great idea.

Although if I do buy my midwife a gift, I'll have to keep it quiet since my hubby will likely think it is enough that we are paying her fee. eyesroll.gif

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#11 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

Although if I do buy my midwife a gift, I'll have to keep it quiet since my hubby will likely think it is enough that we are paying her fee. eyesroll.gif

This is how mine feels about our doula...alas, I'm pretty into the idea of gifting something to both the MW and the doula. Luckily the MW's here are covered by our health care system. 

For my last MW and doula...I brought the gift for the MW to my 6wk PP appt. My doula was given hers when she came to meet the baby. For them I did a massage gift certificate, they both loved it. Good idea to get the gifts before the birth...nice to be prepared.  Although, we haven't got ours yet this time...so who am I to talk!redface.gif

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#12 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrymamma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

This is how mine feels about our doula...alas, I'm pretty into the idea of gifting something to both the MW and the doula. Luckily the MW's here are covered by our health care system. 

Our insurance will hopefully cover a large portion of the fee but we won't know until who knows how long after the birth. We do have to pay the midwife a portion of her fee by 36 weeks but I'm hopeful that we will get reimbursed later.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page