Homebirth Mama's March 26 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 163 Old 03-31-2004, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I KNOW how many grams I'm getting? I mean, I know SOME things, like sandwich meat or the like have a listing on the nutritional contents label...but what about a chicken thigh? Or a 1/4lb hamburger...or spaghettie sauce with meat?

I eat between 3 and 6 SERVINGS (as noted in the food pyramid) of protein each day...is that enough? Someone enlighten me, please.

Abby
#62 of 163 Old 03-31-2004, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Some of it is guesswork, if there isn't a label. If it's 3 oz of meat, I'd guess it's between 20 and 30 grams. One serving of pasta is maybe 10 grams.
#63 of 163 Old 03-31-2004, 03:51 PM

I don't care what I eat as long as it stays down! Last pg I ate ice cream the whole way through.

It's funny with #1 I watched my diet and was telling people at the end of 1st trimester. #2 I cared a lot less about my diet and didn't discuss my pg until after 20 weeks. Now with #3 - I don't do a single thing differently and I think I'm not REALLY pg until 3rd trimester.
#64 of 163 Old 03-31-2004, 03:54 PM

I'm trying to eat a lot of protein but not sure of exactly how many grams a day I am eating. I pretty much always try to eat some protein each time I eat. Like if I want crackers, I'll have some cheese too. I eat a lot of: cheese, peanut butter, milk, beans and nuts. I need to start eating more eggs now that I am feeling less pukey all the time.

I'm so sorry to hear that so many of you are sick or have been sick. Please oh please let it stay away from here.

Maria, so glad to hear your midwife has surfaced and even more happy to hear that you are so calm and positive about everything!! I'm looking forward to reading your birth story soon.

Harriet, argh! My dh is such a sissy when he is sick too. It drives me nuts and I have very little patience for taking care of him. I hope, for your sake, that he doesn't come home early and gets to work Saturday.

Welcome Karen!

Molly, oh Molly, how did it go?

Same old same old here,

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#65 of 163 Old 03-31-2004, 03:58 PM

I think I remember the Tom Brewer diet website www.blueribbonbaby.org having approximations of protein amounts on their recommended servings... You can probably also just do a search for pregnancy + protein + grams on google and get some good hits.

Will type more later... meeting a friend for lunch and doing some planning for my mother blessing...

warmly,
claudia
#66 of 163 Old 03-31-2004, 04:54 PM

Yes it sucks when our support becomes little f-ing babies because they get sick. Mine was actually a quiet well behaved patient with this stomache flu thing. Good thing too, because as I was taking care of the kids, i could feel something creeping into me. It arrived, luckily not the puking part, but I have been in bed sleeping all day while semi-sick dh entertains ds. All I can think about is how it would suck to go into labor when anyone in the house is feeling like this.

The weather had better get nice again so that we can disinfect the place before i really do go into labor. 39ish weeks now, it really won't be too long

Oh about protien- i get way less than the recommended amount but know that the baby, a tad bit small, is growing and thriving. Also mw checks my pee and there has only been slight trace amounts now and then of protien in it. She is not concerned-- i have been very healthy until this bug.......
peace all-- maria
#67 of 163 Old 03-31-2004, 05:30 PM

I'm so sorry for all you sick mamas! I had the up-all-night-puking-stomach-flu about 12 days before the baby was born, and it was awful! I was soooo sick. (then dh got a very mild case, and I also had to deal with the sissy-sick dh!!).

I never counted protein grams, I just tried to eat a well balanced diet.

maria, I'm thinking of you and sending you peaceful birthing vibes! your baby will be here very soon! (but not until you're all well!)

I am so ready for nice weather too! I really want to get these kids outside to play.

well, I hear my baby calling me.

peace mamas

namaste.gif

#68 of 163 Old 03-31-2004, 05:37 PM

I become a total wuss when I'm sick. I won't do ANYTHING! Dh has to do all the chores and if we're both home, he does everything for dd too. I just lie around and once in a while yell "More ice cream!" Fortuantely this is what he insists on.

It sucks when we're both sick, though, because then we're both like that. "I'm not doing the dishes; I'm sick!" "Yeah, well I'm sick too!"

DD is a little sniffly and frustrated but isn't really sick like me. When I'm not pg I get over illness in exactly 4 days, but it seems to be taking a little longer now.
#69 of 163 Old 03-31-2004, 07:05 PM

Is anybody else having problems with not enough weight gain? I'm almost 20 weeks along and I think I've only gained two pounds. I was severely underweight at the beginning, 105lbs at 5'5, which means I still am since I only weigh 107 now. I don't have the kind of appetite you would expect a pregnant woman to have, so i just drink a lot of protein shakes to make up for it. I need something to stimulate more of an appetite. I know licorice works, but that's off limits to preggo's becaouse it raises blood pressure. I hate to eat, but I really need to try to gain more weight. I should probably also explain that the reason I hate to eat is because i have so many food sensitivities that all my favorite foods are off limits to me now (dairy, wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, sugar). Any suggestions?

I guess I really shouldn't worry. I only gained like 25 lbs with ds #1 and he was born weighing almost 8 lbs. I was slightly underweight that time as well. It's so easy to get all freaked out because you're not average even though things really are fine.

Sorry to hear there's so many with the stomach bug, yuck! What an awful thing to endure while gestating!
#70 of 163 Old 04-01-2004, 01:44 AM

Thanks for all the input on food protein. One midwife I interviewed told me that my ds was big at birth because I ate too many carbohydrates, and not enough protein during my last trimester. So I think that's why I'm concerned. I just thought I grew a big baby (9lbs. 4 oz), until I met with her. I actually left her office feeling a little guilty that I didn't provide my ds the right nutrition in the womb.

Greaseball - Do you live in Portland? Sounds like you found a good pediatrician that is supportive of homebirth! Wow, we're looking for a supportive pediatrician. We haven't found one who is supportive of AP and our decisions on vaccines. Also, what protein bars have you found that taste good? I haven't found any that don't really taste like chalk.:LOL

Hope everyone is having a good week!
#71 of 163 Old 04-01-2004, 02:29 AM

I thought eating protein could grow a big baby? That's why I'm doing it! Of course, I eat a lot of carbs too. What's wrong with 9 lbs 4 oz? That doesn't sound too big at all.

I'm actually in Corvallis.

I like Odwalla's protein bars. They make one with 16 grams. There are some bars that have as much as 30 grams but they don't taste as good and are very high in sugar as well.
#72 of 163 Old 04-01-2004, 03:31 AM

I always have trouble getting enough protein, mostly because I just prefer carbs I've had a horrid egg aversion since being very sick at Thanksgiving and losing my breakfast, but it finally seems to be letting up, thank goodness. My dad loves Promax bars, and I tried one of his Black Forest cherry ones, and it was pretty good. I might get a stash of them to have on the mornings when I'm running around like crazy getting everyone to their proper places and don't have time to make anything. I got a little lecture today from one of my MW's about taking care of myself in the home stretch, I have intermittent trouble with ketones in my urine from going too long without eating, though I am eating much better than I usually do.

Anyway, besides my little lecture (which I knew was coming and I totally agree with!), she did a lot of palpating to figure out the babe's position. She is pretty sure she's feeling his tushy up top and feet around the middle, but couldn't get a good feel on the head (it seemed to be buried deep towards my back) so she couldn't say 100% that he's head down, but is pretty sure. And she reassured me that he's got time to get into his final position and not to worry. I'm not very worried, but I'll be happier when I'm sure he's down for good. Oh, they have confirmed one OB in the city who will do vaginal breech deliveries, so that is a huge relief! His staff kept saying that he wouldn't but they spoke to him directly and he said of course he will I should double check and see if he takes my insurance so I can have him for my back-up, which I have yet to get. Gotta call my family Dr tomorrow and get that straightened out.

Oh, got the huge list of birth supplies we need and I'm trying to figure out what we've got already and what can be gotten cheaper. I'm not totally concerned about how much everything costs, but so much of it is disposable and I'm not totally good with that. Speaking of which, has anyone used cloth pads soaked in comfrey and frozen or do the disposable ones work best for that??

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#73 of 163 Old 04-01-2004, 02:54 PM

I need to find a responsible someone who can be here for my kids during my labour and delivery.

My mom and dad are 1700 miles away and are NOT available to come. My MIL is OUT OF THE QUESTION as is BIL.

I have many friends, but they all have children or are pregnant and due around the same time as me!

I can't afford another doula (like a children's birth partner).

I've thought of many people, but while I've been feeling them out, I realise they've got TONS of their own beliefs and or tensions about homebirth in general and I don't want all that negative energy around at the birth.

DH will be there, god willing, but he's having a baby too, ykwim, so he's not going to be able to be there for the kids.

My midwife said if I can't find anyone else, that I could consider asking her daughter who is like 13 or so...she' s been at births, and from what I've heard, is amazing! BUT...again, I would feel like I have to pay her, and I just don't have any more cash!

SO...what can I do? I've thought of calling up the doula instructor at a local college to see if there is anyone there who would like to attend a homebirth...NOT get credit for it, but be there for my kids in a way that THEY need. It is definately a job worthy of pay...if only I were rich! If only my friends didn't have kids....if only we could PLAN when I went into labour so I'd know if my friends partners could watch their children freeing up my friends for my kids.

Sigh.

Anyone have an idea????

Thanks,
Abby
#74 of 163 Old 04-01-2004, 03:01 PM

Maybe you could pay the midwife's daughter in something other than cash, like a gift basket of homemade goodies or something. Maybe crafts, if you do that sort of thing, or flowers...?
#75 of 163 Old 04-01-2004, 07:19 PM

Have you considered letting the 9 yo be in charge? is he not able to do that? Some kids at that age can and some cannot. My 8 yo dd is in charge of her brother age 5 during the birth. She has seen all kinds of pictures and kinda knows what to expect but she definately can turn on the oven and pull something out of the freezer for her brother. I know a 2 yo is a bit more difficult than the 5 yo I have, but it is a thought... given the time and 'training' maybe your little family will be enough!!!!!!!!!1
good luck and know that something will work out!!!!!!!
Peacefully awaiting #3 any day now--maria
#76 of 163 Old 04-01-2004, 11:28 PM

I have a friend who is pregnant and due 6 weeks before I am that is most likely going to watch my kids while Im in labor. My midwife said she thinks that will be fine because the baby will most likely sleep through everything and if not asleep can be nursing. Would that be an option for you or are all the babies going to be a lot older than that?
#77 of 163 Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 PM

im so sorry i havent posted a lot recently. i am doing fine... tired... getting big.

im 29 weeks now.

truthfully ive been not feeling like posting cause ive been really moody and withdrawn and i know that it is good for me to honor my mood. ive also been really busy sewing and preparing and nesting.

i was hoping someone here would volunteer to take all of the info and pics from the site and transfer them to a yahoogroup. Any one here have the time or inclination? It would be really easy, and free, and would also provide a way to get in touch. with the whole group all at once. Just dowload the pics from the current site and upload them to the files section?

Im sorry i have been less than social and promised to do the site and now am feeling hermitty.

Well, let me know how you all feel about it. I understand if youre upset! I am a slave to my moods when not pg, its only worse when i am!

anyway i hope no one was worried, thanks for the pm s and so on... i am in good health. although i am anemic, but we are working on that. that may in fact be part of my mood issue.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#78 of 163 Old 04-02-2004, 12:02 AM

I don't know what we are going to do with dd either. My sister had planned to come down to be with her, then I find out she won't be here until the day before I'm due! So it will work if I deliver on or after the due date, but if she can't be there and it doesn't work out I will call dh's parents and have them pick up dd.

Everyone I know is a student. I'm not calling students and asking them if they would like to come by in the middle of finals week when I don't know what day it will be or how long it will take!
#79 of 163 Old 04-05-2004, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow! It's really been dead in here! I'm 29 weeks pregnant today... I can't beleive how fast time is going!! I *think* the baby is spending more time head down... I've had more & more pubic bone pain the past week or so. My belly button is starting to pop out!! It seems to depend on what position the baby is in, still though.

We've had a really busy weekend... I feel like I'm being really productive these days, but when I think back, there really isn't much *I've* done. Nesting has somewhat of a supervisory twist in this household:

DH bought a cover & chain for the barbecue, and put it on the front porch (it had been kept in the garage & was a real hassle to pull out every time to use) I'm going to premarinate & freeze a variety of meat for after the baby is born. Barbecue is so quick & easy (and yummy)

DH installed a swing gate on the door to the kitchen. DS has figured out that if he runs top-speed into the pressure one, it pops out of the door frame... *sigh* I figure kid-containment will be doubly important when I'm immoblizied on the couch with a nursing baby (although I've heard lots of moms learn how to walk & nurse a second baby at the same time?!)

Did you know you can order extra hardware for swing gates, so you can move them from place to place? I did that just this morning... I wish I had known months ago!!

I took down our Christmas lights and puttered in the garden. It seems of utmost impotance that we have flowers this year, for the baby. My gardening plans have expanded from bedding plants in the backyard, to include hanging baskets on the front porch. I'll have to get DH to buy & install some ceiling hooks (see what I mean?)

I'm stranded at home, because the brakes on our truck are getting pretty sketchy. Fortunetly, I live within walking distance of most everything I'll need until next weekend, when DH can fix them (he takes transit to work, so thats not an issue either) DS & I will probably just play in the yard a whole bunch. DS has been quite a TV addict since we were sick & it's time to break that habit!!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#80 of 163 Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Mamas
For those of you looking for someone to care for your children during the labour/birth you might want to consider asking student midwives. Many of them are very enthusiastic to attend homebirths and Im sure wouldnt mind helping out in that aspect. My kids all watched the birth and were so good just sat and watched and they were all great, my dd cut the cord afterwards and videotaped. But it was nice to have my mom and sister there to help out, they cooked for the midwives and ran the bath for me and baby and did the laundry.
My dh is going to the urologist for his vasectomy consult today at the urologist .. THis is so hard for ME..ha I know Im so lucky to have 4 beautiful healthy children but I looove new babies sooo much if only i could have one that would stay little like this forever!
I took Maiya for her 6 week checkup at the m/w last wednesday and she is doing well and looks great but she only weighs 10'14 and she was 9'1 to start. She has grown about 5 inches in length and her head circumference is 2 inches bigger so she has stretched out. She is peeing and pooping fine too. I was feeling really good untill i heard that then i worried a bit. My midwife attributed it to the fact that she gets interupted in her feedings alot because i have to attend to my other kids, plus she has a little mouth so her latch isnt perfect but she will grow into it. Plus I'm of course not getting much rest. I think i had 2 naps since she was born and no help really after she was born, dh had 2 days off but seems like he had to have a nap those days : so I sent him back to work. So I have been trying to take it easy more and remember to drink more water and go upstairs to feed her so the boys cant get into so much mischief so she doesnt get interupted. But the m/w said in general because she is doing so well and alert, smiling and content they are not worried because some babies are just slow weight gainers.
I am sooooo in loooove with my little girl, she is so sweet and smily and we snuggle in bed all night long, she has been so easy and peaceful. I cant even express how much joy it makes me feel with the lovely smiles shes gives us now! My 4year old can't get enough of her smiles!
Well I need to get some work done, Im trying to earn enough extra money to be able to afford a digital camera!! Instead of always trying to borrow from relatives!
Well thats my novel for today sorry for rambling!
I hope everyone is doing well with babies in or out!
Tanja mama to Raven 11, Jakob 4, Ben 2, and baby Maiya !

~mykids~
#81 of 163 Old 04-07-2004, 11:40 PM

Hey, what's up all. I am just checking in. If I do not have this baby in the next two hours, very unlikely, I will officailly be OVERDUE.hahahahahalol

what is in a number anyway? The only impatient person is dd. I feel i could wait a few more weeks if I have to but boy is the 8 yo ready to play little mama. For her sake, I wished to have the baby on time as it is her school break, but as I keep telling her, she was 15 days past the edd, her brother was 6 days past the edd, sooooooooo we may have to chill out a bit!!!!

Anyone else feeling it would be okay to stay preggo a while longer? i know this is my last baby and I am starting to feel a bit sad about never feeling someone growing inside of me again. Also, as much as I want to see baby, i know that it is a lot of work and right now i am just enjoying my 2 big kids.
#82 of 163 Old 04-08-2004, 11:57 AM

Its nice to hear you all talking about savoring pregnancy as this is my first and likely my last (as of now, we only want one). It helps on the days when it feels like its going slow and I want it to speed up.

I have been feeling out of place as a hands off homebirther in my due date threads, I feel like I'm the only one who isn't getting an u/s. And at almost 19 weeks, I think I'm the only one who hasn't heard my baby's hb yet. I feel really good about my choices, just a little out of place I guess. I know you all can understand.

Well, just wanted to check in, hope all is well with everyone else!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#83 of 163 Old 04-08-2004, 12:14 PM

Maria! I'm thinking about you, and sending you peaceful and happy labor vibes (for when baby and you are ready )

I have heard other mamas say the same thing as you--that they'd be happy to stay preg for a while longer. I was so ready to be done, so I had the opposite experience, but I do know what you mean. I'm now feeling that, though, as I hold my newborn and know it's the last time for that. So, I hold her as much as possible and marvel at her beauty and wonder! I am so in love, for the 3rd time!

adventuregirl, I had a couple other homebirthers in my due date thread, as well as at least one UC'er. Are there ANY others in your thread at all? I do know what you mean? I was a bit surprised at how "medical" some of the mamas seemed to be, since this is MDC.

tanja, maiya sounds like she's doing just great! My dh will be off for his urologist consult very soon as well.

tabitha, hope you're doing well. here's a for ya!

peace mamas

namaste.gif

#84 of 163 Old 04-08-2004, 12:14 PM

Adventuregirl,

I too felt out of place on my due date thread but have found a happy home here with like minded folk who believe in the natural beauty of birthing.
#85 of 163 Old 04-08-2004, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Adventuregirl count me in too, on my expecting club thread i almost didnt exist, it was so weird i was almost getting a complex about it!! Seriously no one ever responded to anything I said and I was just being nice and socialable@@!!
Thinking of you too Maria!!

Its so nice to chat with mamas I have alot more in common with and I love the friendly support here!

Dh's vasectomy is May14, when he told me i started to cry because its so soon, he said it would be very financially irresponsible of us to have more children and left it at that. He said that afterwards he is supposed to lay on the couch allll weekend till monday and he will be fine.. Hmmm I dont remember getting to lay on the couch for 2 days after i had a baby@@!!! I dont know what we are going to do that weekend to stop 2 little boys from jumping on dad while he is laying on the couch, looks like im going to have to find somewhere else to spend the weekend!
Tanja
~me~
#86 of 163 Old 04-08-2004, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
2 DAYS?!? What a joke! Dig his cup out of his sports gear for him.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#87 of 163 Old 04-08-2004, 01:49 PM

adventuregirl, I'm active on another board altogether, and I'm the ONLY one that didn't have ultrasounds up the wazoo. Not that I had any, I have had none (doppler included of course).

I just heard the heartbeat at last through the fetoscope, at 35 weeks, and it was SO worth it! I've had stuffy ears this whole pregnancy, so I'm sure I could have heard it before with clear ears, but as it was I had to wait.

I decided to "go for it" and posted about how great it was to hear the heart itself, not a mechanical version of it. : The sound of silence and then the defensiveness ("doppler was an amazing sound, too!" and I had actually acknowledged that in my post) were stunning.

I'm so alone over there...but it's more active there and keeps the days interesting, so I don't leave.

I've been gathering my birth items, tonight I pick up the official "kit". I have to go count old towels, to see how many we actually need to buy (from Goodwill or something similar).
#88 of 163 Old 04-08-2004, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Harriet!! Your post made me smile! I remember reading your post about when your family was sick and i can totally relate!
What can i say dh is a super duper big lazy suck and such a hypochondriac and he would loooooooove to have an excuse to lay on the couch for 2.5 days without being yelled at. I said oo man if you are going to be laying around for 2 days at least stay upstairs in bed so i wont be responsible for keeping the kids off of you and he pouted and said well only if you bring my food to me in bed all weekend.. geez louise let me wipe your bum too!
Men!
After Maiya was born dh's boss gave him the week off with pay, the first day HE needed a nap all afternoon and the second day he spent trying to fix something on the computer after promising to take the boys somewhere. So on the third day i made him go back to work!
Even after my huge episiotomy with ds2 I was up and on my own all day taking care of the house and kids.
Tanja mama to Raven 11, Jakob 4, Ben 2 and baby Maiya!
#89 of 163 Old 04-08-2004, 02:11 PM

That's really not fair. And I don't even think it's true. All the literature I've read says men may need one day of taking it easy - take the day off work, no sex, no heavy lifting, etc. - not two days of bedrest!

How does he know you won't be able to afford more children later? If you don't even want him to have the vas then he shouldn't expect you to wait on him, especially if he did not wait on you when you needed it.

No wonder women are the ones who have babies...the divine power or whatever knew in advance men would not be able to handle it!
#90 of 163 Old 04-08-2004, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I know I know..! You can bet he will soak it up for all its worth after with the moaning and groaning.
Well what can i say, he is probably right that financially its not a great idea, we are just squeaking by right now with me staying home, and beleive me i have become the queen of frugal living and i havent bought myself a thing in forever!! Plus four kids is alot at times too, although i know the wild and crazy years are short. BUt as far as parenting responsibilities/housework go I do all of that myself, dont get me wrong he loooves us and is great that way, but he has never changed any baby diapers unless i was totally unavailable (he hasnt even changed maiyas diaper yet) He grew up in a home where mom did everything and dad worked and that was it so thats his model for life sadly. He is turning 39 next month so he feels thats too old for more kids (im'28 and feeling i would like at least one more)But maybe im just baby crazy.. Maiya is soooooooo lovely and soo sweet and she has been so easy. She hardly ever makes a peep and i have never even had to sit up at night with her, she just nurses and snuggles back to sleep with me. I am sooo in love with her!
If men ever had to have babies everyone would be only children!
Tanja

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page