Homebirth Mama's March 26 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 163 Old 04-12-2004, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oh Colleen, thank you for sharing that! I love the expression on the siblings faces when the head is out, it made me all weepy!

I start my 2 wk appts this week, it makes it all seem so close! We'll go over the birth kit this time, I'm having some issues with all of it. It seems like so much stuff that will be thrown away within hours of use so I want to know what each thing is for and really decide if it's neccessary to me.

I got to swim today, so lovely!! The baby was moving a lot while I was floating around, it was an odd feeling. Gotta get my fishy pool asap so I can do more floating. I won't be birthing in it, just setting it up in the back yard for the summer and will use it in labor if I feel like it.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#122 of 163 Old 04-12-2004, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rubelin, I agree! I swear, 90% of my birth kit ($40 worth) I didn't use at all. It is so worthwhile to go over each item, understand what's it for, and decide if it is something that you personally might need. For instance, for me the crock pot (which we don't have and would have had to buy) was totally unnecessary because no one was going to be holding warm wet washcloths against my perineum. The sports drink -- nope. Can't stomach the stuff. Etc.

So I am only starting the second trimester, and I just want to give birth RIGHT NOW! My friend just had her baby, and it just made me feel like there is no way I can possibly wait another half a year to do the same. Guess I have no choice, though, huh? Patience, patience!
#123 of 163 Old 04-12-2004, 01:24 PM

Funny about the crock pot. Once someone around here had enlightened us as to its likely use, we weren't going to get one. Then we were at Fred Meyer and they had smallish CP's on sale for $7.99.

So we bought it. Just couldn't pass up a crock pot for 8 bucks...it's not huge, but it will do for now!
#124 of 163 Old 04-12-2004, 01:41 PM

we just got our first crockpot this year, and it was nice for winter bean soups... i so often did beans from cans because i didn't want to be stuck with starting from dried and waiting all day (i don't leave the house with the stove on). but i can set up the cp and wander off for the day with no worries.

i think i used most of my birth kit stuff, but then again that was a few years ago and maybe they've gotten more complicated since then. i KNOW we used all the chux pads... we even broke into the stash of extras in the midwife's trunk. i guess i was just a messy birther!

baby's kicking sooo much now. i'm saying "he" a lot, and my dh noted that i'd said "she" mostly during the two pregnancies i miscarried... so maybe i DO know what we've got in there!

25 weeks today...

katje
#125 of 163 Old 04-12-2004, 01:57 PM

I never used the olive oil last time. I'm not sure how necessary it really is...
#126 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 12:52 AM

We actually got a crock pot for Xmas and have only used it a couple of times. I'm fine with having warm compresses, just would prefer to use some of the huge stack of cloth wipes I've made for the baby and not have to cut up an old towel into little squares, kwim?

I will have some oil, heard it works nice to pour a bit over the baby's head to help it ease out. I won't be having any perinium massage, though.

So last night it took an hour to get comfortable enough to sleep. I kept getting punched in the cervix! It hurts so much I actually got up at one point to check and make sure I wasn't bleeding! I was lying there so very uncomfortable thinking I have 8 weeks left and a thought came to me that this babe is coming early. It wasn't a worry thought, more like a matter-of-fact thought. It could be just because I can't imagine him having any more room to grow in there, lol!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#127 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 09:14 AM

Hey all-
WE DID IT!!!!!!
Baby boy born at home on monday am-10:32
7lbs,14oz

will post story in a few days
#128 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 09:46 AM

Congratulations Maria, and welcome to your boy!

namaste.gif

#129 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 10:12 AM

:

Yay Maria - Congrats
#130 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 10:54 AM

Congratulations Maria... welcome little one!
#131 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations~~!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Tanja
~mykids~
#132 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 12:08 PM

Congrats Congrats CONGRATS!!

I'm getting really excited to meet my little one...even though I'm 30 weeks...10 more to go (at least....)

I met with my doula for the second time last night. We watched an unassisted birth video. I'm not planning a UC, but there were ideas in it that really hit my heart...like not needing anyone to tell me what is going on with my labour. I know the process, I trust my body. It was good to see.

We also chatted about how I want this birth to be different from my last one. Ultimately it comes down to me wanting to feel supported, that I have an advocate who knows what I want and someone to guide me through the contractions with either guided imagery or breathing...something I didn't have last time. I was really trying to fight the pain of contractions, rather than go with them like I did in my first birth. Yeah, all in all, I want a more free birthing experience. I think I'll get that

Of course, I'm also excited because she's an herbalist and a reflexologist. Very good...very good. She's got many things in her bag of tricks I guess you could say. I feel confident that I've got the kind of labour support I need this time around.

Now if I could only figure out who will be caring for the kids!

Congrats again, Maria!

Abby
#133 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 12:20 PM

Congrats Maria
Peace and love to you and your family.
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#134 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 01:11 PM

Congrats Maria, and welcome to your perfect little boy!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#135 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 03:23 PM

Greetings Homebirthing Mamas!
I wanted to share my ecstatic birth experience with you all. Though I haven't been active in this thread, I have felt supported by reading MDC throughout my pregnancy.

Our daughter, Anwen, was born at home on March 28th 2004! She weighed 9 lbs. even. We have the most incredible midwife. Her style is so natural and mother centered. She spent so much time helping me work through mental barriers and fears. None of these issues were related to my pregnancy or lablor even. I experienced an incredibly easy and pleasant pregnancy. Contrary to my healthy but extremely weepy first pregnancy.

I am so attached to my midwife and the funny part is that she wasn't even in attendance for the birth. My water broke at 5 a.m. and my husband received our daughter into this world 1 hour and 25 minutes later. Our midwife found us 2 minutes later on the bathroom floor in an ecstatic state of laughter and tears. I was holding our daughter , rubbing her and sucking on her little nose (and I'm not sure how I decided to do that).

I had called my midwife when the waters broke and then called her an hour later to tell her that my comtractions were beginning to be intense. Immediately after I hung up the phone I felt an urgent need to ... poo ...only it wasn't that at all, but rather my daughter's head. I threw myself down on all fours and before I knew it, her head had emerged. I told my mate that he was going to need to catch the baby. His voice was steadily increasing an octave a second. He was in such shock. Out of all of the contigencies we had considered, we hadn't considered UC. Go figure. Unlike my first labor, my mind was crystal clear. I recalled my recent discussion with our midwife about letting my body do the pushing and the part she mentioned about "when you feel stinging then slow down". Our daughters head remained where it was for 2 minutes and then I felt her shoulders turn and my uterus pushed her out into my husband's waiting hands.

There was virtually no pain. I had a very minor scratch. Being at home was phenomenally different from my midwife attended, drug-free, hospital birth in that our bliss was free flowing and uninterrupted. My husband soaked up my bliss too. Our pupils were fully dialated for hours after the birth (we are told). We had the birth that was meant for us and I can say that it brought my mate and I profoundly closer. It was truly perfect and beyond our expectations.

The icing on the cake was that a week later I realised that Anwen was born 3 years to the day that I was diagnosed with stage lll colon cancer. She has, in effect, rewritten history for me...
Of course, after surgery and chemo, I am in remission and plan on mothering my children for a long time to come.

I wish you all ecstatic births and many long and lovely days of mothering.

Kimmy (32)
mother to Cruxien 8.31.99 and Anwen 3.28.04
#136 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 03:23 PM

Oh Maria, Congratulations!! I can't wait to hear the whole story. Welcome to your new boy!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#137 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 03:25 PM

Kimmy, what a beautiful birth! Thank you for sharing your story with us!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#138 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

wow kimmy amazing birth story!! I always love to hear another beautiful homebirth story and yours is so nice!
I secretly wished my midwives wouldnt make it, although im not sure my dh could handle that!

Tanja
ps have you mamas seen the link in talk amongst your selves to the beautiful homebirth of jude fairbanks, its soooooo lovely i cant get enough of it.
#139 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 04:07 PM

Kimmy,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful birth story.... so pleased you had the birth that was meant for you and your daughter.
#140 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 07:40 PM

Kimmy, thanks for sharing your beautiful birth story!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#141 of 163 Old 04-13-2004, 07:49 PM

Maria and Kimmy, Yahooooo! How wonderful! Kimmy, your story had me crying happy tears! Thanks for sharing---I'm so inspired

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#142 of 163 Old 04-14-2004, 12:13 AM

Congratulations Maria!

Kimmy, that was a wonderful birth story! I LOL about you sucking her nose! Congrats to you also!
#143 of 163 Old 04-14-2004, 02:06 AM

I wanted to post a link to some belly photos of me (and some of my daughter)

http://www.livejournal.com/users/aib...33.html#cutid1

Abby
#144 of 163 Old 04-14-2004, 07:02 PM

Abby,

Thanks for posting those pictures You look fabulous!
#145 of 163 Old 04-14-2004, 09:49 PM

Congratulations Maria and Kimmy!!!! Kimmy, what a lovely birth story. Thanks for sharing!

Abby-beautiful belly! I can't wait for that!
#146 of 163 Old 04-14-2004, 10:02 PM

HI I am a new soon to be homebirthing mom and am soooo exicted!

I just had my first meeting with the mw that was recommended to me and I LOVE her - we really clicked and my husband (who is a bit weary of hb, but is willing to go along) liked her too! I have my first apt next month - and she will come to my house for all the prenatel apts! I am just so exicted and had to share with someone! This is my first hb - my first was a hospital epidural birth, my second was a birthcenter waterbirth.....

Grace

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#147 of 163 Old 04-14-2004, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congrats to Maria & Kimmy!

I had a prenantal appointment today. I'm 30 weks 4 days. Measuring 30 weks, the heartbeat was 150 & the baby was head down. I *know* the baby is probably still turning around at this point, but I figure if it happened to be head down at the appointment, then thats how it likely spends most of it's time.

Abby, good pictures! And ZZ looks so much like her daddy in the first one!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#148 of 163 Old 04-15-2004, 12:03 AM

Interesting intuition last night...I realized after reading something somewhere on MDC that this baby seemed to be posterior. I didn't think much of it, as my intuition hasn't been workin' for me very well recently.

Today I had my 36 week appt, the m'w palpated my belly, and said "seems like the baby is a bit posterior". Cool. Well, not cool-cool, but cool that I knew it last night.

So now I get to spend my time in odd positions and sitting forward. No wonder I've been feeling the b/c contrax in my back, eh?
#149 of 163 Old 04-15-2004, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Molly,
If you havent seen this website i think its awesome... Spinning babies
It shows you how to get your baby into optimal positions throughout pregnancy and labour.
When i was in labour with my son, he was totally posterior and the midwife actually reached in and turned him around by his head while a student midwife massaged my belly in one direction to convince him to roll over while I was on my hands and knees. I was so glad because i truly felt like someone was sawing me in half my back hurt so much. With my last babe I really practised on sitting laying in good positions and she was positioned perfect and was born so easily.
Tanja
~me~
#150 of 163 Old 04-15-2004, 05:35 PM

Thanks Tanja! I had that page somewhere in my favorites, but this makes it easier on me to find.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page